Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nazi, drove right by your place twice last week, well Keady anyway. I'm never far from a Princess Auto, one of the perks of working on the road. Ended up going there Sunday because I'm office bound most of this week and wanted the tractor out of the shop.
If you drove through Keady on 3, you went by my house. Honk next time. Lol.

I got some ash Monday
20170313_121006.jpg

And got to play with the 455 Poulan 20170313_145403.jpg
What a crap day .... Why ?
ground got soft in the sun
20170313_123242.jpg
And than.....
20170313_141806.jpg
I did got back on my Big Red Oak20170313_184542.jpg
Had to get two trailer loads
That was a long day
Spent today moving snow 18 inches at my place.
Now I had enough fun for the last 2 days and going to bed

Went back to the rental property today and loaded up a decent trailer full of ash for my brother. Let him run the 372xp some since he has a little 435. For those of us who were enjoying weather in the 70s last Thursday, the 15-20 degree wind chill felt like Siberia today.
ebaf7f657b069d167ca5d609989fa209.jpg

Unfortunately he owns a Ford, so I was afraid I was going to have to hook the Ram up to it to pull him and the trailer home, but he managed to creak his way out of there in the "diet" truck.
162d84afdb7ba21dfa232b0274faa8a8.jpg

Still a lot of wood left to get before we're done there.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Went out to the farm again this morning for a scrounge, went pretty well with the cutting and the splitting and the loading. I'll put some pics up tomorrow. As I was driving out though, I noticed a familiar object on the ground.

15th Mar 6.jpg

Ah.

15th Mar 7.jpg

It's one thing when you lose your nuts but quite another when your handle drops off :rare2:.

Good pics! Love to see the old iron.

How do you like those Archer bars?

So far so good
I have 5 so far all Pro max solid or 1 piece bars oil holes line up
The 10 mm Jonsereds mount fit perfect on the studs
The 007 or 009 large husky mount on the 655 poulan has some movement at the tip but it's 36 inches and I use that as a felling saw
so no worries
The 196 mount on the 3700 and 4000 is ok
the chain run lower rakers but hold the edge well

My wife's birthday is in a few weeks and I usually try to get her something she wants. She's Dutch and her favorite colour is orange. I think I might have to try harder next year. She did say she could use the rope for a necktie, I have no idea what that means. She did make my supper but I'm pretty sure she spit on my grilled cheese sandwiches. I have a feeling that my birthday present in June is going to be very expensive.
IMG_20170315_202801.jpg IMG_20170315_202713.jpg IMG_20170315_170224.jpg

Well, after my handle fell off but before I picked it up, I managed to scrounge yesterday.

Here was a good sized peppermint, about 28 inches diameter.

15th Mar 1.jpg

Limby whizzed through pretty smartly.

15th Mar 8.jpg

15th Mar 2.jpg

It also didn't take much to split up a trailer load with just enough space to squeeze it through for easy loading - and there's plenty left for next time too.

15th Mar 10.jpg

Loaded up. This is the 25th trailer load I've brought home from the farm since the end of winter - about 33 cubes or 9 cords.

15th Mar 5.jpg

I drove over to the dead blue gum I dropped for the lady farmer and cut a few rounds off with the 460. I had the chain ground a while back and it was initially really grabby but settled after a bit of hand filing and it was good in the dry peppermint on Monday. It was still grabby in the dry blue gum yesterday though but that aspect improved after I cut dirt with it. Pity about the other aspect of cutting which is actually useful.

15th Mar 4.jpg

There are a couple of candlebarks in this picture, the tall trees with the white trunks. The picture doesn't give any indication of how big they are - the trunk of the larger one (which is the farther one) would be comfortably 80 inches in diameter, they are massive. There's about 100ft of trunk before you get a branch in that one too!

15th Mar 3.jpg

I might bring a tape measure next time and check the circumference. Even if I had the gear to cut one down - and it's a bit dodgy as it drops down to a creek immediately behind them - I don't think I could bring myself to drop such big units. If one happened to fall over in a thunderstorm though, there's a year's worth of wood in each.

:)

Attachments

• 15th Mar 1.jpg
    15th Mar 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
Well, after my handle fell off but before I picked it up, I managed to scrounge yesterday.

Here was a good sized peppermint, about 28 inches diameter.

View attachment 565248

Limby whizzed through pretty smartly.

View attachment 565249

View attachment 565250

It also didn't take much to split up a trailer load with just enough space to squeeze it through for easy loading - and there's plenty left for next time too.

