Scored some logs!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's today's.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Think of the beams you could have for building with logs that long, wow, and a CSM is not hindered by log length.

Nice loads Aggie.

Hey Aggie, what's the specs on that trailer? My next major purchase will be a trailer for general use with occasional log hauling. Any advice??

Well you didn't ask me, but I'm full of free advice, :D so take it for what it's worth.
Last summer I bought a Texas Pride dump trailer. I had them custom build it with no sides, just standards so I could build removable sides. The trailer itself is built fairly well, but 14,000 lb. gvwr dosen't mean you can actually gross that much. I haul logs mostly, and bent both axles with a 10,000 lb. load. If you buy a trailer make sure it has quality axles, and suspension (Dexter, etc.). Texas Pride never returned my call, so I guess I'll be buying some axles. The dump is really nice for logs.

Oh by the way, very nice logs. Wish we had some oak like that around here.

Andy

Well you didn't ask me, but I'm full of free advice, :D so take it for what it's worth.
Last summer I bought a Texas Pride dump trailer. I had them custom build it with no sides, just standards so I could build removable sides. The trailer itself is built fairly well, but 14,000 lb. gvwr dosen't mean you can actually gross that much. I haul logs mostly, and bent both axles with a 10,000 lb. load. If you buy a trailer make sure it has quality axles, and suspension (Dexter, etc.). Texas Pride never returned my call, so I guess I'll be buying some axles. The dump is really nice for logs.

Andy

Thanks

I've tried to stick to a 12000 lb. load since the first one. I was aware of the gvwr limit but my eyes were too big for my stomach (or something like that).

My Father's Odom dump trailer is really cool but at 16' it's a bit too short for what I got here.
:cheers:

Yep, 16' is a little short for those logs.
I have an old home made gooseneck with 6000 lb. axles that I've hauled 15,000 lb loads on, axles are fine. I guess they don't make em like they used to. Nothing wrong with the loads you're hauling, that's what trucks & trailers are for. Just make sure you don't have crappy axles. :bang:

Andy

Andy

Thanks for the input, Andy. We've got a place close by that custom builds trailers and will use the axels etc... the buyer wants. I'd like this to be a one time purchase and have a trailer build with hauling logs in mind. I know there will be times when loading eq won't be available and would like to have a method to accomodate those times, any suggestions? I've seen a few parbuckling threads on another site and that means having to have a stout winch mount on either side of the trailer. I'd also like to be able to have a removable arch on the back that would allow dragging/winching a log on from the back.

Thanks, Kevin

Thanks for the input, Andy. We've got a place close by that custom builds trailers and will use the axels etc... the buyer wants. I'd like this to be a one time purchase and have a trailer build with hauling logs in mind. I know there will be times when loading eq won't be available and would like to have a method to accomodate those times, any suggestions? I've seen a few parbuckling threads on another site and that means having to have a stout winch mount on either side of the trailer. I'd also like to be able to have a removable arch on the back that would allow dragging/winching a log on from the back.

Thanks, Kevin

Sounds like you're thinking this out quite well. Keep us posted when you pull the trigger.

Thanks, Kevin

I used to have an arch like you're talking about on my old gooseneck. It slipped into the back standard on both sides, and had pins so it would lay down. I mounted 2 hand crank winches on top of the gooseneck, one went over a pulley on the arch and tied to the log, the other went to an eye on the arch to stand it up, and get the log on the back of the trailer. From there I tied a snatch block on the log to double up one winch, and pulled it on. It would have worked better with a rolling tail, but just for the first tier of logs.
That was a long time ago, it worked, but very slow. I later made mounts on the side of the trailer for the hand crank winch, and rolled them up ramps. It dosen't take much to roll a good size log up a ramp if you run your cables right. I'm getting older now and load everything with my Bobcat. ;)

Andy

I used to have an arch like you're talking about on my old gooseneck. It slipped into the back standard on both sides, and had pins so it would lay down. I mounted 2 hand crank winches on top of the gooseneck, one went over a pulley on the arch and tied to the log, the other went to an eye on the arch to stand it up, and get the log on the back of the trailer. From there I tied a snatch block on the log to double up one winch, and pulled it on. It would have worked better with a rolling tail, but just for the first tier of logs.
That was a long time ago, it worked, but very slow. I later made mounts on the side of the trailer for the hand crank winch, and rolled them up ramps. It dosen't take much to roll a good size log up a ramp if you run your cables right. I'm getting older now and load everything with my Bobcat. ;)

Andy

Sounds like the parbuckling method is the best and only system needed, that a good thing. Should keep the cost down some. If your profile is accurate, your not getting older just getting started. As for that hand crank winch, do you remember what rating it was? I need to know what size 12v winch to look for :)

I'd like to have a bobcat but since this is just a hobby and only the bare essentials are allowed it'll just have to wait. Remember, we're using csm's to keep the equipment at a minimum :cheers:

LOL!

I'd rep you on that one but gotta spread some...:)

I'm hoping that our new contractor comes through with something like what you've got going. One area of the development has some pretty nice sized trees they need to take out, and he was not looking forward to the grinding bill. But, the rain has to stop first, raining again today.

Mark

BTW, can't help you on wdchuck, I'm dead on him too.

I'm hoping that our new contractor comes through with something like what you've got going. One area of the development has some pretty nice sized trees they need to take out, and he was not looking forward to the grinding bill. But, the rain has to stop first, raining again today.

Mark

BTW, can't help you on wdchuck, I'm dead on him too.

Good luck on that.

I found out why the operator didn't show. The job got red tagged by the city because for not having some permit (even though they already have 3). Friggin' inspectors. :rolleyes: They say I might be able to make another run tomorrow but we'll see.

Sounds like the parbuckling method is the best and only system needed, that a good thing. Should keep the cost down some. If your profile is accurate, your not getting older just getting started. As for that hand crank winch, do you remember what rating it was? I need to know what size 12v winch to look for :)

I'd like to have a bobcat but since this is just a hobby and only the bare essentials are allowed it'll just have to wait. Remember, we're using csm's to keep the equipment at a minimum :cheers:

I've been just getting started for over 20 years now. :laugh: My dad always said "It ain't the year model, it's the miles on the odometer, and the fuel used to put em there."
It's a 2000 lb. winch, I still use it on my band mill when the Bobcat's on another job. Like I said, it dosen't take much. I had one of those "cheap" 3500 lb. winches that mounts to the hitch ball to load the mill with a long time ago, worked great untill I burned it out.

Andy

Thanks for the encouragement, folks.:cheers:

I made another haul today before heading to the bandmill yard. More big pines, water oaks and sweet gum. I took pictures but lost my camera some time after that.:cry: I think I know where it may be but I'll have to wait until tomorrow to retrieve it.

Next week I may be able to scout the next phase of the development these are coming from and take my pick of what's coming down.:)

aggiewoodbutchr,
Are you milling these yourself or somebody doing it for you?

Probably a bit of both. I'll definitely mill the choice stuff myself but I might hire someone with a portable rig to mill 4/4 lumber for me. Dunno for sure yet.

Do know someone local with a portable setup?

I found a gentleman over in Tomball that has a woodmizer, but it is not a portable unit, which means loading the logs on a trailer to make the 35 mile trip there.

His price seemed decent at $35 p/hr of sawtime and $25 for a blade. I have nothing to compare to so I guess it's a fair price. I should have called him last weekend but I kept putting it off with the work schedule that I have.

We cut down a big (24"?) old oak two weekends ago and I have barely touched the main trunk yet. I have at least one more, maybe two that need to come down, when I find the time.

Ted

Back