Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I ever buy another large saw, this will be the one.
I have no complaints. Haven't used it a lot but its shore to get more time when the weather cools and scrounging picks up again. Plenty of saw for anything I'll run into but still thoughts of Miller Mod Saws dance in my head.

I have no complaints. Haven't used it a lot but its shore to get more time when the weather cools and scrounging picks up again. Plenty of saw for anything I'll run into but still thoughts of Miller Mod Saws dance in my head.
When the time comes I’d have him do it up right from the start.

My buddy wanted a new saw so we hooked him up with a muffler modded/timing advanced 50 cc Makita from Carl. It arrives in MN on Monday. He’s going to be thrilled.

When the time comes I’d have him do it up right from the start.

My buddy wanted a new saw so we hooked him up with a muffler modded/timing advanced 50 cc Makita from Carl. It arrives in MN on Monday. He’s going to be thrilled.
I've heard Carl is the Dolmakita guy.

Little bit of scrounging as I brought some oak home from a tree trimming job, not sure what kind of oak it is but I'll post pictures of it later. Split easy so what little bit I brought home is already in the stack, kind of a sweeter smell to it. Ash and maple, and one tree I'm not sure of but it all went to the tree dump, I more I trim ash trees the more I hate them. My uncle has a dead american elm in his yard that lost a lot of branches due to some straight line winds on the fourth so I might do that as well, but I've made it clear that my 661 stays in storage until the temps drop. He also has a 40ish foot pine tree that he wants taken down. It's a nice looking, healthy tree, between the garage and another shed. He says it makes too much of a mess, I'll make a bigger one but after it's cleaned up I suppose that'll be it. This leads me to a question for all of you, as I don't deal with much coniferous trees here.

Is it better to wait until this fall/winter to cut down the pine tree, or should I just get it done. Aren't they kind of sappy either way? I bought my 193T as a tool so but I'm sure I can clean it up just fine.

Little bit of scrounging as I brought some oak home from a tree trimming job, not sure what kind of oak it is but I'll post pictures of it later. Split easy so what little bit I brought home is already in the stack, kind of a sweeter smell to it. Ash and maple, and one tree I'm not sure of but it all went to the tree dump, I more I trim ash trees the more I hate them. My uncle has a dead american elm in his yard that lost a lot of branches due to some straight line winds on the fourth so I might do that as well, but I've made it clear that my 661 stays in storage until the temps drop. He also has a 40ish foot pine tree that he wants taken down. It's a nice looking, healthy tree, between the garage and another shed. He says it makes too much of a mess, I'll make a bigger one but after it's cleaned up I suppose that'll be it. This leads me to a question for all of you, as I don't deal with much coniferous trees here.

Is it better to wait until this fall/winter to cut down the pine tree, or should I just get it done. Aren't they kind of sappy either way? I bought my 193T as a tool so but I'm sure I can clean it up just fine.
I'd cut it in the winter if it can wait. Less sap to deal with in the cold months. Around here if it doesn't effect us we let it fall on it's own and rot where it lands. Easiest way to stay clean dealing with pine :laugh:.

1403F9FC-6CD5-469A-8C03-ECE0C3B785AE.jpeg Got up this morning and the cooler air felt like wood weather so I split. Thought maybe I’d finish it but there was more than I guessed at. The smaller pile in the foreground is a mix of willow and poplar. I have already mixed in a little with my heating wood so this will be campfire wood. Later in the day I got the ms460 out and cut some chunks too long for the splitter and noodled a couple gnarly elm rounds. Knocked the heck out of the honey do list as well so both of us are happy!

Side rant. My friends know I’m into saws and ask me about where to get deals. So we figure out what saw is best for them and I go to Bob or Carl for a price depending on which saw they need. I always get them a great price and pass on the dealer’s contact number and they never follow through.

I finally started telling people I’ll only go to my sources for a price if they are absolutely serious. This buddy said yes absolutely just get the deal done. The way it should be.

Side rant. My friends know I’m into saws and ask me about where to get deals. So we figure out what saw is best for them and I go to Bob or Carl for a price depending on which saw they need. I always get them a great price and pass on the dealer’s contact number and they never follow through.

I finally started telling people I’ll only go to my sources for a price if they are absolutely serious. This buddy said yes absolutely just get the deal done. The way it should be.
Same here. I don't even bother these days. Have had a few great group buys lined up only to watch my time and goodwill with the supplier go up in smoke when it came time to get the money off those who said they were keen.

I'd cut it in the winter if it can wait. Less sap to deal with in the cold months. Around here if it doesn't effect us we let it fall on it's own and rot where it lands. Easiest way to stay clean dealing with pine :laugh:.

Re the pine. Drop it and let it sit as long as possible before cleaning it up. I’ve been doing battle with balsams around my cabin for years. If they aren’t in the way I’ll let them sit for a full year before processing. No mess and half the needles have already fallen off.

I'll have to take a closer look at it, main worry is the sap running through the chain/spur drive area but as I mentioned, I'm sure I can clean that out of there. I prefer not to prolong things but you guys here are smarter than I am at cutting pine.

Here's the oak I brought home, haven't yet identified it but that's not really going to matter at this point. Thinking I should have brought more home but I've got enough oak, and I was more concerned with getting that tree limbed out.

36758195_10214353486209291_6261360395357782016_n.jpg 36751505_10214353488609351_3471223359247745024_n.jpg 36808302_10214353490129389_4875526928867524608_n.jpg 36741567_10214353491089413_7595461551998369792_n.jpg

Sap is more of an inconvenience than a mechanical issue. It’s on you and it’s on your equipment. It can be cleaned but wrecks your clothing and makes the job unpleasant.

Will it be that much less of an issue in the winter? If I were to cut it now will it be oozing? I've found that "Tub o Towels" stuff works rather good at cleaning, and usually wipe my saws down with that, but with the 193T being outboard it requires a little more to "take it down" to clean it good.

Back