Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3/4" inch of mud on frozen ground with a slight incline and it's down hill for a fresh running start again... plenty of frost in the ground and bare but it's like mud season already! maple sap is running good and tasty... 3.5 gallons so far with 1 001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG quart an 1 tested pint(full to the rim) of light amber grade A. sweet! as 1:6 tea spoons of the white junk !

So the little man I like to call Wiggles and I went to the local dealer and well needless to say we are now life long customers. We walk in and the service tech comes out and gives my 2yr old a package of girl scout cookies to snack on while they sharpen a chain for me and give me advise on a new trimmer/brush cutter. Then my son found the stihls and well I'm an echo fan but hey to each their own.
2cb7d927fb6e2cea71358f9299e44181.jpg

8482ee9124b8fa9589fa646cda7bca29.jpg

7884e977ddb06f198f25f0349db19a78.jpg

Doing some scrounging
5ab0fce5b5dc43fde6611d62e3c84d98.jpg

Then I dropped a small leaner on the edge of our woods.
c91843331f25225022ffc568fbdfe6af.jpg

658c4c8205c3edcfbdcd0f8e6cd01ae4.jpg

sent from my electronic leash
That's great!!!

I picked up the lil Husqvarna, for my daughter, from Sherrill tree when I placed an order a couple weeks ago!! She loves it, chases the dog around with it...
2fa7436d207b8088ef59387ef003fd67.jpg

Well some women just can't be pleased. Went to an auction today and bought a wood splitter and a pipe bended. She wasn't happy with either one. She even made a comment about with the size of pipe I have I should have bought a tubing bender not a pipe bender. I have no idea what she is talking about. She keeps this up and I won't be getting her anything.
Didn't take any pics of the splitter but I will tomorrow, 3 pth vertical with 26" stroke. They broke the casting on the valve when they unloaded it at the sale so I got a good deal and I have a new valve sitting around here somewhere anyway.
IMG_20170317_205050.jpg

Well some women just can't be pleased. Went to an auction today and bought a wood splitter and a pipe bended. She wasn't happy with either one. She even made a comment about with the size of pipe I have I should have bought a tubing bender not a pipe bender. I have no idea what she is talking about. She keeps this up and I won't be getting her anything.
Didn't take any pics of the splitter but I will tomorrow, 3 pth vertical with 26" stroke. They broke the casting on the valve when they unloaded it at the sale so I got a good deal and I have a new valve sitting around here somewhere anyway.
View attachment 565702

I think you need an intervention on auction sales haha

View attachment 565702

Every woman deserves a husband like you. Two chainsaws, a splitter and a thingy bender, what's not to like?:lol:

You get some very nice scores down there @Cowboy254 judging by your great pictures; really beautiful area of the country you're cutting in...

Kind of looks like somebody 'went' on that their round in foreground?:surprised3: Is whizzed wood higher in btu's when seasoned? :laughing:

15th-mar-2-jpg.565250

Whoever it was might want to see their doctor about their kidneys, it's either bad or really, really awesome :rock:.

Peppermint tends to have some big sap veins but makes great looking floorboards. And excellent firewood with almost no ash.

Hi all, London checking in.

After my first winter with a stove i can say its a success and worth the cutting and splitting, even my OH, who was very sceptical, has been won over by the glorious wood heat. So much so that i got the go ahead for a second stove! So the scrounging goes on.

32663180324_4834a7ed08_h.jpg

Not quite dragging so Dancan may scoff, but its well loaded down, and here is why

32663188634_e87f6ec028_h.jpg

Dancan's favorite wood.:)

32692413513_91db33c9c0_h.jpg

that's a 4'x8' pallet
This came from my usual local tree surgeon and this time he contacted me to say he had wood, oak even (I usually just get soft woods), and kept it aside for me! awesome guy.
33378948651_3076befed7_h.jpg

best of all, it was easy splitting! i never get easy splitting. 25 minutes and i felt like that Bunyon guy. So i took a few swings at that gnarly ash i've yet to deal with, the barb wire infested stuff.
33124031670_29323f28ef_c.jpg

33466639796_bc63b18d55_h.jpg

No...no I'm still s*** at splitting. This ash is much softer after 7 or 8 months drying, and as you can see i can get it to split now, but its stringy and the fibres hold it together! It can't be elm, dutch elm disease killed all our big trees, but its not how ash is described! the fiskars and the stihl maul stick firm almost each swing. In the same time the oak took i managed about 5 splits of ash :nofunny::nofunny:

still, I've another car load of Oak to collect yet so :numberone:

That's great!!!

I picked up the lil Husqvarna, for my daughter, from Sherrill tree when I placed an order a couple weeks ago!! She loves it, chases the dog around with it...
2fa7436d207b8088ef59387ef003fd67.jpg

My little lumberjack is pretty serious about cutting wood too. He's all about the PPE gear and doesn't let his older brother touch his saw either. He's my little right hand man.

IMG_1770.JPG

IMG_1772.JPG

Started on the log pile today, sure glad I have a splitter some big knots in some of it. Pretty impressed with splitter, haven't found anything to stop it yetIMG_1978.JPGThe deer came by to help but they had a hard time pulling the lever on the splitter IMG_1981.JPGAnd of course the wood dog was supervising IMG_1984.JPG

View attachment 565828 View attachment 565826 One facecord loaded up for delivery. This is one from my own stash and I don't usually deliver but I need money for my fishing boat restoration that is currently under way.
Looks good. What make of boat is that?

I want to pick up a 12-14" beater boat and trailer I can use for the lake by my hunting cabin.

Only one load today, another one for my brother. He heats almost exclusively with wood while I use wood and electric, so he'll get most of what I scrounge. I enjoy finding the wood and cutting more than him, so it's a win-win.
66d891e574549acc75832bea63f55225.jpg

And with a few exceptions I'm not real good with my wood identification when there are no leaves so I don't know what this tree is, but we're cutting and burning it anyway. It's pretty heavy compared to the ash.
7baebd09fdc9713610d023b632e02712.jpg

372f38918d0a346516566bcea564c501.jpg

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I figured I would have more scrounging opportunities after the windstorm here last week, but all I managed was this small load of pine. I'm not going to fight anybody over oak or change my schedule to get it. This pine happened to be on my route and unspoken for so it will get added to the stacks.P1060116.JPG

IMG_0179.JPG
Looks good. What make of boat is that?

I want to pick up a 12-14" beater boat and trailer I can use for the lake by my hunting cabin.
It's a Naden 16. I picked it up last year. Was a former fishing resort rental boat but is really solid and doesn't leak. Rides well and the way the hull flares at the back, it's a dry ride in rougher water.
My daughter waiting to go fishing with dad.

Back