View attachment 565251

Loaded up. This is the 25th trailer load I've brought home from the farm since the end of winter - about 33 cubes or 9 cords.

View attachment 565252

I drove over to the dead blue gum I dropped for the lady farmer and cut a few rounds off with the 460. I had the chain ground a while back and it was initially really grabby but settled after a bit of hand filing and it was good in the dry peppermint on Monday. It was still grabby in the dry blue gum yesterday though but that aspect improved after I cut dirt with it. Pity about the other aspect of cutting which is actually useful.

View attachment 565253

There are a couple of candlebarks in this picture, the tall trees with the white trunks. The picture doesn't give any indication of how big they are - the trunk of the larger one (which is the farther one) would be comfortably 80 inches in diameter, they are massive. There's about 100ft of trunk before you get a branch in that one too!

View attachment 565254

I might bring a tape measure next time and check the circumference. Even if I had the gear to cut one down - and it's a bit dodgy as it drops down to a creek immediately behind them - I don't think I could bring myself to drop such big units. If one happened to fall over in a thunderstorm though, there's a year's worth of wood in each.

:)

You've been busy on this scrounge. I like those utility trailers you guys use down there. Looks like a well made piece of kit. How's the Subaru handle towing a full load? Which motor is that one running. One of my buddies has an outback with the turbo and it hauls butt.

Keep up the good work and great pics.

You've been busy on this scrounge. I like those utility trailers you guys use down there. Looks like a well made piece of kit. How's the Subaru handle towing a full load? Which motor is that one running. One of my buddies has an outback with the turbo and it hauls butt.

Keep up the good work and great pics.

It always amazes me when I look at the pics of trailers in the US, they're massive. In my state - Victoria - my trailer is the largest you are allowed without needing a double axle and it is 7x4.5ft with 15 inch sides and I doubt that the other states are much different. They are pretty sturdy though. When I first got it, I was cutting wood with a MS310 and by the time I had cut and split enough to fill it, I had had enough fun for one day. With the better gear I have now, I'd prefer a larger trailer but can't really justify it, particularly when it's main use is going to be sharply curtailed in a couple of months time when I no longer have access to the farm.

The outback can manage a full load of dry wood ok as long as it doesn't have to go up anything too steep but if the wood is green you need to pick your battles very carefully and get a run up if you reach a hill. It has a 2.5L petrol motor which is useless below 2700rpm so pulling uphill on the farm is tricky at times especially when the grass is long and you can't see obstacles. If I'm on one of the hillier sections of the farm, I'll borrow the ute and that'll get the job done. We bought the outback about 6 months before the diesel version came out and while it is only a 2L turbo and is no racehorse, it would be much more suitable for what I'm doing. If I had a bigger trailer, my Subaru would really struggle, I think.

So the little man I like to call Wiggles and I went to the local dealer and well needless to say we are now life long customers. We walk in and the service tech comes out and gives my 2yr old a package of girl scout cookies to snack on while they sharpen a chain for me and give me advise on a new trimmer/brush cutter. Then my son found the stihls and well I'm an echo fan but hey to each their own.
2cb7d927fb6e2cea71358f9299e44181.jpg

8482ee9124b8fa9589fa646cda7bca29.jpg

7884e977ddb06f198f25f0349db19a78.jpg

Doing some scrounging
5ab0fce5b5dc43fde6611d62e3c84d98.jpg

Then I dropped a small leaner on the edge of our woods.
c91843331f25225022ffc568fbdfe6af.jpg

658c4c8205c3edcfbdcd0f8e6cd01ae4.jpg

sent from my electronic leash

So the little man I like to call Wiggles and I went to the local dealer and well needless to say we are now life long customers. We walk in and the service tech comes out and gives my 2yr old a package of girl scout cookies to snack on while they sharpen a chain for me and give me advise on a new trimmer/brush cutter. Then my son found the stihls and well I'm an echo fan but hey to each their own.
2cb7d927fb6e2cea71358f9299e44181.jpg

8482ee9124b8fa9589fa646cda7bca29.jpg

7884e977ddb06f198f25f0349db19a78.jpg

Doing some scrounging
5ab0fce5b5dc43fde6611d62e3c84d98.jpg

Then I dropped a small leaner on the edge of our woods.
c91843331f25225022ffc568fbdfe6af.jpg

658c4c8205c3edcfbdcd0f8e6cd01ae4.jpg

sent from my electronic leash
Those are great times! I bought myself one of those saws! Lol!

Back