Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buddy of mine "owed me one" dropped off some 2year aged wood that was stored in his pull barn. Found this bullet in a split of cherry. Was pretty wild, nice and solid wood with a section of rot, found this lead in the rot. I guess all the farms around here have trees that were hit with stray bullets....

IMG_2948.JPG IMG_2949.JPG IMG_2950.JPG IMG_2951.JPG

I know. I must be missing something. I have a NC30. I dont use the ashpan. I shovel everything out into metal bucket. I think I will have to get a screen/strainer and shovel everything out, take it all outside and sift it outside then bring the bucket with the hot coals back in but that sounds like a pain. I just hate to throw 2 gallons of heat out in the ash pile.
The ash pans are a joke, not sure what the heck they are thinking and why all the stoves have them. Maybe someone who knows some tricks to using them will show up and help me/us out, but I've never heard anyone using them.
I used to have a problem with over coaling(especially when it's very cold as the newer stoves burn all the smoke particulate and volatile gases before burning the wood itself. Then you have a large pile of coals that have lots of heat potential left in them, but will not burn hot enough to keep the house warm when it's very cold out :(. When I first started burning I had more of a problem with this because my wood was not real dry, and I didn't know how to deal with it, so I also wanted to pull out those coals/be able to separate them so as not to waste the BTU's. In my stove it has air inlets on the front and will burn the wood there first so when the stove starts to cool down(I'm talking like 400 from 450-550F) I will remove as much of the smaller coals and ash, as muddstopper was saying. Then I will pull the larger coals to the front of the stove in a large pile across the front of the stove, then I will open the draft control all the way (it looks like I'm burning real coal as the flames will many times be blue), this allows the coals to burn down and puts out a lot of heat in the front of the stove, even though the temperature of the stove is only around 400. If I want more heat then I will place a short split on top of the pile of coals(loaded east west) and also leave the drafted wide open, then the stove will put out more heat and will get up to more like 450. Sometimes I do this multiple times to reduce the excess coals as you are adding more coals by placing the split on top of the pile. Obviously this does not work well when you need to load and leave the house, then I just shovel them out.
Something else I do is to shovel out the large coals into my metal can(with a bit of fine ash on the bottom as an insulator, keeps the bottom cooler) and bring the can into the master bath(gloves are a must have for this operation) which is the farthest point away from the stove in our house. I set a spare wheel/ tire in the garden tub and then set the can inside the wheel. To the safety police; I've let the air out of the tire in case the heat to the rim gets into the tire and causes it to expand the air/increase pressure and blow up the tire. Even so it's more of a precautionary measure because I've checked the temp of the rim at the tire as well as the pressure for an increase and never saw anything I had concerns with. I've also placed my CO detector in there and had no indication of any problems. My biggest concern is that someone will walk/run into me while I'm carrying the hot coals to the back. Doing this will raise the temps in that back area substantially, usually 3-5 degrees depending in the outside temps and the amount of coals.
I can take some pictures if anyone is unclear of my explanation of these things and would like.
Hope this helps.

Buddy of mine "owed me one" dropped off some 2year aged wood that was stored in his pull barn. Found this bullet in a split of cherry. Was pretty wild, nice and solid wood with a section of rot, found this lead in the rot. I guess all the farms around here have trees that were hit with stray bullets....

View attachment 619210 View attachment 619211 View attachment 619212 View attachment 619213
That may not be "just a bullet". I have seen stories of Civil War-era bullets being pulled from trees. Dont burn that piece.

One more thing the EPA doesn't need to be involved in.
I hate the EPA with a passion just like the rest of the gubmit agencies but what if the EPA never put guidelines in for emissions on stoves? Would we still be burning with Fishers and Lilly's? That would suck. What sucks worse is the stove manufacturers should have used the technology LONG before the EPA mandated it. But they waited. Because marketing.

So, when a lot of people from other places think of NY, they just picture NYC. The don't realize we have the rugged Catskill and Adirondack Mtn ranges and that you can hunt bear in NY.

Also, there is a place in upstate NY that often has the record snow fall for the US, and is currently leading the race this year with 83 inches already!

FYI, the Civil War never made it to NY, they stopped Northern progress at Gettysburg!

3CFA9367-3D60-4456-94A4-DEE0C7312A7E.jpeg -17 this morning. The only thing firewood related that I’m going to do is to stuff it in the stove. Piddling away in my garage putting tools away after fixing my sons snowmobile. This is my current lineup. MS460, PoulanPro 5020, Craftsman 42cc.
I would like to replace the poulan with a pro 50cc. Either a 346/550 or a 260/261. But the poulan is worthless resale wise so I may as well keep it. I actually like how it handles and feels in the hands, just don’t lean too hard on it. And as for the craftsman, everyone needs a $40 saw for those dirty little jobs, pallets, throw in the boat on camping trips..etc. it’s pretty light and always starts right up, I use it a lot for limbing.
I’ve had a few saws but these are the 3 I used the most so the rest had to go to new homes.

So, when a lot of people from other places think of NY, they just picture NYC. The don't realize we have the rugged Catskill and Adirondack Mtn ranges and that you can hunt bear in NY.

Also, there is a place in upstate NY that often has the record snow fall for the US, and is currently leading the race this year with 83 inches already!

FYI, the Civil War never made it to NY, they stopped Northern progress at Gettysburg!
I didn't know where you were.

Any good saw deals on there?
nothing any of us would want. i keep eyeing up an old remy 65 cc in good shape for $75.

Is he selling his services as a firewood connoiseur for $180 a go? Or is this just a warning never to post while drunk/stoned? :laugh:
i wasn't quite sure. thought maybe he got "burnt" buying wood that he didn't like.

they made it a bit further than G-burg a few days before that battle.most troops were called back to G-burg for the big fight in july. my dad is a civil war buff and we got an education as kids. couple of pics of "Abe" my dad. i mentioned this before but he hand split locust posts for fence rails for G- burg military park. and yes Abe is a Stihl man.:laugh:
http://blog.pennlive.com/gettysburg-150/2013/06/confederate_and_union_troops_f.html20130703_102751_resized.jpg 20130703_102817_resized.jpg

Anybody have comments on the 'myth' about a saw chain propelling a bullet in a tree up to a lethal velocity, killing the sawyer? (Just heard this one recently.)

Philbert

Not possible. Chain doesn't run that fast. Just watch the speed of the chips/noodles coming off it.

Anybody have comments on the 'myth' about a saw chain propelling a bullet in a tree up to a lethal velocity, killing the sawyer? (Just heard this one recently.)

Philbert

I want to say that chain speed can be around 60 mph or more so while it wouldn't feel the greatest I can't see it killing a person, that's if it were able to actually propel the bullet. I've cut through them, Stihl chain pretty much just laughs.

Back