Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used my 462 today in anger for the first time and after a while I noticed a lot of vibrations in the handles in fact it was so bad I stihl felt it in my hands a hour later,so back it's going to the dealers to see what the problem is, it's a bit of a disappointment :angry:

Was down in Ohio to help with some saw training. One of the local facilitators was showing me the chain grinders in his basement. I made a comment and he turned to me and said, 'Hey, are you Philbert?'

Known him for over two years, but did not know that he was an A.S. member ( @carlsdad ) !

Got in his truck and made a surprise inspection of @fordf150 shop. Worth the trip! Pics to follow.

Philbert

I have a MS291 and it is even a bit heavy for some of the small cuts I do. And some days I do lots of those small cuts.
Guess I'll need a smaller saw too.
Now how to convince the wife that I really need another saw....hmmmm

Try complaining of an aching back from hefting a heavy saw...of course that could backfire when you want a bigger saw.

“Ickle” saws do have their place. I’d like a smaller good saw. My buddy just picked up a 009 for $10! The rat bassturd! $10 and it runs! I haven’t come across one yet. Not sure I’d lump a 261 in the ickle class but I want one of those too. They feel like a toy after swinging the 460 for a couple hours. For my light saws, I have been using craftsman/poulan 33-42 cc saws. I pick them up for 30-40 bucks and do a muff mod and put Stihl chain on them. Makes for great limbing saw plus it’s nice to own a rat saw that you don’t mind tossing in the back of a truck, boat, tractor etc.

For a limbing saw, nothing beats a good top handle. My stable runs from tophandle 14" to 441/32". That last one is a great saw for felling and bucking big stuff but it sure wears me out in a hurry.

I got to see my first TW5 yesterday. I went to the saw shop yesterday to get a couple of AV mounts for my 272 and my buddy almost grabbed me by the hand and dragged me to the back of the shop. He was all giddy to say the least. He had just got it and hasnt even got to try it out. I told him I was going to bring my home made splitter up to his place and make him cry. I thought he was going to hit me when I said that. I dont know if my splitter will keep up with the TW, but I do plan on doing a comparison in the near future. Now I have to stop dragging my feet and get the new wedges welded on my splitter. Might go ahead and order me one of those auto cycle valves also.

I also offered to make the Sandhillcrane Modification to his wedge. Since my buddy splits a lot of big wood, I think he will like the blade extention.

I'll convince the forum that ickle saws have their place yet. Heck Philbert may even convince us to go electric. We know from Dan that they run well in spruce
There are developments now that will see batteries (term used loosely) having the energy density of gasoline (the holy grail of energy storage). It's a big IF, but IF the impending great financial reset doesn't wipe out the funding first, I'm confident we'll see electric saws to rival the 90+cc category gas saws.

Well , the rains slacked off around noon so ,,,

r1jTWzw.jpg

c33L9k5.jpg

After 1 tank

m9nLZqN.jpg

2'nd tank

r3M4pzr.jpg

3'rd tank

egTuTHb.jpg

4'th tank

8CrNISB.jpg

And what you don't see from the road

BbgeslV.jpg

SympeyP.jpg

QCONyqS.jpg

I have a friend that lives less than 5 minutes from here and burns wood , he normally buys his firewood from a neighbor , I talked to him tonight , I'll drag my trailer up tomorrow , he's coming over and we'll cut a load of firewood for him , why waste the wood :)

Was down in Ohio to help with some saw training. One of the local facilitators was showing me the chain grinders in his basement. I made a comment and he turned to me and said, 'Hey, are you Philbert?'

Known him for over two years, but did not know that he was an A.S. member ( @carlsdad ) !

Got in his truck and made a surprise inspection of @fordf150 shop. Worth the trip! Pics to follow.

