Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 190 logs 6 to 20" by 13'4" long. Cut to 32" long, split then stacked into crates that are 30" wide x48x48". There is 44 crates here. Now I have an excuse to head back to the bush and replace the logs. I still have another pile of 190 logs but I like to keep that much around in logs. There will likely be cut into 16" to sell. Couple pics of my skid steer 3 pth attachment plate and tine rake cleaning up splitter trash. Works real handy to mount 3 pth attachments onto the loader until the cheap clip falls off.
IMG_20170628_195348.jpg IMG_20170628_200234.jpg IMG_20170628_200734.jpg IMG_20170628_200323.jpg IMG_20170628_202106.jpg

Maybe I need to eat more spinach. In all honesty I'm looking forward to giving the 038super a good go.

I've been cleaning up branch material and burning it this week - some of it is 1 inch stuff. Still happily using the 460 for it, not necessarily because it is faster in that material since it'd be much of a muchness with a smaller saw, but because with the longer bar I don't have to bend down. Once you use the bigger saw a bit your forearms will adapt and end up looking like @MustangMike 's. Chicks dig that stuff.

The adaptation goes both ways though. Having been fiskaring for the last month or so and not using the 8lb maul, I've lost some mauling form. I forgot the fiskars earlier this week and went to split a few bits with the 8 pounder and by gum it felt heavy to swing.

Well my mother bought a place with 10 acres about 2 miles from us, between clearing for fence, blow downs, and dead trees will be lots of wood to scrounge View attachment 583843View attachment 583844 Really like my 550, one of those saws that puts a smile on your face every time you use it, especially after I figured out it runs WAY better on 87 at 50:1 than 92 at 40:1, was having some hot start issues so bought another one View attachment 583845 to use while I sent the first one in to get fixed (no good dealers here), but after switching to the other mix zero issues, so now I have twins:)View attachment 583846 now I just have to figure out which one to keep..... maybe both...:)

Looks like lots of chance for chains to be rocked too.

6"???!!....I gotta little modded poalan that will put a hurtin on some 6" stuff.
I've got a craftsman (poulan) with a good muffler mod and Stihl picco chain that does great on even 10-12" stuff. Depends on which way I'm working on a tree. If I am at the small end and already have a little saw in hand I will cut till it's obvious I need to switch saws. Conversely if I have the 460 in hand, I will limb with it, for a while anyway.

Getting down to -4 tonight, our coldest of the year so far. That's cold if your house has rubbish insulation - like ours. There will be a major update to our house sometime...I need to get onto that, along with everything else.

Much as I like peppermint to burn, it doesn't get through the night that well unless you have big rounds to stuff in the firebox. Fill the box to the brim with splits and it's mostly gone by the morning and at the moment I don't have any big rounds readily available, they're buried under Mt Cowboy. While I like peppermint's low ash properties, I believe that also contributes to it burning more quickly (which is great if you want quick output from your medium density hardwood) since there's no ash coating to limit oxygen getting to the coals as they burn down. Blue gum on the other hand has higher BTUs and also a fair bit of ash, particularly in the bark. Burning bark covered small rounds would see you shovelling ash every 5 days or so. However, for getting through a particularly cold night, they might serve a purpose. There's peppermint in there now and blue gum sitting in front to go in overnight.

30th Jun 1.jpg

:blob2:

I just had a go at splitting some of the pseudo acacia, now I understand how you guys manage your boosts of 'Only had an hour so just split half a cord' and 'here's a cord I split earlier'. it is easy! i even split some with my 1.1lb kindling hatchet as the x27 was overkill. love it. wish i had something smaller than the x27 but bigger than the hatchet (which wasn't really enough)

I just had a go at splitting some of the pseudo acacia, now I understand how you guys manage your boosts of 'Only had an hour so just split half a cord' and 'here's a cord I split earlier'. it is easy! i even split some with my 1.1lb kindling hatchet as the x27 was overkill. love it. wish i had something smaller than the x27 but bigger than the hatchet (which wasn't really enough)
Fiskars makes hatchets and also an x25, a little smaller than the x27.

Latest posts

Back