Scratcher Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to know how individual pieces of wood are cut, what different companies use, or when it is operator skill, etc

I have seen the Holtec saws used at lumber yards leaving pretty uniform ends. Not sure what Lowe's quality standards are.

Philbert

Their standards are if it sort of looks like lumber, let's sell it. If you need rocking chair runners, hockey sticks or candy canes, that's the best place to go! I don't bother anymore, the local place is a bit more $$, but the lumber is 10x better. Their cull pile is nearly better even.

I bought a bundle of 2x4s and so did a friend, we ended up returning well over 50% of it, and even of the 25% that was usable, alot of it was pretty crappy still. There were some that were like 3" wide, some 1.25" thick, half blown out with a sap pocket, nearly broken in half, bark on an edge still, etc.
I'm pretty sure they end up with the cull wood from everyone else!

Hard to know how individual pieces of wood are cut, what different companies use, or when it is operator skill, etc

I have seen the Holtec saws used at lumber yards leaving pretty uniform ends. Not sure what Lowe's quality standards are.

Philbert

We run a large Holtec at the mill I work at, it runs .404 tungstan skip, it does a very accurate cut.

Had this given to me a while ago, I'm told it's a sharpening jig for scratcher chain. I've never worked out how to use it, looks to be missing a parts.
Looks like the fingers might guide the vertical angles and the top would be used to 'joint' the teeth at a uniform height. Might be specific to one brand / type of chain?.

STIHL says it can be sharpened on the USG grinder. Like anything else, might make more sense after some shows you how to do it.

Philbert

No, it has the watermark, but they are still readable.

I have never owned or even used a scratcher chain, but while sorting through a "grab bag parts lot" came across repair links for Homelite scratcher chain RH & LH raker, RH cutter, and 2 presets.

My Disston DO-100 running straddle-type scratcher chain.

2d3976180d1ac61804c117f42dadafdb.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Some Scratcher Chain from 'Philbert's Chain Salvage Challenge' Thread
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/philberts-chain-salvage-challenge.245369/

View attachment 397403
View attachment 397404

Mall 3/4 inch pitch, 0.077 inch gauge?

View attachment 397409
STIHL 0.6 inch pitch, 0.063 inch gauge, hollow rivet - from STIHL 'BL' or BLK' saw?

***I would love to find additional samples/types if anyone has sections or pieces (in any condition!).***

Philbert

That's what I appear to have on my 1961 BLK.

Philbert yours for $70 includes shipping. 50 DL and one portion cleaned to show better. If you don't want it then any body else can have first come first served.

Attachments

• DSCN3270.JPG
    DSCN3270.JPG
    969.1 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN3271.JPG
    DSCN3271.JPG
    1,001.7 KB · Views: 14
Philbert yours for $70 includes shipping. 50 DL and one portion cleaned to show better. If you don't want it then any body else can have first come first served.
I’m looking for something for ‘show-and-tell’ purposes. That loop looks it still is usable!

What are the pitch, gauge, and brand, if known?

Thanks

Philbert

Back