Philbert
What was the give away Philbert, did detect the passion for sharpening and put 2 & 2 together LOL.
BTW I bought the jolly star and I happy with it. It’s not a high precision machine like I’m use to and I’m thinking of making a new stop ( the finger that the chain stops on) for it. Not 100% sure if it’s really an issue but I’ll post my findings if I do mod it. I have high precision measuring equipment at work and could do a before and after process capability analysis on angles and length to actually put numbers to it.....May be overkill.

There are developments now that will see batteries (term used loosely) having the energy density of gasoline (the holey grail of energy storage). It's a big IF, but IF the impending great financial reset doesn't wipe out the funding first, I'm confident we'll see electric saws to rival the 90+cc category gas saws.
Interesting thought there kiwibro, I was just reading an article during the week on the pace of technology development. The idea was the rapid pace has been aided by record low interest rates, could company’s like Uber have raised $29 billion in capital to fund basically an app if investors could have gotten 10% in the bank?

Got roped into helping the father in law do a bunch of his chores today. While at the dump I came across this little homelite super 2. In the truck it went. Got it home and blew the dirt off, put the hanging chain back on and pulled it over with fresh fuel. It started and ran so I sharpened the chain and to the woodpile I went. It ran kind of funny, intermittently losing power and while turning it, I noticed the spark plug boot bouncing.

If it ever stops raining I get to rum a saw ..... I have a few on our property that need to go
View attachment 655421
Was going to get to it when the ground froze lol
It's still standing .

We did get a new toy
When I hold a GTG I will make Hats
View attachment 655423
Now I can say I have made a Stihl View attachment 655425 View attachment 655426

Steve I will trade you for some asparagus lol
We have asparagus Dave. :) how many LBS. do you want? the hats are saweeet.

I do quite a bit of cutting with the 40 cc saws, and I like them a lot for limbing out small stuff when I'm in no hurry. They all have picco/lp chain which isn't grabby and they sip fuel, which makes for less fill ups and a better average cut time ;). Then the 50cc saws for a bit larger stuff, and the 60cc saws and bring two bars if I only want to bring one saw, anything above that is for cutting quick with a 20 or running a 24" bar or larger and isn't even needed much, but they are fun so they get broke out quite a bit :sweet:.
The reality is I don't need a saw over 60cc's 90% of the time, and could avoid much of that if I choose to, but I have to have some "reason" to run all those 60cc plus saws lol. This is a scroungers thread, so a one saw plan should be more the reality here, but the reality is we've found commonality in this community and we all enjoy saws:chainsaw:.
Got to put some time on the 7910 today. It came around like you said it would. Borrowed the 32" bar off @bear1998 395 and burried it in a log it pulled it no problem.

Interesting thought there kiwibro, I was just reading an article during the week on the pace of technology development. The idea was the rapid pace has been aided by record low interest rates, could company’s like Uber have raised $29 billion in capital to fund basically an app if investors could have gotten 10% in the bank?
The race is certainly on to get this stuff to market before the market implodes. Even if we just focus on the current or last generations, just think of the $, Earth and human resources that have been sacrificed to pay interest all those years.

Funny how, after 3000 years, mankind still finds a way to slap lipstick on ancient concepts as if they are something new. Hindu's were, I believe, the first to give it a label - usury. I fear there are people in the current generation who have never experienced 20+% interest rates and will, I'm quite sure, feel that sort of pain before their mortgages are paid off. Mankind is beyond capable of learning from history and thus doomed to repeat it.

Imagine where we'd be today and where we could be tomorrow, if throughout history we spent the $ and human resources solving problems rather than repaying those seeking usurious advantages over our fellow man? If we were not slaves to a concentrated power but free to spend our lives adding to the greater good, learning from and advancing the greater knowledge of society. Instead, we are largely shackled to a regime that pretends to provide us choices and self-determination but most often merely renders us captured and not often fulfilling our true potential, at great cost to mankind in general. Such a feckless system like this is doomed to failure. In fact, I feel any system will fail because, notwithstanding isolated pockets to the contrary, humans are the weak link and always will be.

