Score, power company took down a tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bleoh

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
And it is right at the end of my street. Got four pickup loads this morning with my boys. Not sure what it is, but it is heavy and I think it will burn just fine in my stove!

Picture of bark and leaf

two loads done

Nope, not ash. Bark too flat- ash is more like punched & expanded metal. Likely an oak, one of the dozens of species in the area.
Need to see leaves. Density and smell would help a lot, as would a picture of branching, of another tree obviously. Best guess: white oak.

White oak
ugagysuq.jpg

Green Ash
yvesa6yt.jpg

It is not like any of the oak I normally get. The leaf is in the first picture, smooth edges and the veins alternate up the stem. The leave were in bunches of 3 to 5 grouped on a single "shoot" off the branch. There are other Ash trees on the street, I remember they had purple triangles in them with a note that they were seeing if the beetles were in the area.

Here is some oak I got with my dad a few weeks ago. I think it is red oak.

Just went out and got a close up of the bark and a picture of a very wilted branch. It was a very mature tree and seems to match some pictures of mature Ash from an google search.

It's not an ash tree. Closest I can come to ID with the leaf is Black Gum. That is one large specimen, never seen one that big. Can you run apiece through the splitter and report back to us, that will help tell if it is black gum or not.

It was very difficult to split. Stringy, similar to hickory I have split. Here is a piece I thought would be straight grained.

The leaves alternate on the stalk.

Black gum is about the worst wood I've had the displeasure to split….worse than hickory and doesn't burn anywhere close to hickory. Free is free though. Hard to pass up at the end of the street!

It sure is a pain to split. Once I get it to where the splitter wedge is aligned with the rings it is not too bad, until then it is more like I am crushing the wood and not really splitting it!

It sure is a pain to split. Once I get it to where the splitter wedge is aligned with the rings it is not too bad, until then it is more like I am crushing the wood and not really splitting it!

Well, maybe if you set up a dedicated secure noodle station, you could noodle them in half or quarters and at least bust up the center heartwood, the densest stuff, plus that gets the bark busted. Then try splitting them a few days later. Might help some.

Latest posts

Back