Scrap Metal Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mechanizm

shimi super-pit
Reaction score
i have found some amazing chainsaws at the local scrap metal yard. most recently i found a Poulan 53 which is in good shape and has the orig bar. i did some basic work on it today and it had good spark! i found an old mccolluch 1-85 with a 36" bar and it runs! i also found several old metal case homelites that i was using to cut firewood. i then found a nicer, newer homelite that i got running strong and used it for while. but then i found a craftsman 36cc, 16" that was in like-new condition. got it home and it had no spark. so last week i looked at it in detail. i fixed the spark and fired it up! this saw starts and runs so well that it's now my go-to saw.

thanks to epa, many people get frustrated with their saw when it stops running. sometimes it's as simple as a carb adjustment but epa has made that more difficult so they just trash the entire saw and buy a new one. it's my contention that the pollution caused from the building of new machines when the EPA choked ones die prematurely is greater than if they'd let these saws run a little richer. but until we get a libertarian administration, nothing will change in this regard, or any other regard for that matter. but, this allows those of us with a little know-how to score some fine machines for pennies on the dollar. i got all of these saws for .50/lb! the ones that i didn't want to fiddle with were sold on ebay. i got $67.00 plus shipping for an old Stihl. there's money in them thar scrap yards....

pictured is my "new" craftsman 36cc / 16". who makes this for craftsman, Husky or Poulan?

humph, there ain't nothing like that no where in tennessee. must be a texas thing. 'cause i've looked all 'round here and you just don't find saws in the scrapyard. not ever. i mean never. no sense in trying. don't even think about it. it's absurd. total waste of time.

wink wink

humph, there ain't nothing like that no where in tennessee. must be a texas thing. 'cause i've looked all 'round here and you just don't find saws in the scrapyard. not ever. i mean never. no sense in trying. don't even think about it. it's absurd. total waste of time.

wink wink

No saws at our Scrapyards either.

The local one is owned by one of my wifes 319 cousins, and she calls me every week or so to tell me there's still no scrap saws turned in.
Folks must be using 'em for ballast. I just don't get it.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

at the scrap metal yard, people junk them all the time as well as a host of other very good engines. i found a Maico 440 dirt bike engine and bought it for around $30.00 and sold it shortly thereafter for $450. :greenchainsaw: i missed out recently on a kubota 3cyl diesel engine. that pissed me....

check out my ebay auctions to see some of the saws i bought for .40/lb. my ebay name is "commieplot". ya'll are missing out.

scrapyards

wink wink

I'm an east Tenn redneck myself, and I'll haul a load to the scrapyard maybe every couple months, I'm slowly cleaning up all the leftover steel on an ancient but still running farm. A few years before I was infected with CAD by reading this website, an old blue Homelite XL12 that was rusting away in a shed was tossed in one of my loads. I didn't think I had the skills to revive it, and had no interest anyhow, thinking it no match for my Huskys.

At just about every scrapyard I've been to, they don't let you pick through any of the stuff that's already on the ground. You dump your stuff and get out of the way. In no time at all, a loader will be by to dump it in the crusher. Bye bye XL12. I didn't know that I could have ebay'd it just as it was.

I'm an east Tenn redneck myself, and I'll haul a load to the scrapyard maybe every couple months, I'm slowly cleaning up all the leftover steel on an ancient but still running farm. A few years before I was infected with CAD by reading this website, an old blue Homelite XL12 that was rusting away in a shed was tossed in one of my loads. I didn't think I had the skills to revive it, and had no interest anyhow, thinking it no match for my Huskys.

At just about every scrapyard I've been to, they don't let you pick through any of the stuff that's already on the ground. You dump your stuff and get out of the way. In no time at all, a loader will be by to dump it in the crusher. Bye bye XL12. I didn't know that I could have ebay'd it just as it was.

There are advantages to skulking about in the smaller satellite collection yards.

