Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day scroungers!

20 degrees C with a windchill of 20 degrees C here this morning. I had some unfinished business at the Lady Farm this morning from previous scrounges. There was this:

13th Mar 1.jpg

And there was this:

13th Mar 2.jpg

The 460 was pressed into service to take care of these long dry peppermint logs. They're as dry as a chip and ready to go.

13th Mar 5.jpg

I haven't used the log jack very much but it was great for these long skinny logs, zzzt, zzzt, zzzt.

13th Mar 7.jpg

I also had this left over from a previous scrounge:

13th Mar 4.jpg

Which after a bit of Limby action became this

13th Mar 6.jpg

So I split all that up and loaded it then went back to the dry stuff I cut earlier. Tragically, I couldn't fit it all on the trailer so I'll have to go back another time to get the rest.

13th Mar 3.jpg

I forgot my cargo net and rope and I wasn't keen to drive along the highway without it tied down and attract the attention of the highway patrol nazis, so I dropped some of the dry stuff off at the Lady Farmer's house and reorganised the remaining wood for safe transportation.

:)

Can barely walk in my yard right now without maring it up, so no scrounging here. Just way too wet. We went from no rain in 4 months to more rain than we need. Got my limited caps pulled off of my echo cs590 and will start fixing my little mini Mac to have a top handle saw soon. Hopefully can get them tuned and running right if it will ever quit raining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I got a new-to-me Jonsered 2152 last week so I've been looking for a chance to see how it does. My first red saw. It looks good, even when dirty. This week the tenant has been evicted and moved out of the rental house that has the downed trees I've got permission to cut, so I loaded up and went over today to get a good close up look.

There are 2-3 different groups of trees down.
cd638e03305981fdc55025f25720bdba.jpg

6df3e4c5ae45507bab8fe2b7ec606091.jpg

Some of the wood is really big, so the 2152 won't be doing all the work, but I started on the smaller stuff with it. It did really well. I'm glad to know I didn't buy something with hidden problems. God forbid I am ever limited to one saw, but for cutting firewood I could live with it being my only one.
e857a3c13ae3e1904439207e42ec497b.jpg

The woodchuck I got for Christmas is going to be really handy, if only as extra insurance to keep my chain out of the dirt. Glad I got it.
1694cec0f93a03d6f4c11dc148c1edfe.jpg

There's quite a bit of rotten wood, but even at that there will be several loads of good solid firewood out of the total haul. And it's free, so I take the good with the bad to help get that "repeat customer."

Some of the stuff is too big for a 52cc saw to handle comfortably or efficiently, so I brought my 372xp. It only has a 20 inch bar, but it's interesting to see and hear the difference in performance 45 seconds after running a smaller saw.
3dadc968159037ca28e8472a38beed81.jpg

I only had limited time, and I was afraid if I cut more than I could haul in my one load for the day, the rest might "disappear" before I could get back over there later this week. So I got a smaller load to start with. Next time I go I'll have two trucks and a trailer, and my younger brother to help.
0773246b43c36c9c1fde6c999ad0a7c3.jpg

It was a relaxing way to kill a little time in a Sunday afternoon.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Nice scrounging! There's quite a contrast between our respective scrounge pics.

I got a new-to-me Jonsered 2152 last week so I've been looking for a chance to see how it does. My first red saw. It looks good, even when dirty. This week the tenant has been evicted and moved out of the rental house that has the downed trees I've got permission to cut, so I loaded up and went over today to get a good close up look.

There are 2-3 different groups of trees down.
cd638e03305981fdc55025f25720bdba.jpg

6df3e4c5ae45507bab8fe2b7ec606091.jpg

Some of the wood is really big, so the 2152 won't be doing all the work, but I started on the smaller stuff with it. It did really well. I'm glad to know I didn't buy something with hidden problems. God forbid I am ever limited to one saw, but for cutting firewood I could live with it being my only one.
e857a3c13ae3e1904439207e42ec497b.jpg

The woodchuck I got for Christmas is going to be really handy, if only as extra insurance to keep my chain out of the dirt. Glad I got it.
1694cec0f93a03d6f4c11dc148c1edfe.jpg

There's quite a bit of rotten wood, but even at that there will be several loads of good solid firewood out of the total haul. And it's free, so I take the good with the bad to help get that "repeat customer."

Some of the stuff is too big for a 52cc saw to handle comfortably or efficiently, so I brought my 372xp. It only has a 20 inch bar, but it's interesting to see and hear the difference in performance 45 seconds after running a smaller saw.
3dadc968159037ca28e8472a38beed81.jpg

I only had limited time, and I was afraid if I cut more than I could haul in my one load for the day, the rest might "disappear" before I could get back over there later this week. So I got a smaller load to start with. Next time I go I'll have two trucks and a trailer, and my younger brother to help.
0773246b43c36c9c1fde6c999ad0a7c3.jpg

It was a relaxing way to kill a little time in a Sunday afternoon.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
leave NOTHING cut to length, laying on the ground.. itll get legs..........

Been a good cold spell here against the backdrop of a mostly mild winter. Single digits this morning, and very cold & windy now. The big storm is predicted for Monday night into Tuesday, we will see what happens. Funny how winter seems to be just starting with Spring around the corner!
Winter always seems to have one last hurrah. About 10 years ago we got 40" of wet snow in one week in April. What a mess!

We had lots of wind but only about 2" of snow overnight. We are on the north side of the big storm heading your way. Today started off in the teens but the roads are all wet and melting from the now much stronger late winter sun.

Winter always seems to have one last hurrah. About 10 years ago we got 40" of wet snow in one week in April. What a mess!

We had lots of wind but only about 2" of snow overnight. We are on the north side of the big storm heading your way. Today started off in the teens but the roads are all wet and melting from the now much stronger late winter sun.
We got about 4 inches from this last storm. Now we have to wait until next week for the snow to melt and ground to dry off again.

Got my new valve mounted for the stump bucket and grapple. Have 1 for the front grapple and 1 for the rear grapple now. Too busy to try it out and it was cold as Canada here this weekend but it did work in the shop. Took 3 trips to Princess Auto to get all the right fittings. Also put some cabinets and counter top in for my grandsons play area. He spends almost the whole weekend in there so figured he needed his own space. It counts as scrounging because the cabinets were removed from a customers house when they changed his office to white cabinets. Cherry, I have 2 uppers mounted on the other side of the shop for my wife's crap.
IMG_20170312_172431.jpg IMG_20170312_173141.jpg IMG_20170312_172726.jpg IMG_20170312_173717.jpg

Got my new valve mounted for the stump bucket and grapple. Have 1 for the front grapple and 1 for the rear grapple now. Too busy to try it out and it was cold as Canada here this weekend but it did work in the shop. Took 3 trips to Princess Auto to get all the right fittings. Also put some cabinets and counter top in for my grandsons play area. He spends almost the whole weekend in there so figured he needed his own space. It counts as scrounging because the cabinets were removed from a customers house when they changed his office to white cabinets. Cherry, I have 2 uppers mounted on the other side of the shop for my wife's crap.
View attachment 564695 View attachment 564696 View attachment 564702 View attachment 564698
You'd be a ways from a princess auto wouldn't you?

Latest posts

Back