Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, that's the stuff!

All I did today was split some of the oak that I trimmed at the neighbors. Close to a cord though really, took them over about 10 cu. ft of some american elm, ash, and will take about that much mulberry over to him as well. He likes 14" length for his stove so I'll give him all the stuff I cut too short.

Unfortunately, today took an ugly turn, we lost a family member. Was planning on putting him down soon, but I've been busy and wanted to give him a chance to enjoy one last spring. Twisted set of events, but the short is he got run over. He had pretty troublesome back legs and couldn't exactly get up in a timely manner. The guy that got him probably didn't see him either, but it happens. He was over 14 years old.

View attachment 648928 View attachment 648929 View attachment 648930 View attachment 648931
Sorry for your loss. The pic was for another post. Since it' here we thought Diesels hips were going bad last year. He's Pit/Canecorso cross with game drive for days. Took off across the field last summer after a groundhog and it looked like his back legs just stopped working. Vets couldn' find anything wrong he walked with a severe limp for weeks. We still don't know what happened.

Attachments

• 20180411_181948.jpg
    20180411_181948.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
Howdy y'all. First time cutting cottonwood and just as well the fibres hang on like a bad flue because almost all were leaning over a shed, fences or state highway 12 and needed some persuasion. Still have a few more to do once I get Nemo (tractor) and Rubber Ducky (winch) on site but at least friends finally have most of their view back. This pic, from their deck, is quintessential coastal Northern NZ.

Worst part wasn't the pucker factor of felling trees growing 30 degrees out the side of a steep hill, overhanging a state highway, but the sounds of the lucky buggers in the boats catching fish just a few hundred meters out, on most days I was there.

View attachment 648869

Spectacular view, is that your place? Please ID the body of water?

It is gut wrenching to have to make the call on putting down a good pet, especially a loyal dog. I have had to do it too many times. I know people who will never have another after going through it, and my wife wanted to go down that road.

I pointer out to her that w/o that one bad day, we would not have had all the good ones, the hikes, walks and other adventures. I told her "in balance" you have to go on. Like my Dad used to say, "life is for the living."

We currently have 2 dogs, and it would be more, but I put the lid on it. I told her I only have 2 hands, we can only have 2 dogs!

Yup, that's the stuff!

All I did today was split some of the oak that I trimmed at the neighbors. Close to a cord though really, took them over about 10 cu. ft of some american elm, ash, and will take about that much mulberry over to him as well. He likes 14" length for his stove so I'll give him all the stuff I cut too short.

Unfortunately, today took an ugly turn, we lost a family member. Was planning on putting him down soon, but I've been busy and wanted to give him a chance to enjoy one last spring. Twisted set of events, but the short is he got run over. He had pretty troublesome back legs and couldn't exactly get up in a timely manner. The guy that got him probably didn't see him either, but it happens. He was over 14 years old.

View attachment 648928 View attachment 648929 View attachment 648930 View attachment 648931
Very sorry to hear.

Well my mother is back in the hospital for the third successive surgery in two weeks to clean out infection after her initial hip surgery. If this one doesn't clear things up, they are going to need to completely replace the first replacement hip. I do not know why she will not heal but since my aunt is her POA I am letting them deal with those decisions. As I have mentioned before we do not have the best relationship but I feel terrible that she is in pain and with no real answer as to why.

Been making slow progress on my cleaning project. I have the picker coming back on Monday to buy a few things he hadn't figured a price on during his first visit. My work bench is now completely cleaned off and I installed a vice on the benchtop as well as installed a new motor on my bench grinder which really works well.

Got the mm 225 out today. Not to loud even with the muff gutted. Not wood related but it's that time of year when the grass goes nuts.

Nice job on the mm :).
Heading out to mow the inlaws now, 2.75hrs on the 60" exmark, and that's after at least an HR to clean up all the pine cones, dang pine trees lol.

Sorry about your buddy Cody.
I ran over a dog one time, right in front of the owners, the good thing(if any) was that the dog just ran straight out and went under my van, I could not have done anything as it came out between a couple houses. I stopped and the owner was apologizing as was I, the dog walked away, probably wondering what we were talking about, it was all quite odd.

This was basically my father in law, he has a past with running dogs over, none of which were really his fault but he felt horrible last night. I called him after a bit and I could tell he was rather upset. I'm sure he just couldn't see Toby over the hood of his truck, and with Toby being slow to get up he probably couldn't get out of the way. These are things that I knew though, so we usually just drove around him but you're not doing the dog a favor in that sense as he expected that at this point. I've had to stop with the tractor even just to allow him to get up, so I can't help but think that it's really my own fault. It is what it is at this point though, and he's pain free. That's what matters to me.

