Scratcher Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No separate thread. I started this thread because a lot of guys had never heard of scratcher chain. I have learned a lot since starting it!

Chipper is more similar to chisel and semi-chisel chain - except for the obvious profile differences.

Lots of variations, especially if you look at some of the different things tried through the years.

Philbert
I found a new chipper chain in my garage that was probably there for 30 years. It was a 59 link chain instead of the 60 we normally use. Just needed to back off the tensioner almost all of the way and its good to go. I can't tell a difference in cutting speed from that to semi when I'm in the woods.

S_Bluck

S_Bluck

ArboristSite Lurker
Some Scratcher Chain from 'Philbert's Chain Salvage Challenge' Thread
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/philberts-chain-salvage-challenge.245369/

View attachment 397403
View attachment 397404

Mall 3/4 inch pitch, 0.077 inch gauge?

View attachment 397409
STIHL 0.6 inch pitch, 0.063 inch gauge, hollow rivet - from STIHL 'BL' or BLK' saw?

***I would love to find additional samples/types if anyone has sections or pieces (in any condition!).***

Philbert
My Danarm whipper has a very similar chain to this. Marked as DANARM. it is 0.6 inch pitch x 60 thou. Nice pictures! Thanks

chainsawlady

chainsawlady

This is what I remember about scratcher chain. When we sold the Homelite 26LCS in 1951, they were sent with a scratcher chain. We started our business with a shoe box of parts and one 26LCS we used as a demonstrator. When we had a customer, we would order one more saw for him. They had the scratcher chain. We didn't know anything about sharpening them, but soon found out. It wasn't difficult to start a business and we didn't have much money..
I don't remember when the round tooth chain came on the market. But the history on the first chain like we know it today was founded by Joe Cox. He worked in the woods and watched an insect working on wood and boring. He used that information to start the round chain. It first was called the Cox chain and he later sold his invention to Oregon Saw Chain. I hope this history is interesting for the younger generation.
chainsawlady

Little Al

Little Al

Addicted to ArboristSite
Last summer I bought at a historic agri show a Dolpima saw think it"s a BK3A from the pictures on Mike Acres Siite it came with a "Scratcher"Chain it was pretty blunt & I wanted to fry out the saw so swapped for a 3/8 chain & it performed well I did the time honored thing of storing the Scratcher in a safe place & now I cant find it & can't remember the safe storing place I"ve since moved the saw on & "ONE" day I remember where I put the Chain

ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
Apparently STIHL still makes scratcher chain for the Holtec 'package cutting' saws (below), including a carbide tipped version. They claim that this chain leaves a cleaner, smoother edge on prepared lumber than chipper type teeth. However, the Holtec USA rep refused to sell me even a sample piece, because I am not a registered user of their equipment. Maybe if someone knows a lumber yard that uses this equipment . . . .

Philbert
View attachment 397738 View attachment 397739
View attachment 397744
I always wondered how accurate those setups are? I've gotten 2bys from Lowes (real crap wood they sell) and it's been +- a solid 1/2"!

ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
BUMP!

Any new scratcher chain finds?

(Too bad that photobucket ruined Mr. Bow Saw's helpful instructions on the previous page)

Philbert

I'd have to dig in the shed, but probbably there's some in there. If anything on old saws.... though I just looked at a WW2 circa electric saw and it has a modern style chain as well as the McCulloch and Mercury 2 man saws, those from the 50s? maybe.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
I've gotten 2bys from Lowes (real crap wood they sell) and it's been +- a solid 1/2"!
Hard to know how individual pieces of wood are cut, what different companies use, or when it is operator skill, etc

I have seen the Holtec saws used at lumber yards leaving pretty uniform ends. Not sure what Lowe's quality standards are.

Philbert