Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Myth busters already busted that myth. When I found the first bullet I told my pal at work and he laughed and told me about the episode. I told him I was just happy the chain didn't find it. The ash tree I found the .22 in had a crazy growth, split the growth and found a the bullet. This cherry came to me split and had weird rot. I've pulled eye bolts and S hooks out the stove in with the ash shovel and wondered which piece had them, but this is the first year I've actually found the metal before it went in the stove. Couple years ago the mustang man helped me buck up some giant red oaks, we knew they had metal in certain spots. With the metal I've found makes me wonder if any of you guys have pics of crazy metal you've all found, good bad and ugly. I saw last week a picture of a brick! Killed the poor fellas new chain.

Your pops is a riot posing with the saw in full costume. But seriously Abraham Lincoln was a very intelligent man and surely would have chosen a Swedish hottie over a German slug....

Just poking some fun, as my uncle likes to mention every chance he gets, I definitely get dibs on his original Stihl, that saw is one mean SOB

Your pops is a riot posing with the saw in full costume. But seriously Abraham Lincoln was a very intelligent man and surely would have chosen a Swedish hottie over a German slug....

Just poking some fun, as my uncle likes to mention every chance he gets, I definitely get dibs on his original Stihl, that saw is one mean SOB
He is a riot Matt. when he is in parades and kid s come up to him he asks them if they want his picture and they say yes he gives them a shiny new penny. :crazy2:
he started out with a big ol david bradley. moved on to echos, and like you said Abe was smart and then he bought a STIHL. :happy:the man wears out chainsaws,literally.

Myth busters already busted that myth. When I found the first bullet I told my pal at work and he laughed and told me about the episode. I told him I was just happy the chain didn't find it. The ash tree I found the .22 in had a crazy growth, split the growth and found a the bullet. This cherry came to me split and had weird rot. I've pulled eye bolts and S hooks out the stove in with the ash shovel and wondered which piece had them, but this is the first year I've actually found the metal before it went in the stove. Couple years ago the mustang man helped me buck up some giant red oaks, we knew they had metal in certain spots. With the metal I've found makes me wonder if any of you guys have pics of crazy metal you've all found, good bad and ugly. I saw last week a picture of a brick! Killed the poor fellas new chain.
. Here's one for you. Obviously, you can see the water pipe but who knows what else is in that tree. I found this tree growing at the edge of a junk pile at the building site for our new church.
IMG_1711.JPG

Hauled 1 cord out first thing this morning that had been sitting since last weekend. Cut and hauled another cord out by noon. Next weekend cord+ is laying in the background.
IMG_6354.JPG
This load was pretty decent sized. The 2 main limbs were about 8-10 inches and the base 20-24 inches diameter depending on where the tape was put.

More questions....

I was doing more stove research today and was goin to replace my old garage stove with an Englander NC13 or 17VL. I found the Century S244 at Menards for $450. I got to looking at it close, and measured the bricks to make sure they were standard size. (Sometimes box store stoves have weird size bricks)...So has anybody any experience with one of these? For the price its kinda hard to beat for a garage/backup stove.

On a slightly seperate note, I got my NC30 from an old lady that didnt know any better. The 5/8" high density gasket was leaking a little, I suspect because the door had been latched shut for almost 2 years strait. So I tore it off before I knew none of the local stove stores had any high density gasket. So in a pinch I had to use 3/4" low density gasket, and had that worked ok I would have just left that on but after about a week it compressed too much and started sucking air under the door. After I got the new 5/8" HDG from Englander, the little gap at the latch came back. So I opened the door after the stove cooled off a little and stuck my face in the stove so I could see what was really wrong. From the facory the door hinges were welded on the face of the stove a full 1/4" too far to the left, so when you close the door, the gasket doesn't cover the little half-moon cutout. It's cut out so the latch rod misses the stove face. But there's way to much clearance. I called tech at Englander, explained the whole deal, (felt like I was singing Alice's Restraunt) and asked Englander what my options were.

1) The CORRECT way...pull the stove, flip on back, cut/reweld hinges.

2) Make a little half-moon piece of metal to weld in, and

3) My idea after I got off the fone was to bead up weld without making a piece then buff it down to shape.

Any brainiacs got any ideas?

More questions....

I was doing more stove research today and was goin to replace my old garage stove with an Englander NC13 or 17VL. I found the Century S244 at Menards for $450. I got to looking at it close, and measured the bricks to make sure they were standard size. (Sometimes box store stoves have weird size bricks)...So has anybody any experience with one of these? For the price its kinda hard to beat for a garage/backup stove.

On a slightly seperate note, I got my NC30 from an old lady that didnt know any better. The 5/8" high density gasket was leaking a little, I suspect because the door had been latched shut for almost 2 years strait. So I tore it off before I knew none of the local stove stores had any high density gasket. So in a pinch I had to use 3/4" low density gasket, and had that worked ok I would have just left that on but after about a week it compressed too much and started sucking air under the door. After I got the new 5/8" HDG from Englander, the little gap at the latch came back. So I opened the door after the stove cooled off a little and stuck my face in the stove so I could see what was really wrong. From the facory the door hinges were welded on the face of the stove a full 1/4" too far to the left, so when you close the door, the gasket doesn't cover the little half-moon cutout. It's cut out so the latch rod misses the stove face. But there's way to much clearance. I called tech at Englander, explained the whole deal, (felt like I was singing Alice's Restraunt) and asked Englander what my options were.

1) The CORRECT way...pull the stove, flip on back, cut/reweld hinges.

2) Make a little half-moon piece of metal to weld in, and

3) My idea after I got off the fone was to bead up weld without making a piece then buff it down to shape.

Any brainiacs got any ideas?
If you are going to weld on it, why not just zip them off and reweld. Seems simplest.

flatbroke, it's ash. Some did have loose bark but was sitting as logs for the 2 years.
Had some issues getting started too, Pulled the splitter out of a snow bank and didn't notice it had a flat tire until I seen the tire pop off the rim. Then last night the saw got real noisy. Bolts fell off the muffler. And this is after I had to move snow 3 times.
IMG_20171217_095704.jpg IMG_20171215_110408.jpg IMG_20171216_172059.jpg

I've got a small pile of souvenirs, mainly just fence and rather large nails.

Latest posts

Back