Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marine5068, it's a Woodland Mills HM130, cuts about to a 30" x 16' long log. I bought it last year but have only used it a few times. Just too hard to find time. The actual cutting is easy, getting ready to cut takes a lot of time. I peel the cedar in the bush to keep the mess away. I've only played on a couple of ash trees so far. Live edge is a big think right now so when I get time I plan to cut a bunch up. Been saving some of the bigger trees and the weird stuff for the mill. One of work customers just had two shelves installed in the house. Shelves are about 10" wide x 9' long, oil "stained" and Catalpa wood... Around $2300 installed. I just about died when he told me.
Its a nice Mill, that's for sure. I thought it looked pretty new.
If I lived near by I'd be over at your place milling as much as I could...lol.
He really paid someone that much for two slabs into shelves ?
There are lots of guys near me selling live edge slabs. Some pieces are not so great looking in my opinion.
I think they sell most 6-8 footers and about 24" wide x 2" thick hardwood slabs for around $150-$250 a slab from what I've seen.
I've seen the kits in Lowe's for making your own too. They had Eastern White Pine 2" slabs cut into 4' and 6' lengths for about $150 for the 6's. They also had the steel table legs there with them.
As a welder and metal worker, I was thinking of making some cool tables and shelves to put up for sale.
But I only have the 28" CSM right now, but I can dream of something like yours...lol.

Just got done grilling burgers last night and it went from hot and sunny to cool and windy. A major storm came through and we got .6 of rain but the north end of the storm that stretched 250 Miles was literally 1/4 mile south of us. Lots of electrical outages and trees down elsewhere. My in laws had a 20 something inch spruce uproot in their front yard and the top us resting on their roof. They are hoping to get an insurance claim so didn’t want me to clean it up for them. I’m not sure the damages but I offered and they declined knowing I’m not available after today. Hot, humid, and buggy. Driving to Minneapolis for work tomorrow will be a treat.

Took off work to fish last Thursday and the local tree company delivered a care package. Delivered right to the house, can't beat that.

I managed 15 and my buddy managed 18 fishing the smoke hole section of the south branch of the Potomac in wv.

Great day!

Just got done grilling burgers last night and it went from hot and sunny to cool and windy. A major storm came through and we got .6 of rain but the north end of the storm that stretched 250 Miles was literally 1/4 mile south of us. Lots of electrical outages and trees down elsewhere. My in laws had a 20 something inch spruce uproot in their front yard and the top us resting on their roof. They are hoping to get an insurance claim so didn’t want me to clean it up for them. I’m not sure the damages but I offered and they declined knowing I’m not available after today. Hot, humid, and buggy. Driving to Minneapolis for work tomorrow will be a treat.
Flooding every where around me. Man I worked with for years lost his wife in a mudslide in Tryon NC. Had 2 tv reporters killed when a tree fell on their vehicle, in same area. Downtown Asheville under water. More rain called for the next couple days. I did catch a break in the rain and got my grass mowed today. I have a garden somewhere hidden in the weeds. I know its somewhere inside the new fence, just not sure what kind of varmits are also hidden in the jungle. I thought about going fishing, but the boat ramp is hidden under water. Could just pull into the parking lot and unhook I guess, or cast from the sidewalk. fishing ought to be good, they have opened the flood gates at Chatuge dam up stream. I will bet there are a lot of big fish getting dumped into Hiawasse lake from Chatuge. Been looking for it to flood the river bottoms below my house, so far it hasnt gotten that high. If it gets high enough to flood me, everybody else has already had a bad day.

Flooding every where around me. Man I worked with for years lost his wife in a mudslide in Tryon NC. Had 2 tv reporters killed when a tree fell on their vehicle, in same area. Downtown Asheville under water. More rain called for the next couple days. I did catch a break in the rain and got my grass mowed today. I have a garden somewhere hidden in the weeds. I know its somewhere inside the new fence, just not sure what kind of varmits are also hidden in the jungle. I thought about going fishing, but the boat ramp is hidden under water. Could just pull into the parking lot and unhook I guess, or cast from the sidewalk. fishing ought to be good, they have opened the flood gates at Chatuge dam up stream. I will bet there are a lot of big fish getting dumped into Hiawasse lake from Chatuge. Been looking for it to flood the river bottoms below my house, so far it hasnt gotten that high. If it gets high enough to flood me, everybody else has already had a bad day.

