Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Latest CL score, clear cut all of it. Prolly a couple of acres there. Nibbled on it a bit this morning clearing out a trail towards the center.
View attachment 661744 View attachment 661745 View attachment 661747 View attachment 661748 View attachment 661749 View attachment 661750

Plenty hot and thick with brush. Should lay down a bit with some traffic.

Let me get this right. You get to go and slay 2 acres worth of trees (not spruce)? Score!

What's the catch? Have to pull or burn stumps? Clear brush?

One way or another, it's gonna take a lot of pics :happybanana:

View attachment 661758 Got up this morning and the cooler air felt like wood weather so I split. Thought maybe I’d finish it but there was more than I guessed at. The smaller pile in the foreground is a mix of willow and poplar. I have already mixed in a little with my heating wood so this will be campfire wood. Later in the day I got the ms460 out and cut some chunks too long for the splitter and noodled a couple gnarly elm rounds. Knocked the heck out of the honey do list as well so both of us are happy!

That's a good looking pile! Looks like there's some stacking to do. Assuming that you're six foot tall and assuming that pic was taken from about chest height, that pile must be about 15 feet high....that's about worthy of being called Mt Nazi.

Can't beat delivered scrounge!!!!:rock: Dry ash and green locust. I was planning on picking this up this morning but the guys wife said she wanted it out of the yard because they were having a family get together today. It wasn't totally free. i gave the guy 2 dozen sweet corn from the market.
20180707_135716.jpg

Can't beat delivered scrounge!!!!:rock: Dry ash and green locust. I was planning on picking this up this morning but the guys wife said she wanted it out of the yard because they were having a family get together today. It wasn't totally free. i gave the guy 2 dozen sweet corn from the market.
View attachment 661814

Are the BTUs from 24 sweet corn as good as a trailer load of ash and locust?

Latest CL score, clear cut all of it. Prolly a couple of acres there. Nibbled on it a bit this morning clearing out a trail towards the center.
View attachment 661744 View attachment 661745 View attachment 661747 View attachment 661748 View attachment 661749 View attachment 661750

Plenty hot and thick with brush. Should lay down a bit with some traffic.
Wow, that's a lot of work. I hope you don't have to clean anything up. Looks like a bunch of dead standing trees. Can you pick and choose, or do you have to start at one point and clear everything. Should have a mountain of CSS by winter!

This is one of the ones I lost the name tag for, and it's one of my favorites. I think the tag said something like "Notta Spruce"?
WeI5d0u.jpg

looks like it. It starts as a plant just like that then vines up whatever it can grab
That’s what I was thinking. The hairy vines are very easy to identify compared to other ivy and creeper.

It’s funny because when this stuff is present it’s very thick. But it’s only in a few places on this property.

Let me get this right. You get to go and slay 2 acres worth of trees (not spruce)? Score!

What's the catch? Have to pull or burn stumps? Clear brush?

One way or another, it's gonna take a lot of pics :happybanana:

In true CL fashion, there is always a bit of a catch. I dont have to mess with brush or stumps, no shares, fees, etc. but it is on a fair slope for these parts, there is a pole height power line running thru part of it (a.k.a. the best part of it), and it needs to be done in the next few weeks.

Still working out my logistics for getting it all out of there. Flop and drop is the easy part.

Wow, that's a lot of work. I hope you don't have to clean anything up. Looks like a bunch of dead standing trees. Can you pick and choose, or do you have to start at one point and clear everything. Should have a mountain of CSS by winter!

I can and will cherry pick it as I have a bit of a schedule to work around, but I am not against taking the standing dead as well as the live. I'll grab the stems first and then work on tops as time allows. The whole site is going to get dozed over in the future.

I can and will cherry pick it as I have a bit of a schedule to work around, but I am not against taking the standing dead as well as the live. I'll grab the stems first and then work on tops as time allows. The whole site is going to get dozed over in the future.
Sounds good. If you had to clean up all the debris it would be a deal breaker for me. Now we need weekly updates. :)

I treat every suspected plant like kryptonite lol. I even wash my winter clothing after every potential exposure. Knock on wood, no rash yet and I’ve been cutting here for 5 years.
Google. Poison Oak, Poison Ivy, Poison Sumac and Virginia Creeper. The creeper isnt poisonous but for some reason people mistake it for PI then get PI because they didn't know it was PI. They were avoiding the creeper.

Latest posts

Back