Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting started this week, 3rd load....

View attachment 661104
starting the the stack....
View attachment 661103
gonna be a long stack....
View attachment 661105

...I forgot to mention I found this wood on Craigslist under the "free" for sale adds one evening. A lady posted free wood and pictures of 2 large Oak trunks laying on the ground w the tops and small branches removed and hauled off. She even posted a map of her location, 5 miles from my house. I called and told her I would be there the next day after work. I got there and found she had a dozen or more large trees removed and apparently the company left these trees there. Most of the wood was off the ground making it easy to saw and quick. I could also pull my truck up to all of it as her yard was flat and just dirt, prepped to lay sod down. I also cut a 20" w/oak down and took that wood home. It was hot and I enjoyed being able to pull my truck beside the lengths of all of the sawed logs and just pick them up and toss them in the truck/ pull ahead/ repeat, not having to carry them to the truck, I got 5 loads in all.

Are manufacturers still running out of CO2 with the alarming possibility of pubs running dry?
Yep. Pubs are running dry of cider and lager, shops rationing fizzy pop. With England in the world cup quarter final on Saturday (football/soccer) pubs are missing out!

Yep, bitters and ales are flat, scrumpy is too, but these days fizzy alcopops, ciders, and premium french/ German/ European lager of mind bending strength, or slightly more quaffable Aussie larger (Fosters) are a very large portion of the market, particularly in summer time. Even lots of our ales or stouts are kegged, needing co2 to drive them out, not casked and hand pumped, others can't even get out the brewery....co2 is used to drive them round pipes and into barrels. We are going to up the sale of wine I reckon!

20180706_071514.jpg Haven't had a reason to run a saw in close to a month. But free stuff keeps following me home. The one with the tag needs a carb and the one with the broken handle has a good carb. The local stihl dealer wanted $150 to put a carb on so they scraped them both. I'll go over the carb on the complete one and if that doesn't work I'll swap the carb off the broken one.

So I chased an update on the dolmakitasachsaw. they said that 'makita tell us they will restock on 30 July, we will contact you with shipping information soon after that' pfff. Still...not had a chance to run a saw for ages anyway. I've stacked about a cord of stuff waiting processing now....need to get on the saw but wont have a chance for a while....nothing to split....all i can do is collect....I just sent a text to my tree guy.

So I chased an update on the dolmakitasachsaw. they said that 'makita tell us they will restock on 30 July, we will contact you with shipping information soon after that' pfff. Still...not had a chance to run a saw for ages anyway. I've stacked about a cord of stuff waiting processing now....need to get on the saw but wont have a chance for a while....nothing to split....all i can do is collect....I just sent a text to my tree guy.
I'm getting the 7910 out in a few minutes to do some stumping. I'll put some picks up for you

Took a family trip to "Longwood Gardens" yesterday. Pierre du Ponts Gardens. Turned out to be a beautiful day, took too many pics to start to post. Here's a couple. This one plant, they misspelled the name, but I couldn't find anyone to tell them to change it, everyone knows Filbert is spelled with a Ph, Philbert.
EgtGH4i.jpg

View attachment 661478 Haven't had a reason to run a saw in close to a month. But free stuff keeps following me home. The one with the tag needs a carb and the one with the broken handle has a good carb. The local stihl dealer wanted $150 to put a carb on so they scraped them both. I'll go over the carb on the complete one and if that doesn't work I'll swap the carb off the broken one.
James shoot me the part #of that carb. might have a brand new one in the shop. it was for a string trimmer but might be the same.

Bummed out, I took pics of the name tags on all the trees I took pics of, and for some reason, almost none of them turned out, as in, not there. I took a pic of a giant Yellow Chestnut Oak. It had leaves like a Chestnut Oak and bark like a White Oak, and said it was in the Beech family. I just did a search and it lists the Yellow Chestnut Oak as the same tree as the Chinkapin Oak. We have them in Western MD, I guess I never noticed the bark.

Bummed out, I took pics of the name tags on all the trees I took pics of, and for some reason, almost none of them turned out, as in, not there. I took a pic of a giant Yellow Chestnut Oak. It had leaves like a Chestnut Oak and bark like a White Oak, and said it was in the Beech family. I just did a search and it lists the Yellow Chestnut Oak as the same tree as the Chinkapin Oak. We have them in Western MD, I guess I never noticed the bark.
There’s some chestnut oaks up here (NY), I guess I never looked to see what subspecies they were. Beautiful trees.

Latest posts

Back