Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wet lands are a pretty big thing around here too. I can agree up to a point, but some of the things that are being done in the name of wetlands just blows my mind. they built a new road next to me, took part of my property to build it. There is a 900ft long box covert where there was supposed to be a bridge. I guess it was cheaper to buy property to mitagate the wetlands destroyed than it was to just build the bridge. They bought a small farm not far from me and dug and trenched the fields turning them into a swamp. Nothing there now but skeeters and brairs. Not sure I agree with the mitigation provided for the land they destroyed to build the road.

Power company built a new substation in the middle of a field next to the river. When they finished they turned the area around it into a swamp. They put their drain pipes under the driveway up so high the water cant drain out. It is now a wetland.

Soil and Water came out with a program where they would drill wells and put in holding tanks for watering livestock. All the landowner had to do was sign up and allow them to fence their field off the creeks. Lots of farmers signed up and thought they where getting a good deal, until one of the farmers wanted to put a driveway across his creek so he could get to his pastures on the other side of the creek. He didnt realize he had signed his rights away to any land that laid between the creek fences that Soil and Water had put up.

Lots of shady dealing going on when it comes to wetlands and water rights.
I agree there are shady and plain stoopid people and they tend to gravitate to alphabet agencies and other seemingly unaccountable organisations. Or they just go rouge in a private capacity like some of the contractors here chasing swamp Kauri.

34021519_2133889176638535_4715491791674015744_n.jpg
My house is just to the left in this picture, about 200 yards from the road
Is it still there?

Oh yeah, Nothing but a little wind and hard rain. I looked it up, the formation is called a scud. Basicly it is just a cloud formation moving under the main storm. No rotation, so no real wind. Still wish I had seen it first hand instead of a picture. Of course it was pouring rain and I was making a mad dash for the house about the time it was passing by.

Just checked, the Scud pic was taken at 3:15pm, I posted a pic of the rain in my revamping splitter thread at 3:14pm. I just missed getting the scud in my own picture as the view is in the same direction, just a different angle

Put a temperature magnetic gauge on the woodstove and another one on the stove pipe. You can use the damper on the stove to regulate the heat in the stove and the damper on the stove pipe to regulate how much heat goes up the chimney to prevent making creosote. Usually 250/300 degrees of heat going up the pipe. And run the stove at 350/375/400 degrees. You can save on the wood consumption and still get good heat. Warmer nights run the stove at 350.

I laugh when I think about how many guys wanted to cut wood with me. When they found out about the hard work they were gone.
I do that.
I just have the one burn indicator on the 8" black stove pipe coming from my woodstove. It's mounted the suggested 18" above the stove top and tells me what temp my pipe is at.
I have the pipe damper right above it and can open or close it to adjust but hardly ever need to.
The stove air intake gets opened to start the burn the when burn indicator is centered, it gets turned down. I run it at about 350*-500* C
Saves me a ton of wood that way with my newer Drolet HT2000 EPA stove. It can handle splits up to 22" long too. It's a XL stove and has a large blower fan that works really good.

View attachment 654349 New scrounging tool showed up today. Need the stupid double D tool or make my own. Needs adjusted a little. Thank you @chipper1
Nice saw James :rock:.
I was going to send a PM since I hadn't heard from you in there or the GMT and then saw your post in here :).
Hope your enjoying it.
Don't forget that's a limited coil in it.
Also I've had two of the 7910's that were shipped to me act funny for a bit after being shipped to me. They were both running very fat, something to do with the tank vent is the best I've been able to figure out, only lasted a short time like less than a half a tank.
Your welcome.
New arrival to the stable. Made it safe and sound. Thanks @chipper1 !View attachment 654515
Nice saw panolo :rock2:.
Wonder if yours was the one going out the same time as my 7910.
Yes sir, but there was and are others too.
I'm guessing as he said he was shipping two.
Yep :yes:.

Scrounging? What is that? Certainly not something to be done in 97 degree weather! NW Iowa and it's still May, late May, but &(^*%*%$#**$#($$%*#*#%(.

Sorry guys, I don't like heat unless it's coming out of my stove and I can open a window to cool off!!!

I'm with you Cody :baba:.
I'm not into this hot weather, 50-60 works fine for me, and if it's gonna rain it might as well be 25 and snowing so I can at least do something outside.

Looks nice.
I have a 15' Princecraft with small leaks I need to seal up some seams.
Anyone ever do this? Seal aluminum boat seams? What the best way?
Maybe that liquid metal stuff?
Try a little flex shot, but wait there's more:laughing:.
This has to be one of their greatest commercials, I like the cannon ball going through the boat :surprised3:.

