Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got 5, 30 inch Red Oak logs that are going on 2 years old. They were taken down in full leaf. The ones that had no bark damage from dropping them, the bark is still holding tight. The 18" rounds I cut for the legs of my fire pit bench , the bark has all fallen of. The couple logs that had big chunks of bark ripped off dropping them, have started shedding bark.

The oaks I'm cutting down are all Bur Oak and I don't know any rhyme or reason as to why some seasoned pieces, the bark falls off if you drop it, and other seasoned pieces, you can't rip it off. I won't know for 3-4 years at this rate either if cutting them this time of the year makes a difference. I remember as a kid, cutting and peeling the bark off slippery elm. Only reason I noticed was because of the weather we've had it's just put me really far behind. I'm not normally splitting a whole bunch of wood in May, much less cutting any down, but I'm stubborn and damnit it's going to get cut and split.

Lol! We went metric in the 70’s. I still have to convert to standard.

My dad is like that. I'm a bit of a hybrid, some weights and measures I prefer metric, some I prefer old skool. It's as close as I get to speaking two languages.

We're on the slide into winter now. We've had a great spell of 20-25°C weather but it's coming to an end with 2 inches of rain coming and snow up higher. We've been burning scrounged spr.. I mean peppermint morning and night for the last week. Won't be long before we're burning it through the day as well.

Yeah, they tried to push that carp on us then too. The Europeans who settled this land left Europe for a reason - they didn't want to be like Europe. We're still that way, and as a result, we Americans are not afraid to tell the rest of the world "fk off, we're doing it OUR way".
Most of the time either is fine but the thing that would be really nice would be standardisation of threads around the world especially pipe threads.

UK isn't quite as fully metric as the rest of Europe, we still talk miles / mph, we still buy pints of beer, although spirit measures are metric as is food and milk... Litres and grams.

As an engineer I'm very glad to have studied and learnt in the metric system and not had to battle conversion factors. I'm sure NASA has made a mistake or two on that. Might be mistaken but wasn't Hubble space telescope's original mirror/lens out of focus due to an inch/cm error?

The Hubble lense was the most accurate thing ever made by man kind at the time. The only problem was it was out by 3 micron over the surface. The error made on the lens was due the fact that the machine which polished the lense also did the measurements (a big no no). It measured by shining a light beam down a long tube and measuring the light bouncing back off. When they discovered something was wrong they went back and checked everything and discovered the tube where the light shone down had black paint on the inside. The tube was segmented and screwed together and had chipped paint at one of the joints. The guy who screwed the tubes together actually remembered chipping the paint 12 years earlier but didn’t think it would matter.
To fix that stuff up took several shuttle missions and literally cost $5 Billion to fix.
So if you think you’ve made an expensive mistake think again.:surprised3:

Not much going on in the scrounging area here other then splitting/stacking. I did meet an arborist certified in Maryland who told me he would teach me how to climb. I was told he has 3 trees at his house that need trimmed and one to take down. He told me to just bring my harness I have to learn to climb without spikes be for we do the take down with spikes. I' excited gona give it my best.

So this is my new saw, picked it up a couple of days ago to try on some dirty wood on a job .its amazing how light it is but the fuel tank seems a bit small for the power it produces,that's a 16" bar on it but came with a 25" bar as standard I'm stihl waiting on a full wrap handleimage.jpg

UK isn't quite as fully metric as the rest of Europe, we still talk miles / mph, we still buy pints of beer, although spirit measures are metric as is food and milk... Litres and grams.

As an engineer I'm very glad to have studied and learnt in the metric system and not had to battle conversion factors. I'm sure NASA has made a mistake or two on that. Might be mistaken but wasn't Hubble space telescope's original mirror/lens out of focus due to an inch/cm error?

One famous example of using the wrong system was the "Gimli glider":

"
Gimli Glider - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider
Air Canada Flight 143 was a scheduled domestic passenger flight between Montreal and Edmonton that ran out of fuel on July 23, 1983 at an altitude of 12,500 metres (41,000 ft), midway through the flight. The crew was able to glide the Boeing 767 aircraft safely to an emergency landing at a former Royal Canadian Air ...

Fueled using one system, instruments were reading in the other.

No saws for a while. Been splitting/stacking logs I had already cut to length, but a couple more good days and I'll be done with those, then I break out saws to deal with the trees that decided to nest in my yard.

Those oak cubes look good :yes:

read your whole post Neil. only thing that caught my eye was PINTS of beer.:laugh:

So this is my new saw, picked it up a couple of days ago to try on some dirty wood on a job .its amazing how light it is but the fuel tank seems a bit small for the power it produces,that's a 16" bar on it but came with a 25" bar as standard I'm stihl waiting on a full wrap handleView attachment 649958

That's a good lookin' saw. Meant to have the same power as my 460 from a few less cc's but 1kg lighter, that's a fair diet it's been on.

Well, I'm considering selling my MS310. It doesn't really have a role now and since it sat on the shelf for 7 years after being used to cut 3-4 cord/year for three years, I figure I might as well flog it. It's getting a service and general tidy up at the moment. I have one person half interested. Haven't worked out what to sell it for yet, it was about $1100AUD when I bought it new.

T
That's a good lookin' saw. Meant to have the same power as my 460 from a few less cc's but 1kg lighter, that's a fair diet it's been on.

I hear the 462 is amazingly light for it's size. How does the power compare with a 460 or 461???

Nice looking saw, enjoy, we are green with envy, none of them here yet.
its amazingly light for its size , I reckon it should be on track as my old 461 , when I put a few more tanks through it,I'll give it a proper go in some knarly ash with the 25" to see how it gets on

Latest posts

Back