Scratcher Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No separate thread. I started this thread because a lot of guys had never heard of scratcher chain. I have learned a lot since starting it!

Chipper is more similar to chisel and semi-chisel chain - except for the obvious profile differences.

Lots of variations, especially if you look at some of the different things tried through the years.

Philbert
I found a new chipper chain in my garage that was probably there for 30 years. It was a 59 link chain instead of the 60 we normally use. Just needed to back off the tensioner almost all of the way and its good to go. I can't tell a difference in cutting speed from that to semi when I'm in the woods.

Chipper reportedly holds up better in dirty wood, but cuts slower. Worked with some of the older, high torque, lower speed saws.

Still made for harvester applications, but I don't think anyone makes it for hand held saws anymore.

Philbert

Would be neat to see a video on how that type of chain used to cut .... Probably slower but still would be cool. Probably a good sharpening would last quite a while.
Id bet its not much slower id almost say faster and less chance of clotting or plugging up and thats gotta leave a smoother cut

Some Scratcher Chain from 'Philbert's Chain Salvage Challenge' Thread
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/philberts-chain-salvage-challenge.245369/

View attachment 397403
View attachment 397404

Mall 3/4 inch pitch, 0.077 inch gauge?

View attachment 397409
STIHL 0.6 inch pitch, 0.063 inch gauge, hollow rivet - from STIHL 'BL' or BLK' saw?

***I would love to find additional samples/types if anyone has sections or pieces (in any condition!).***

Philbert
My Danarm whipper has a very similar chain to this. Marked as DANARM. it is 0.6 inch pitch x 60 thou. Nice pictures! Thanks

Here are a couple of pictures of the chain on the 1957 Danarm. the It's 0.6 inch and measures at 60thou. Are there any suppliers still producing this chain I wonder?. Sharpening it could be fun!

Attachments

• Whipper_Chain_1.jpg
    Whipper_Chain_1.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Whipper_Chain_2.jpg
    Whipper_Chain_2.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 39
This is what I remember about scratcher chain. When we sold the Homelite 26LCS in 1951, they were sent with a scratcher chain. We started our business with a shoe box of parts and one 26LCS we used as a demonstrator. When we had a customer, we would order one more saw for him. They had the scratcher chain. We didn't know anything about sharpening them, but soon found out. It wasn't difficult to start a business and we didn't have much money..
I don't remember when the round tooth chain came on the market. But the history on the first chain like we know it today was founded by Joe Cox. He worked in the woods and watched an insect working on wood and boring. He used that information to start the round chain. It first was called the Cox chain and he later sold his invention to Oregon Saw Chain. I hope this history is interesting for the younger generation.
chainsawlady

Last summer I bought at a historic agri show a Dolpima saw think it"s a BK3A from the pictures on Mike Acres Siite it came with a "Scratcher"Chain it was pretty blunt & I wanted to fry out the saw so swapped for a 3/8 chain & it performed well I did the time honored thing of storing the Scratcher in a safe place & now I cant find it & can't remember the safe storing place I"ve since moved the saw on & "ONE" day I remember where I put the Chain

Apparently STIHL still makes scratcher chain for the Holtec 'package cutting' saws (below), including a carbide tipped version. They claim that this chain leaves a cleaner, smoother edge on prepared lumber than chipper type teeth. However, the Holtec USA rep refused to sell me even a sample piece, because I am not a registered user of their equipment. Maybe if someone knows a lumber yard that uses this equipment . . . .

Philbert
View attachment 397738 View attachment 397739
View attachment 397744
I always wondered how accurate those setups are? I've gotten 2bys from Lowes (real crap wood they sell) and it's been +- a solid 1/2"!

BUMP!

Any new scratcher chain finds?

(Too bad that photobucket ruined Mr. Bow Saw's helpful instructions on the previous page)

Philbert

I'd have to dig in the shed, but probbably there's some in there. If anything on old saws.... though I just looked at a WW2 circa electric saw and it has a modern style chain as well as the McCulloch and Mercury 2 man saws, those from the 50s? maybe.

I've gotten 2bys from Lowes (real crap wood they sell) and it's been +- a solid 1/2"!
Hard to know how individual pieces of wood are cut, what different companies use, or when it is operator skill, etc

I have seen the Holtec saws used at lumber yards leaving pretty uniform ends. Not sure what Lowe's quality standards are.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back