Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A quick derail kinda ,,, 7 years ago I had stopped in at King Di ck's place to load some pine logs I had cut , his wife came up from the beach wearing a leopard print bikini all oiled up with suntan lotion to greet me ,,, I'm glad I was wearing dark sunglasses and I got the logs loaded just the same with a little guy on one shoulder telling me a tale about an ice cold beer and pouring it on ... And another little guy on the other shoulder saying some rubbish about a story with something to do with a covet ... I could hardly hear that guy but I got the trailer loaded just the same lol

True story , a scroungers tale , no pics
Emoji-sunglasses-01.png

Pity it wasn't your birthday, you know what might have happened then.

We've hit a snag. Cowgirl had a nice trip in an ambulance this morning so we're unlikely to board our flight to Samoa from Sydney in 20 mins time. She'll be ok but having a sleepover in hospital tonight. Fishing pics will be delayed by a further week or so. Might get to do a little scrounging in the meantime. See how we go.

We've hit a snag. Cowgirl had a nice trip in an ambulance this morning so we're unlikely to board our flight to Samoa from Sydney in 20 mins time. She'll be ok but having a sleepover in hospital tonight. Fishing pics will be delayed by a further week or so. Might get to do a little scrounging in the meantime. See how we go.
Hope everyone is ok.

I hope she's on the mend fast .

My wife called me at work today , the Powerco was replacing a pole next door , they came over and asked if I wanted it for burning , they said it's an old untreated Douglas fir ....

Way better than a free pallet in my books , they even put it beside my softwood pile :)

Got the neighbors 011AVT back together. New sprocket, 12"b&c, fuel/vent lines, a worked-over oil pump and about 10 hours in labor. It was a learning experience. :D He spent $75 in parts but the saw was free to him so he has a virtually brand new 011AVT, scabbord, matching case, tuning screwdriver/bar cleaning tool, scrench, felling wedge and file guide for $75. I think I got the dirty end of the stick.

Started the day off noodling some 30" long rounds of wood that were brought home yesterday. First time running the 661 since getting it back with new coil and intake boot.

31282802_10213842675159334_7923967988263288832_n.jpg

Still not sure if it's Siberian/Slippery Elm hybrid, or a rather large mulberry. Either way, it'll burn just great in the shop stove, noodles got bagged up and might be going to a buddy. Spent the rest of the day cleaning up a couple yards from dropping trees before we got all that wet snow. Still had the trunk to drop on an American Elm, got most of the branches loaded before I tweaked my back a bit. Couldn't have been better timing on his part, but a retired guy that we're acquainted with was coming down the road in his side by side just after I stood up and I told him if he wanted to grab his skid loader he could take the trunk home in pieces as he burns wood too. He was happy, so was my back, right now it's damn stiff. Brought home the very base of the trunk, as I think I know someone who might take it to make a tabletop, if not maybe I'll keep it for the same purpose.

31398223_10213842673039281_4877431222877290496_n.jpg 31301899_10213842677839401_162728532659666944_n.jpg 31265310_10213842676599370_461203226151092224_n.jpg

Started the day off noodling some 30" long rounds of wood that were brought home yesterday. First time running the 661 since getting it back with new coil and intake boot.

View attachment 648660

Still not sure if it's Siberian/Slippery Elm hybrid, or a rather large mulberry. Either way, it'll burn just great in the shop stove, noodles got bagged up and might be going to a buddy. Spent the rest of the day cleaning up a couple yards from dropping trees before we got all that wet snow. Still had the trunk to drop on an American Elm, got most of the branches loaded before I tweaked my back a bit. Couldn't have been better timing on his part, but a retired guy that we're acquainted with was coming down the road in his side by side just after I stood up and I told him if he wanted to grab his skid loader he could take the trunk home in pieces as he burns wood too. He was happy, so was my back, right now it's damn stiff. Brought home the very base of the trunk, as I think I know someone who might take it to make a tabletop, if not maybe I'll keep it for the same purpose.

View attachment 648661 View attachment 648662 View attachment 648663
My vote goes to mulberry. They can get very big in the right conditions.

Back