I 'liked' your post to acknowledge it but I'm terribly sorry to read about your furry mate. You can get another dog but the one you lost is not replaceable. I'm sorry it happened in such a bad way as well.

A few blokes I have spoken to in the last week or so after we put my little mate down have told me that they would never get another dog or cat again because they were so traumatised after losing one in the past. I suspect that men suffer more than women or kids with the loss of a pet. I reckon that most dogs (and some cats) possess characteristics that appeal more to the male psyche - and their behaviour can be much like that of men (beta males excluded) in that you can have a bust up with them but quickly get over it as the essential trust remains, which it always does with your little pal. Very sad news, Cody.

I like dogs more than people, most days. That's the third one I've lost in the past 8 years or so, with the first two being the hardest as they were young, with one of them literally being my best friend. The first one was hard though, coming home and not knowing she was there killed me, I bet I cried for two weeks on that one. We were down to just Toby at that point and I kept saying no more dogs as well, at least until he passes. We still have two, as we got one 2 years ago, and just picked up a Catahoula here a couple months ago. Never fun to see someone lose a dog, but it brings so much joy to see dogs in people's lives. I've always said it, dogs truly are man's best friend.

Sorry for your loss. The pic was for another post. Since it' here we thought Diesels hips were going bad last year. He's Pit/Canecorso cross with game drive for days. Took off across the field last summer after a groundhog and it looked like his back legs just stopped working. Vets couldn' find anything wrong he walked with a severe limp for weeks. We still don't know what happened.

Toby liked to wander off, and if I didn't find him he usually made it back home. Last year he got tangled up in a root ball along the river and some people canoeing found him. It definitely slowed him down but that dog still just loved to wander around. I remember when he was young, I took him for a walk at a park to the north of us, only to end up looking for him for over 3 hours. Got back to the spot I last seen him and there he was, he loved being outside, his nose just got him in to trouble.

@Cody Sorry to hear. Couple things resort me to weakness and that's anything hurtful to do with the kids/family or losing a pet. They always say well you gave them a great 14 years but it doesn't dull the feeling of loss.

It is gut wrenching to have to make the call on putting down a good pet, especially a loyal dog. I have had to do it too many times. I know people who will never have another after going through it, and my wife wanted to go down that road.

I pointer out to her that w/o that one bad day, we would not have had all the good ones, the hikes, walks and other adventures. I told her "in balance" you have to go on. Like my Dad used to say, "life is for the living."

We currently have 2 dogs, and it would be more, but I put the lid on it. I told her I only have 2 hands, we can only have 2 dogs!

I'm going to miss having that dog outside. I'd imagine it's the same when all of us are splitting wood, you look up every now and then to see what's happening around you. A lot of times I'd see him laying/walking around, and once in awhile he'd sneak up behind you and push his nose into your leg. He's done more laying around than anything though this spring and last fall. I didn't want to wait for the vet as he was out on a call and it would have been nearly 2 hours for him to come, so had to resort to the old fashioned, "take him behind the shed" method. Damn hard thing to do. Not sure if it hasn't fully hit me yet, or just that I'm truly happy to know that he's at peace. I'll have to keep your 2 dogs, 2 hands comment in mind next time I hear someone wanting another one.

Thats the issue I have with the 395. It puts out noodles faster than I can kick them out of the way. If I watch the cut close for a second I look down to see that I'm buried to my knees.

Normally when I'm noodling rounds, they're only 18" or so long. I wasn't too sure how it was going to go with the 661 and a 36" bar, on 30" long pieces. It clogged a few times but usually clears up. The flywheel cover however doesn't clear itself up, you have to pick them out, and that wasn't even noodling them flat on the ground.

I
Well my mother is back in the hospital for the third successive surgery in two weeks to clean out infection after her initial hip surgery. If this one doesn't clear things up, they are going to need to completely replace the first replacement hip. I do not know why she will not heal but since my aunt is her POA I am letting them deal with those decisions. As I have mentioned before we do not have the best relationship but I feel terrible that she is in pain and with no real answer as to why.

Been making slow progress on my cleaning project. I have the picker coming back on Monday to buy a few things he hadn't figured a price on during his first visit. My work bench is now completely cleaned off and I installed a vice on the benchtop as well as installed a new motor on my bench grinder which really works well.
Think it was Churchill that said when you are going through hell, keep going.

Latest posts

Back