Scored some old saws today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bama

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Karlstad, MN---Where the earth meets the sky.
I drove out to nowhere Minnesota this afternoon and bought a Mall GP, Homelite 600D, and a Remington SL4. The Remington runs and all three look to have very good compression. I got them really cheap so I couldn't say no even though these saws are a little older than I am used to.

I don't know if these are very valuable or rare saws. They all show paint wear, but are complete with the exception of the muffler on the Homlite.

It looks like they will be fun to work on. :rock:

bama said:
I drove out to nowhere Minnesota this afternoon and bought a Mall GP, Homelite 600D, and a Remington SL4. The Remington runs and all three look to have very good compression. I got them really cheap so I couldn't say no even though these saws are a little older than I am used to.

I don't know if these are very valuable or rare saws. They all show paint wear, but are complete with the exception of the muffler on the Homlite.

It looks like they will be fun to work on. :rock:

The 600D is a solid saw. Definantly worth fixing in my opinion. Do not worry about the muffler as there was not much of one to begin with. It was more of a deflector than a actual muffler and would be easy enough to make a replacement. Also, it was a common part used on many different Homelites so you could probably find a used one. I like using mine occasionally. I do not think a 600D would qualify as rare but they can fetch good money. I have seen $40.00-250.00 depending on condition.

The SL4 is up to you, I am not a fan of that series of Remingtons and it would be on the low end of saws to work on for me. Some people really like them I do not think they were much of a saw. The SL4 is fairly common and usually not high value. I see them in the $10.00-60.00 depending on condition a couple times a year.

I do not know anything about Malls. I have only seen two and they were not for sale.

Glad to hear you got some older saws and hope you have fun working on them.

RandyMac said:
The Homelite is a solid saw, the muffler is not really needed, however, the cylinder shroud is. Overheating is very possible, and has killed more old saws then straight gas has. You can run it without the shroud, just keep an eye on operating temps..

Good point on the shroud. I just assumed that the cylinder was meant to be out in the open. I will have check on if I want to get a shroud for it or just sell it as it is. But, I would like to try to get it running and try it out first. I am not interested in keeping saws this old for too long. I like to have $$$ available for the right Jonsey's when they come along.

Latest posts

Back