But, I digress ;-)

Over your way, there's a crowd who are making supercapacitors for solar storage, using a fraction of the resources that are usually needed for effective storage. In the US there's a crowd who have solar 'panels' that not just nudge but blow right through the previously accepted theoretical efficiency limits. There are electric motors that out-torque, out cost-of-production, out-perform, outlast internal combustion engines.

I can't see us making it beyond this year or much into the next year before the wheels fall off global markets, unfortunately. But here's hoping we do and some of the great promise of technological advancements filter down to us plebs before this cycle is done.

New plug and it ran great! Chain is about done but enough to cut up a small pile. View attachment 655660This is my first free saw. Where is the saw scrounging thread again?

You need to post this in the “You suck” thread. Nice find. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure the Tree Guy's 660 has a bad seal even w/o pressure testing. (see pic). I can tune it to idle fine, and as soon as you rotate it 90* either direction, it stalls.

Also pressure tested two of my "project cases" that have good bearings, and both of them bubbled the seal also … GRRRRRRR!!!!! (1 - 046, 1 - MS460)

Oh well, I have work to do.

None of the local shops had the 660 seals, so I will have to order them on Monday.

Attachments

• IMG_20180602_123438227.jpg
    IMG_20180602_123438227.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 14
Got to put some time on the 7910 today. It came around like you said it would. Borrowed the 32" bar off @bear1998 395 and burried it in a log it pulled it no problem.
Glad to here James, not sure what's up with that and those saws, not sure if others have experienced it, but I did twice now.
Did that 24" chain feel any better after she perked up:chainsaw:.

I fear there are people in the current generation who have never experienced 20+% interest rates and will, I'm quite sure, feel that sort of pain before their mortgages are paid off. Mankind is beyond capable of learning from history and thus doomed to repeat it.

Imagine where we'd be today and where we could be, if throughout history we spent the $ and human resources solving problems rather than seeking usurious advantages over our fellow man? If we were not slaves to a concentrated power but free to spend our lives adding to the greater good, learning from and advancing the greater knowledge of society. Instead, we are largely shackled to a regime that pretends to provide us choices and self-determination but most often merely renders us captured and not often fulfilling our true potential, at great cost to mankind in general. Suck a feckless system like this is doomed to failure. In fact, I feel any system will fail because, notwithstanding isolated pockets to the contrary, humans are the weak link and always will be.

But, I digress ;-)

Over your way, there's a crowd who are making supercapacitors for solar storage, using a fraction of the resources that are usually needed for effective storage. In the US there's a crowd who have solar 'panels' that not just nudge but blow right through the previously accepted theoretical efficiency limits. There are electric motors that out-torque, out cost-of-production, out-perform, outlast internal combustion engines.

I can't see us making it beyond this year or much into the next year before the wheels fall off global markets, unfortunately. But here's hoping we do and some of the great promise of technological advancements filter down to us plebs before this cycle is done.
Not me praise God:happy:. I believe folks can learn, but they choose not to, ignoring what they know to be true in order to live the lie they are familiar and comfortable with.
Not everyone is a slave to it. Not sure what you mean by the greater knowledge of society, but the general knowledge I see in society these days is give give give, which means no one wants to work for anything.
As far as I know most electric motors quickly out torque gas ones, it's just the batter side of things that need the biggest advance, and I agree it shouldn't be long even with many powers that be fighting it tooth and nail.

I agree, the market has been due, and personally I'm surprised it's taken this long. I'm ready for it and ready to invest during the next cycle. We bought the house we are currently in at the end of the last cycle, I'm hoping to help the economy in the next downturn by investing in a new pole building. Low
re-assessment after the building will cause our taxes to be less for the duration of our stay here, materials will be cheaper, and I may have someone else willing to build the whole thing for less than what I could buy the materials for right now. Plan for the worse and hope for the best, things have been good for quite a while and folks are back to the same old spending money they don't have, there has to be a reckoning it's just how it is.
Did I digress :D.

Latest posts

Back