Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff, we've been having lots of white owls on our road too. I have a few pictures of one sitting on my giraffe fence posts. We were back in the field with our dogs and he flew onto the posts. I assume he was keeping an eye on out little dog who looks just like a rabbit. He's sitting on top on the left post. Few days later it was sitting on hydro pole in front of our house.
The neighbour says one has been sitting on his wood pile too.

I was up your way yesterday. Rockford auction, only thing I bought was a sausage. Was a pretty small disappointing sale this year. I was bidding online but figured I would drive up and see what else was there. Ended up at Princess Auto to buy some hose fittings for the Chinese load I bought last Thursday at Bryan's sale.
IMG_20180411_203330.jpg IMG_20180412_192431.jpg

The Chinese load. SS sweeper, SS snow blower and an SS blade.
And to keep with the wood theme. Someone bought a piece of live edge maple. 2 1/2" thick x 28" at widest and 8'-5" long. I assume air dried (rotted) sold for 325 before taxes and fees so $406.25 for that chunk of wood. I need to get my mill cutting some wood.
IMG_20180426_125316.jpg IMG_20180425_164705.jpg IMG_20180425_164718.jpg IMG_20180425_164726.jpg

The bonus in the load was this was tucked into the packaging for the snow blower. They make them so you can run on a skid steer or front of a tractor with PTO pump and tank mounted on 3 PTH. I wasn't expecting this at all and figured on buying it at Princess Auto to run the broom. I will be able to run my splitters with it too. I might buy a couple more snow blowers just to get the pumps then sell the blowers as skid steer units only.
PTO pump, oil tank and all the hoses to rear mount it.
IMG_20180426_174142.jpg IMG_20180426_183655.jpg IMG_20180426_201300.jpg

The bonus in the load was this was tucked into the packaging for the snow blower. They make them so you can run on a skid steer or front of a tractor with PTO pump and tank mounted on 3 PTH. I wasn't expecting this at all and figured on buying it at Princess Auto to run the broom. I will be able to run my splitters with it too. I might buy a couple more snow blowers just to get the pumps then sell the blowers as skid steer units only.
PTO pump, oil tank and all the hoses to rear mount it.
View attachment 649260 View attachment 649261 View attachment 649262
I like that. Pto pump is usually a decent volume pump. Should run good.

Went exploring. Tried to get arrested. Found a cemetary in the middle of the woods. Stopped at the gas station 2.5mi away from the house without getting on roads.

Attachments

• 20180429_195542.jpg
    20180429_195542.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 30
  • 20180429_195601.jpg
    20180429_195601.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 30
  • 20180429_200217.jpg
    20180429_200217.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 20180429_201052.jpg
    20180429_201052.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
Been a bit busy.

1. 3 weeks ago woke up with painall the way down right leg - diagnosis: pinched nerve lower back. I got around ok but it took a week before things settled down enought to do much of anything and then with a cane. Got an MRI last Friday. Waiting now to get a consult with a neuro-surgeon.

2. Returned the Echo top handle as it wouldn't start when warm about 50% of the time, bought a Husky to replace it. Tried it out last week, Threw the chain after only a minute. Munged up the driver teeth. Replaced chain ($18). Today used it again, threw chain (my fault as I knew the chain was loose) - munged up that chain also. I'll pick up anohter chain when I make a grocery run the next few days.

3. Last week leg was good enough (with cane) to load up and go to my scrounge spot. Great! Beaver was back and had flooded the entire lower end where I was working. I moved up about 50 yards, put down a big willow and mosstly brushed it out. Called Von and advised him of the beaver (He and son had eradicated the beavers in that bottom several years ago). They broke up the dam Friday and Brad (the son) said he sat up the sidehill and got a couple shots at the beaver. Thinks his second shot was good. Worked on general cleanup Sat and today. Bad news on the beaver front. Dam was repaired when Von checked this morning (Sunday). He broke it up again. Brad set a trap Saturday. More bad news. I found another dam started up stream about 50 yards today. Von said he would clear that one and recheck the original (looked to me like that one was being re-built)

Summary: Gimping around on a weak leg but getting soem progress removing those old willows. Still have 3 more to do in that area. Plan is to just fall the trees and clear/pile brush from any parts that fall in the crop then leave the logs as is. Butch (neigbor) is antsy to build fence to use the bottom for pasture as soon as I get those last three trees on the ground.

Came home today with a small jag of rounds. Tomorrow it is back for more cleanup of the burn piles and light off two more that I somehow missed when I burned in January. Hope to fall one of the remaining trees. That will probably be a two day cleanup of the brush in the crop.

Sure is fun slinging saws again even if I am working slower than normal.

View attachment 649239 My scrounge is safe from mice and rats!
This is my bird and squirrel Feeder.
tP6h1Oo.jpg

And this is my bird and squirrel Eater.
0HJLAKC.jpg

View attachment 649377 View attachment 649378 This is my squirrel eater. He has been living on my woodpile all weekend. We have seen him catch two rats/mice. I have no shortage between the wood and the chicken coop. Doesn’t seem to mind the chickens and ducks as they foraged around while he sat on the splits.

Great pic!

Me, I had to buy a mousetrap the other day. The cat has been gone for 12 days and now we've got meeces running around unchecked. I watched one run out from beside the dishwasher, do three laps of the kitchen and run back again. I think it was mocking me. We might look into obtaining another mobile mouse disposal unit after we come back from Samoa in June (assuming we get there this time).

Great pic!

Me, I had to buy a mousetrap the other day. The cat has been gone for 12 days and now we've got meeces running around unchecked. I watched one run out from beside the dishwasher, do three laps of the kitchen and run back again. I think it was mocking me. We might look into obtaining another mobile mouse disposal unit after we come back from Samoa in June (assuming we get there this time).

I have one of those mobile teasers. Also in the kitchen. Dog likes to lay on a window sill 25' away but has clear view of kitchen. Mouse peeks around cabinet, dog goes berserk. Had a new visitor last week, garter snake crawling out from under the electric elements on the range. How he got up that high is not a problem but WHY?? I pulled him the rest of the way out and released him back to his natural habitat, i.e., threw him out the patio door.

We had a garter snake living in the wood pile in the old cabin a few years ago. Used to lay on top of the wood pile and watch us as we had dinner, etc, I called it our unofficial pet!

Seems like it tried to hibernate in a box under some newspapers, and I think the mice ate him. There was nothing left of him but the skeleton in the Spring.

Nature can be cruel, the hunter becomes the hunted.

Had to despatch a mouse with a stick a few weeks ago, trap fired and caught him by the back leg. I heard it trigger and thought, ' great, got the mouse in the kitchen cupboard'. Opened the cupboard to see him staring at me and then try to run. Fiancee started screaming, I had to get mouse outside and flatten it with a stick.

Crazy ending.

I’ve seen mice killed in traps that are partially eaten by other mice. They start with the head. Go figure.

Our recently departed cat started out eating the entire mouse but in the last few years would only eat the front half and leave the back half on the floor for me to toss outside. The brain is the tastiest bit with all that delicious fat and protein. If you're a cat. Stihl, I was happy for her to be dispatching mice for us on a regular basis.

Back