Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My go to firewood saw is my Stihl 029 super but I also have a Husky 394 for the really big hard woods that need a longer bar and I also have a Jonsereds 621 and a little oleomac 936 for the smaller stuff- mind you it’s cut up stuff way over its recommended use and handled it fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are going to weld on it, why not just zip them off and reweld. Seems simplest.
Not the simplest. I would have to unhook the flue, take all the brick out, take tubes out to get baffle plates out, pull the stove out and lay it on its back to lay the door in place. If I did this I would want a new set of hinges from Englander(which isnt a big deal) but thats not something I can do in the middle of a burn season.

like you said Abe was smart and then he bought a STIHL. :happy:the man wears out stihl chainsaws,literally.
Fixed it :rolleyes:.
Give that man a husky:numberone:.
Just get an echo starts every time and **** don't fall off :laughing:.
Did you here that :laugh:.

My wife said she was going to burn my favorite snow suit if I ever wore it in public again. I beat her to it. I'm going to miss this one.
View attachment 619348 View attachment 619350
Good thing it was well seasoned :blob2:.
I didn't see anything wrong with them though :(.
Looks great, I like the orange, my favorite color :clap:. Good weekend for it, I sold a ms291 this weekend and 2 snow blowers and that was a close to wood as I got as it was very busy.
Speaking of flats, I bought a Honda snowblower that had a tire off the bead, no problem right, wrong. Get it home and try using a ratchet strap that has no hooks, it works great because it doesn't kink the tire like one with hooks. But it just wouldn't stop leaking air, so a little ether came next, but every time I hit it with ether it would pop off the rim(this is new). So finally I got it on the bead and sealed up with a very little bit of ether and started to air it up, pop off the rim again for the 10th time o_O. I got on the computer and figured out Honda had engineered a tire with a metal bead that was on the inside of the tire(externally not inside the rubber) and rusted out over time :dumb:. I ended up having to buy two new tires, 15 mins after starting on them they were mounted :baba:.

Not the simplest. I would have to unhook the flue, take all the brick out, take tubes out to get baffle plates out, pull the stove out and lay it on its back to lay the door in place. If I did this I would want a new set of hinges from Englander(which isnt a big deal) but thats not something I can do in the middle of a burn season.
Pictures please.
You should be able to cut a piece of plate to set in behind the half moon(inside the stove), this will make it easy to fill without blowing the weld out the back side, then fill the half moon with weld until it's a little thicker than where it needs to be to seal and grind it flush. If there is any porosity weld the holes up and grind again, but the plate behind the weld should seal it anyway.
Lots of ways to skin a cat :yes:.

My go to firewood saw is my Stihl 029 super but I also have a Husky 394 for the really big hard woods that need a longer bar and I also have a Jonsereds 621 and a little oleomac 936 for the smaller stuff- mind you it’s cut up stuff way over its recommended use and handled it fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Howdy BFS.
I just had a guy who wanted to buy a saw from me ask if I had any parts for one of those olemacs just last week, funny you should mention it.
Sounds like you have a well rounded lineup to get things done :).

Taking a break from cutting pallets(hate cutting timber riddled with nails) and pallet boxes with my poor chainsaw. On the bright side it means a trip to the dealer to get a new chain+ voucher i have to spend as a early Christmas present maybe a nice shiny 36" bar and chain for my 660 might be on the cards1513609042330-453462495.jpg

Pictures please.
You should be able to cut a piece of plate to set in behind the half moon(inside the stove), this will make it easy to fill without blowing the weld out the back side, then fill the half moon with weld until it's a little thicker than where it needs to be to seal and grind it flush. If there is any porosity weld the holes up and grind again, but the plate behind the weld should seal it anyway.
Lots of ways to skin a cat :yes:.
All I got for now.

Attachments

• 20171215_103737.jpg
    20171215_103737.jpg
    925.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20171215_103655.jpg
    20171215_103655.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
That's some very poor quality control, or the unit was dropped and bent the hinges, what do the hinges look like.
Did what I said about the small plate behind it then filling the moon shaped spot with weld make sense.
Yes. Made sense. The tech at Englander was amazed it made it out of the factory like that also. Had I been the original purchaser, Englander would have fixed it no prob.The hinges are fine. Just welded in the wrong place.

Taking a break from cutting pallets(hate cutting timber riddled with nails) and pallet boxes with my poor chainsaw. On the bright side it means a trip to the dealer to get a new chain+ voucher i have to spend as a early Christmas present maybe a nice shiny 36" bar and chain for my 660 might be on the cardsView attachment 619415

If you cut a lot of pallets a circular saw with a demolition blade makes a whole lot of sense and will last a lifetime before needing replacement.

Yes. Made sense. The tech at Englander was amazed it made it out of the factory like that also. Had I been the original purchaser, Englander would have fixed it no prob.The hinges are fine. Just welded in the wrong place.
I'd tell them that it's a safety issue and has nothing to do with whether you are the original owner.
I learned in the trucking industry when they wanted me to do something like go over on my hrs to pull the it's not safe card , "I don't feel safe doing that" :sucks:. It works and kept me out of a lot of stupid situations others got in trouble for because they said "I'm not doing that". Many times how we word things will change the outcome, as well as talking with the right person will.
Do a bit of research and find out who monitors wood stove safety here in the US and give them a call, no need to say the manufacture right away, but get the facts on what their responsibility is as far as fixing a defect. Then call them back and share that with the "tech", if his tune doesn't change tell him that you appreciate him doing what he could to help, then ask to talk to his supervisor so you can let them know that, when you talk to the supervisor tell him what him that you appreciate what the tech had to say, but it didn't resolve the problem and share the issue with the supervisor and see what happens. I don't make any threats, but tell them what I will be doing after they let me know what they will be doing, sometimes they change their tune, but most times theses days they are like sorry about your luck buddy :yes:.
Then you just fix it:lol:.
I have a 96 Honda Accord wagon that had an issue with the drivers side seatbelt. I had my wife call them and see what they would do about it as safety devices are supposed to have a lifetime warranty on Hondas(I think all brands though, Mike?). They scheduled a time and said if there is not something jammed in it they would fix it free of charge, and they did as there was nothing in it. Go Honda:clap:, this was one good outcome, but I've had many I wasn't pleased with from many other companies.

We got a little cold blast here -15C/6F but it's 22C/72F in the house on scrounged spruce :D

5C/41F tomorrow :crazy:

79F in the house yesterday and right now on WILLOW! Of course the heat generated by constantly packing armloads to the stove may have helped some.

I see your point, but I hate to be a jerk and "leverage" a repair job out of it. I should have seen it when I looked at the stove. I should have had the original owner fill out the warranty card and send it in and get it fixed before I picked up the stove.
A lot to say, but I've said a lot the last couple days, so I'll make it brief.
If you would have had the original owner take care of the claim then they would have been leveraging a repair job out of them, regardless of whether it is the first person or you I believe the company should take ownership of it.
Also as I said, if they won't, or now if you won't, then weld it up :).

Latest posts

Back