Can't like that , stay safe and dry !

I kind of feel like an ass now complaining about the weather here.

Since I just got "paid" for fixing a MS 460 by being given two parts saws (a 460 and an 046) I am now up to 7 sets of 046/460 cases, 4 tank handles (3 are 046), and 3 cylinders (one has a few broken fins, but I think I'll use it anyway). I may not remove one of the jugs, as the piston seems OK and it has good compression.

The other two are both Mahle, one a D jug, and one a Hemi. I plan to do some measurements for comparison, but the most obvious difference from just eyeballing both of them is the shape of the intake port. The Hemi jug has some broken fins and transfer, the D jug is near pristine. The saw it was attached to was not, so I'm please the cylinder was OK. Muff bolts were "Allen" style instead of T-27, so I feared the jug was not original, but it was. The muffler did not have a cover, but the factory hole on the back half is huge!

I'm really looking forward to putting this D jug on a saw and getting it running. Plan to thin or delete the gasket, and give it a timing advance. Yea, I know, like I need anther saw … but it's a D jug!!! SN started with 136.

The rain looks like it's going on forever. If you haven't seen the news clips of Ellicot City MD, do a search. I live about 20 miles from there, it's an old historic town, beautiful little town. A couple years ago they had major flooding, destroyed several historic houses. Last week they had 6 inches of rain and had major flooding again, one rescue worker missing. The town has been there since the 1770's. The local zoning folks let them put in golf courses and pave over fields and woods, and now can't figure out why everything is washing away.

The rain looks like it's going on forever. If you haven't seen the news clips of Ellicot City MD, do a search. I live about 20 miles from there, it's an old historic town, beautiful little town. A couple years ago they had major flooding, destroyed several historic houses. Last week they had 6 inches of rain and had major flooding again, one rescue worker missing. The town has been there since the 1770's. The local zoning folks let them put in golf courses and pave over fields and woods, and now can't figure out why everything is washing away.

I have been watching this on the news. Mention was made of the developement taking place around the town. I have seen similar around here. the developers know they have to do something with water and have no problem turning it onto someone else. A few years ago A developer put in a road and built a bunch of houses on top of the mountain behind my wifes farm. I didnt think much about it until I was walking in the woods at the back of the property. There was huge stumps, mud, brush and all kinds of trash that had washed into the trail. I followed the wash and saw where the developer had built a road right up the center of a ridge and had turned all the water down onto my wifes farm. Needless to say that went over like a barrel of fishhooks. It took a few calls to the State Soil and Water before I could get the developer to clean up his mess. He had to come in with trackhoes and carry all those stumps and trash off the property. He also had togo back and redo his ditches to divert the water back onto his own property. Same developer thought it would be alright to cut a bunch of trees on our property to open up "Views", for potential buyers. That backfired on him also. NC allows $600 for every tree cut, even if no bigger than the size of your finger. He learned an expensive lesson on that one.

I could tell several tales of things I have seen developers do/still do, if they think they can get away with it. Their goal is to put money in their pocket and to heck with everyone down stream.

I have been watching this on the news. Mention was made of the developement taking place around the town. I have seen similar around here. the developers know they have to do something with water and have no problem turning it onto someone else. A few years ago A developer put in a road and built a bunch of houses on top of the mountain behind my wifes farm. I didnt think much about it until I was walking in the woods at the back of the property. There was huge stumps, mud, brush and all kinds of trash that had washed into the trail. I followed the wash and saw where the developer had built a road right up the center of a ridge and had turned all the water down onto my wifes farm. Needless to say that went over like a barrel of fishhooks. It took a few calls to the State Soil and Water before I could get the developer to clean up his mess. He had to come in with trackhoes and carry all those stumps and trash off the property. He also had togo back and redo his ditches to divert the water back onto his own property. Same developer thought it would be alright to cut a bunch of trees on our property to open up "Views", for potential buyers. That backfired on him also. NC allows $600 for every tree cut, even if no bigger than the size of your finger. He learned an expensive lesson on that one.

