Scored Stihl 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a scored Stihl 044. As seen in my sig. I cant make up my mind on which balieys P&C kit. Any suggestions? and what comes in the kits?
Thanks,
Anthony.C

Make sure that your saw has the 12mm wrist pin before you order anything. I have the Big Bore kit and it works well gasketless (sealant at the base instead of using the supplied gasket)

My 440 is wearing a ported Mahle 460 P&C.

did your kit take a while to get broke in and make good power ? i have a 440 bigbore kit ,my stock 044 10mm eats it up on power trying figure out why ,(sorry not trying hijack this thread )

A stock 10 mm 044 with an OEM piston and cylinder will eat the BB kits unless the BB kit is ported properly. The older 10 mm OEM was the more powerful from the factory setup, so I have found by running them all.
Pioneerguy600

IMHO, it should make good power from the beginning.

maybe i gotta blem ,ive ran 3 tanks fuel through this saw ,pretty disapointed it starts and runs ok and reves just when put side by side with my stock one ,the stock one seems have more power ,i just ordered a oem top end hopefully that runs better ,ill find out when it shows i guess ,if not both 044 saws up for sale and im getting a brand new 460

A stock 10 mm 044 with an OEM piston and cylinder will eat the BB kits unless the BB kit is ported properly. The older 10 mm OEM was the more powerful from the factory setup, so I have found by running them all.
Pioneerguy600

that may be my problem my old 10 mm may just be more powerful ,guess ill see after get new oem top end ,if not its new 460 time ,was trying build nice 440 for the pound difference in weight savings over having a 460 ,and seems like lot of guys swear by the old 044 and 440 saws

The 10 mm OEM cylinder is different from the later 12 mm 044 and MS440. There are port size and transfer tunnel differences plus the early 044`s had a more open muffler. You can open the muffler easily but to redo the porting on the later cylinders require more work and understanding. I built up a MS 440 using an OEM 10 mm cylinder just for kicks, ported it some and ran it against my new stock MS 440, the new saw was noticably slower. I have tried porting the MS440 and doing the same mods to it as I did to the 10 mm saw, the 10 mm is still stronger.
Pioneerguy600

maybe i gotta blem ,ive ran 3 tanks fuel through this saw ,pretty disapointed it starts and runs ok and reves just when put side by side with my stock one ,the stock one seems have more power ,i just ordered a oem top end hopefully that runs better ,ill find out when it shows i guess ,if not both 044 saws up for sale and im getting a brand new 460

let us know when they go for sale

The 10 mm OEM cylinder is different from the later 12 mm 044 and MS440. There are port size and transfer tunnel differences plus the early 044`s had a more open muffler. You can open the muffler easily but to redo the porting on the later cylinders require more work and understanding. I built up a MS 440 using an OEM 10 mm cylinder just for kicks, ported it some and ran it against my new stock MS 440, the new saw was noticably slower. I have tried porting the MS440 and doing the same mods to it as I did to the 10 mm saw, the 10 mm is still stronger.
Pioneerguy600
wonder if the lighter conecting rod helps ? im just going off #s ive read on specs old 10mm they had 5.1 hp and newer 12mm ms saws 5.6 hp i think then around 6 hp for a 460
i ran a newer ms440 last weekend and it had decent power like my older saw ,i live in a logging town for the trees around here the local loggers swear by the ms460 and 660 ,and did mention some of the older 44's were real good

The 460 BB will fit with the same work a oem 460 topend takes. I had a 10mm 044 and it was a good runner for sure. It was as strong as the first 460 I had.

Latest posts

Back