Scored piston on Olympik 945

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cerd

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I found some scoring on my olympik 945AF. I can get rings from Jack's, but I cant find a piston anywhere. I cant afford to toss the saw and buy a new one. It has 130 psi compression still. The scoring doesnt feel too severe, so I was wondering if could get away with sanding out the burrs on the piston and still run it.

Attachments

• 20180919_175737.jpg
    20180919_175737.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
I think that piston is done. I have taken scotchbrite and "other" methods on more then one piston to bring them back. They ussualy look ok going back in, but it's never been a happy ending. Wonder what your cyl wall looks like?

Long shot but, pistons can be somewhat generic. Possibly a 44mm one intended for a Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo etc. might work out?

I routinely use Homelite in Remingtons with minor machine work. Skirt length variations.

Not a bad idea, as long as the thing has the same diameter, and the pin fits, all you would have to do would make the shirt/cutaways the same as the one thats in there and your up and running again!

I've considered that. I would vary on how the jug looks if its even worth a new piston.

How often does the distance from the pin to the top of the piston vary and are piston knuckles all the same size?

I think that piston is done. I have taken scotchbrite and "other" methods on more then one piston to bring them back. They ussualy look ok going back in, but it's never been a happy ending. Wonder what your cyl wall looks like?
What do you mean when you say "not a happy ending"?

Update: I took the jug off and found that piston is only lightly scuffed and the cylinder still looks new.

I did, however, realize that the fuel hose that was previously used is too large and not forming a proper seal on the carb nipple. That would explain why this thing starts so hard and why it doesn't always stay running: it isn't getting enough gas.

Back