Scored some logs!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggiewoodbutchr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I worked on getting permission for this all week and it paid off. They even helped me as you can see.:rock: Got 2 loads today and I'm going back tomorrow morning to get another load or two.

The 084 ran like a top.:chainsaw: It made bucking a 40" pine (not shown) almost too easy.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The hollow log is to be the base of a "tree house" for my daughter.:)

attachment.php

Last edited:
Nice haul, must have been something in the air tiday. I picked up about 90' of pine with the biggest being about 27" dbh, more than big enough for a manual mill. Most of it's going to be used for dimensional lumber, subject to change :clap:

I really like running the 084, to the point of keeping a 36" bar on it when it's not on the mill. Picked up a 30" cannon for the 066. Just can't have too many saws :cheers:

Hey Aggie, what's the specs on that trailer? My next major purchase will be a trailer for general use with occasional log hauling. Any advice??

There are 3 or 4 dozier piles full of 12-20 inch red oak nearby. Should I fool with trying to get some, or will it be too "windshook" and dirty to fool with-as well as dangerous to saw back out of the piles? Looks like it'll be burned otherwise.

There are two logged sites nearby as well. I'm going in to get the "middlins" as I can. Middlins--logs too small to be commercially viable and too big for firewood.

I like that fifth axle on the back of the pickup, don't see many of those over here in the UK, makes real scense to run a big trailor that way, maybe I will make something like that for mine one day, nice logs you have there, would make some nice pergolas or large garden frame structures, which are sought after here in the UK.
I have made a few in the past, real easy to constuct, saw them up green and build them quickly, get your cash quicker too.

Thanks for the encouragement, folks.:cheers:

I made another haul today before heading to the bandmill yard. More big pines, water oaks and sweet gum. I took pictures but lost my camera some time after that.:cry: I think I know where it may be but I'll have to wait until tomorrow to retrieve it.

Next week I may be able to scout the next phase of the development these are coming from and take my pick of what's coming down.:)

Hey Aggie, what's the specs on that trailer? My next major purchase will be a trailer for general use with occasional log hauling. Any advice??

This one is rated at 14,000 lbs. Advice? Get one as big as you can pull and afford. A trailer is rarely too big but often too small for what you want/ need to do. Also, I'm not much of a fan of lowboy trailers for log hauling. Low deck is the way to go IMO.

But, then again, who am I to give advice. I don't own any of it. I just use it... a lot.:)

This one is rated at 14,000 lbs. Advice? Get one as big as you can pull and afford. A trailer is rarely too big but often too small for what you want/ need to do. Also, I'm not much of a fan of lowboy trailers for log hauling. Low deck is the way to go IMO.

But, then again, who am I to give advice. I don't own any of it. I just use it... a lot.:)

Sound advice. I was using a trailer with 2 - 3000# axels and had it loaded out on both trips. I was thinking along the lines of a gooseneck float about 24' with 2 - 7,000# axels with brakes. Do you like the low deck better than a float?

Sound advice. I was using a trailer with 2 - 3000# axels and had it loaded out on both trips. I was thinking along the lines of a gooseneck float about 24' with 2 - 7,000# axels with brakes. Do you like the low deck better than a float?

It's easy to overload one. After I got home with the first load I calculated it's approximate weight at 15000. Oops:) No problems, though.

For somethings floats are definitely better but if I had to choose just one, it would be a low deck. The drop tail can be annoying, though. I drag butt in parking lot entrances all the time.

I scored the middlins next door.

Found a walnut--full length on the ground. Then I found the split running from the top down. Bucked it anyway. Made two 6' lengths about 14" Looks like I can saw out the splits...

And there's a bunch of cherry in there. Have the trailer, got to work up a loading method.

There are 3 or 4 dozier piles full of 12-20 inch red oak nearby. Should I fool with trying to get some, or will it be too "windshook" and dirty to fool with-as well as dangerous to saw back out of the piles? Looks like it'll be burned otherwise.

There are two logged sites nearby as well. I'm going in to get the "middlins" as I can. Middlins--logs too small to be commercially viable and too big for firewood.

I carry a wire brush when I'm bucking dozed trees to clean as much dirt away from the cut. As long as the dozer operator was just pushing them to make a pile and not trying to break them down it could be worth going after. Just be smart about your cut choices and be careful.

Back