@chipper1 to the scrounge department, just wanted to let you know I took a turn to the dark side and I'm impressed View attachment 655343
That's awesome, congrats!
That's one saw I would really like to have, be a great lightweight saw with a plenty of power for a 20" in hardwood without jumping up to a 70cc saw.
Those flippy caps sure are nice aren't they.

That's awesome, congrats!
That's one saw I would really like to have, be a great lightweight saw with a plenty of power for a 20" in hardwood without jumping up to a 70cc saw.
Those flippy caps sure are nice aren't they.
its mine for the day only,and thankfully it's a brilliant saw when it runs,it's probably my fault that it floods very easy as I'm so used to having stihls in my hands

Its hard to flood an AT Husky if you know how to run them correctly. When the saw is already warm/primed and you restart, turn the choke on to set the high idle then turn the choke back off but leave the high idle on(by not pulling the trigger) Start saw. Pop trigger to release the high idle off.

You guys, I just can't imagine going below 70cc's. I turned 62 back in March and decided my 100CC Super 1050 was starting to get a little heavy, after bucking up a couple of 30" Oak logs, so I dropped down to my 99CC Mac 550. A little lighter and much lower on the ear splitting level. To be honest, my litmus test for buying saws, for about 10 years now, has been 70CC's or bigger, and 24" bar or bigger. I've kind of been wanting a Homelite Super EZ, since that's what we used as climbing saws back in the 70's. I started buying little Homelites a couple months ago, picked up a Super 2 in case with paper work for $15. a Super EZ for $2, and a 150 Automatic for $5, and with a basic clean up, they all ran great. Been having a blast playing with them.I'll be taking my newest 1050 and the 150 Automatic to Leadfarmers GTG this weekend. I hope someone can get a couple video's. I don't even count the Orange saws under my 68 Cuda, except the 08S. Who can argue with a 50CC saw pulling 404 chain.

You guys, I just can't imagine going below 70cc's. I turned 62 back in March and decided my 100CC Super 1050 was starting to get a little heavy, after bucking up a couple of 30" Oak logs, so I dropped down to my 99CC Mac 550. A little lighter and much lower on the ear splitting level. To be honest, my litmus test for buying saws, for about 10 years now, has been 70CC's or bigger, and 24" bar or bigger. I've kind of been wanting a Homelite Super EZ, since that's what we used as climbing saws back in the 70's. I started buying little Homelites a couple months ago, picked up a Super 2 in case with paper work for $15. a Super EZ for $2, and a 150 Automatic for $5, and with a basic clean up, they all ran great. Been having a blast playing with them.I'll be taking my newest 1050 and the 150 Automatic to Leadfarmers GTG this weekend. I hope someone can get a couple video's. I don't even count the Orange saws under my 68 Cuda, except the 08S. Who can argue with a 50CC saw pulling 404 chain.
You old guys, I can't imagine running a 50cc saw that weighs as much as a comparable 90cc saw which will also pull a 20"404 just fine :laugh:.
I do think they are the heaviest "top handle" saw made :lol:.
I do like the old saws though, lots of cool factor, but I've had to refuse a few that folks wanted to drop off to give me, one guy was upset I said no. Once I get a barn built I may get a few to mess around with, but an old saw to me is a 2.. series or an 0.. series saw.
I will say many of those old beasts are indestructible and from what I've read the 08s is one of those, :rock: for a product that lasts.

err...wasn't it you that bought a ms170 last year? or am i confused? hate to tell you....its only 31.8cc

personally i love my ickle 180, it runs on fumes!

I'm with you there. Why, I sold my only sub-70cc saw last weekend.

err...wasn't it you that bought a ms170 last year? or am i confused? hate to tell you....its only 31.8cc

personally i love my ickle 180, it runs on fumes!
Yep that was me. Check the second to last sentence. I don't count the Orange ones under the 68 Cuda. That being said, the 660 is under the Cuda too. I need to get some more shelves up so I can get them off the concrete. But my 170 up and quit on me, so I've been using the 43CC 150 automatic, it's way more powerful and twice as loud. Loud always trumps new. I think I gave Steve 7 saws back around January or February. Since then I've bought 4 over 80CC's, one 77CC's and 3-4 ickle ones under 45CC's. I have been having fun playing with the little ones.

If it ever stops raining I get to rum a saw ..... I have a few on our property that need to go
20180228_124513_resized.jpg
Was going to get to it when the ground froze lol
It's still standing .

We did get a new toy
When I hold a GTG I will make Hats
hats.jpg
Now I can say I have made a Stihl steve 1.jpg steve 2.jpg

Steve I will trade you for some asparagus lol

Back