I could tell several tales of things I have seen developers do/still do, if they think they can get away with it. Their goal is to put money in their pocket and to heck with everyone down stream.
Yeah, they don't care. My buddy had a big golf course put in behind his mom's place. They had a nice stream running through her property. After a couple years there were no fish or plants in the stream. Then one Easter Sunday, John called, his mom had a big White Oak on the edge of the stream blow over on her garden. It was all washed out on the stream side. We cut everything off the garden, piled the brush, bucked the stump back off the garden. A couple days later John called laughing, the stump had sat back up like a totem pole. A couple days after that, he called PO'ed. A University of MD student doing tests on fish and animal life in the stream turned us in to DNR for "cutting" trees on wet lands. Forester came out and I met him. Showed him the dents and divots from where the tree fell, and told him before we could finish cleaning up the stump sat back up. He laughed. I asked why they were so worried about one tree in a wet land, but didn't care less about all of the chemicals and trash running down from the golf course. He said that the student was still young enough to care, the golf course could care less. The golf course couldn't compete with the big courses and went out of business about 10 years ago. The stream is almost as nice as I remember it as kids.

Wet lands are a pretty big thing around here too. I can agree up to a point, but some of the things that are being done in the name of wetlands just blows my mind. they built a new road next to me, took part of my property to build it. There is a 900ft long box covert where there was supposed to be a bridge. I guess it was cheaper to buy property to mitagate the wetlands destroyed than it was to just build the bridge. They bought a small farm not far from me and dug and trenched the fields turning them into a swamp. Nothing there now but skeeters and brairs. Not sure I agree with the mitigation provided for the land they destroyed to build the road.

Power company built a new substation in the middle of a field next to the river. When they finished they turned the area around it into a swamp. They put their drain pipes under the driveway up so high the water cant drain out. It is now a wetland.

Soil and Water came out with a program where they would drill wells and put in holding tanks for watering livestock. All the landowner had to do was sign up and allow them to fence their field off the creeks. Lots of farmers signed up and thought they where getting a good deal, until one of the farmers wanted to put a driveway across his creek so he could get to his pastures on the other side of the creek. He didnt realize he had signed his rights away to any land that laid between the creek fences that Soil and Water had put up.

Lots of shady dealing going on when it comes to wetlands and water rights.

My friends on Black Mountain are high and dry, but several roads below them are washed out, so they are stuck high and dry.

Guys have gone to jail here and/or been fined heavily for destroying wetlands to pull out "highly valuable" (no, really, really, highly valuable, seriously) ancient swamp Kauri logs. We even had an attempted assassination of a key witness on his way to court to testify against such an alleged pirate. Rather than jail time, I'd rather just cut their arms and legs off, and confiscate all their gear and make them remortgage their homes to pay the medical bills.

Guys have gone to jail here and/or been fined heavily for destroying wetlands to pull out "highly valuable" (no, really, really, highly valuable, seriously) ancient swamp Kauri logs. We even had an attempted assassination of a key witness on his way to court to testify against such an alleged pirate. Rather than jail time, I'd rather just cut their arms and legs off, and confiscate all their gear and make them remortgage their homes to pay the medical bills.

Surely you'd pardon them if they could then ride a unicycle without a seat backwards through the mountain bike park while playing a flute? Gotta give them at least half a chance.

My friends on Black Mountain are high and dry, but several roads below them are washed out, so they are stuck high and dry.
It has just been a few short years ago that similar flooding occured in Black mnt. On the railroad going down Old Fort Mnt is where one of my co-workers got killed in the mudslide that shut the railroad down for several days. I was about a hour away from being the guy that would have been doing what he was doing when he got killed. I was told that they have another slide right now in the exact same place. There is also a big slide that has interstate 40 shut down right at the Old Fort exit. They had to wake up the entire town to evacuate for flash flooding just the other night. I have also seen pics of Asheville at Biltmore Village where the roads where closed and water in the shops.

I am waiting on my Brother to send me a pic of what looks like a water spout right outside my back door. I'll post it when I get it. I dont know how I missed seeing it, I was in my shop when the storm came and had walked back into the house. Had to of happend right after I got inside.

34021519_2133889176638535_4715491791674015744_n.jpg
My house is just to the left in this picture, about 200 yards from the road

Latest posts

Back