Scored Piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Brushcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi

I have a 345Rx brushcutter that has a scored piston as a result it no longer works. It went wrong when someone at work filled it with petrol rather than 2 stroke. Impressivly it ran for 15 mins before the dammage was done!

Anyway we replaced it and the thing is sitting in the shed for parts, buying a new Piston and barrel would have cost 90% of a new one so we got a new one. I was wondering if there was any way of cleaning it up so it would work again?

Thanks.

Andy

Mr_Brushcutter said:
Hi

I have a 345Rx brushcutter that has a scored piston as a result it no longer works. It went wrong when someone at work filled it with petrol rather than 2 stroke. Impressivly it ran for 15 mins before the dammage was done!

Anyway we replaced it and the thing is sitting in the shed for parts, buying a new Piston and barrel would have cost 90% of a new one so we got a new one. I was wondering if there was any way of cleaning it up so it would work again?

Thanks.

Andy

Possibly, but send a picture.... It's real hard to tell without it. Lot's of recent threads on this very same thing.

Reading the threads gave me the idea to try to fix it. Now my camera is broken at the moment so i'll try to post pictures when its up. I don't have a point of refrence for a scored piston but i'm imagine that this would be it. Lots of little lines a a few quite thick ones that appear a lot whiter than the others.

there's a good chance the barrel will clean up, even if the piston won't. I'm in the middle of this right now with an 084 stihl I bought in a basket. THe barrel looks like new after a little work, but I still need a piston, rings, and bearing.

Back