They pile the stuff according to type, and wait for pick up and haul to the main yard.;)

If ya find anything, skip paying scrap price and ask "Will ya take 10 bucks".
On the next visit, the guys often point out tasty morsels to be looked over in thier own little pile on the side.;)

No.
I ain't tellin.:D
It's all clapped out junk so far anyhow.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

check out my ebay auctions to see some of the saws i bought for .40/lb. my ebay name is "commieplot". ya'll are missing out.

shhhhhizzzzzznit!

don't give away yOur resources. :monkey:

oh and it's 15 cents per pound here....they tell me. not that i've bought anything.

scrap saws

We've found a few in our local scrap yard as well. A husky 181 that needed just a little tuning and it runs great. A husky 55 that needs a flywheel and also a 162, although more sevierly damaged with a scorn piston and missing the muffler. Oh and also a whole wheelbarrow full of McCulloch 10-10's. Its great finding treasures in the srap!!! :cheers:

Just an ole XL-12 for saws.

Best score was a one lunger that I flipped for a nice bit of jangle. Scored a Model A engine a few years back. Muzzle break off from a T26E was probably the weirdest thing I've found in the steelpile. Couple of Nazi helmets. A couple of the old enameled advertising signs from the 30s - one was a Hood milk sign used for target practice by a guy aparently in desperate need of sighting in his scope.

One day the brasspile yielded a boxful of WWI-era trench art. Mostly vases and ashtrays fabbed outta spent 75 casings.

If I were a buddhist, I'd swear to have been a catfish in a previous life given my prediliction to benefit off from the cast offs and detrius of others. :)

I've got a few deals, but our local scrap yards are very proud of their saws. There was a Stihl 460 that had been hit by a tree. Crankcase was cracked on one side for sure, fuel tank was busted, 3/4 wrap handle was toast, recoil cover was shot, chain cover was in two pieces. It was a pile of broken parts. I asked because I was thinking I could maybe get a carb, clutch and oil pump parts, muffler etc. I think the jug would have been shot too.

The price?

$110.00

"It's a Stihl and I know what the parts are worth."

I said "Good, then you can have the trouble of selling them for what they're worth."

That was eight months ago and it still sits there, corroding away.

Mr. HE:cool:

If I were a buddhist, I'd swear to have been a catfish in a previous life given my prediliction to benefit off from the cast offs and detrius of others. :)
yo, don't disparage my lovely pylodictis olivarus a/k/a the flathead, yellow cat, opelousas, mud cat, etc.

they don't eat turds and garbage like the other catfishes (and those "farm-raised" filthy excuses for fish)

i bait for them with fish large enough to eat. mof i've eaten my bait after a bad night of fishing.

so stink bait all you want, you ain't fishing for my catch. if you catch a flathead on a hook with stink, you'll notice that there's a channel or blue cat in between the two! yeah, i bait with channel cats when i can... yellows are also the ones we noodle for. they are apex predators.

more info: http://deweyvillecatfishtx.tripod.com/id49.htm

but i know what you mean about hounding the scrap yard. i always come home with more than i haul out there. good news is that i'm buddies with the owner...and his boy will pull the good stuff aside for me.

but there's never nothing like that out there not at all ever--i'm sticking to my story like a polly tit shun.

Last edited:
Found a few $2 saws in the junk yard all have made me money. either from parts or runners. Scrap prices down now its be slim pickens for any thing when the price goes up and spring cleaning comes I'll be there almost every day on my lunch hour.

Jeremy

Every where you go looking for old saws you should get to know one of the guys that work there on a regular basis, find out when they take their breaks and what he would like to have ,like a coffee,hot chocolate ,muffin or donought etc. You may call this sucking up but even if it is it gets good results. I tend to work the I`ll give you some $ for said saws, they may weigh them and maybe not but I picked up 15 Homelite XLA`s and built 12 runners and had spare parts to fix 3 more saws over a couple months. 14 of those saws are still cutting wood for their new owners, one got straight gassed and one got run over with a woodsplitter so there is another project when I get time. Shop owners, repair shops and even junkyards are good places to make an inroad if you want to pick up cheap saws.
Pioneerguy600

Our Boy Scouts sponsor a town clean up day twice a year. We bring in 4 big roll backs and the Scouts unload and separate the trash. We always get lots of gas power tools trashed. We set aside anything that looks servicable so people can grab and go. Last year I grabbed a Toro 2 stroke self propelled lawn mower. It looked day one brand new. The fuel tank had been wiped so clean it looked like fuel had never been in it. Took it to my buddies house and put mix in. Fired up and ran pefect. The only thing I could figure is they didn't like the fact that it was kinda loud and sounded like runnig a chainsaw wide open. Gave it to a single mom at work that has a small town house. Haven't scored any saw though, Joe.

Back