Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thankfully we don't get it. Worst we have are stinging nettles and brambles for thorns. We leave the drop bears, crocs, sharks, nasty spiders and painful plants to the rest of the world.

I'm clear cutting a creek bottom that was planted with willow 100 years ago. Old, dying and huge. Stinging nettles abound. I either just ignore them and scrath the itch later or mow them down with hte chainsaw. A chainsaw makes a pretty good mower if one can stand sweeping it while bent double.

These guy's might get some kind of scrounging award.
r5Vo8fw.jpg

AiKttd5.jpg

rwPmIsM.jpg

JUC7Ism.jpg

Just think, a scrounge coming from Toronto and Alaska, to PA!
Hate to be a negative Nancy but is there a sticker detailing the greenhouse gases belched into the atmosphere when the steel support beams they used were made? Or perhaps those beams were from a toothpaste factory too so the original pollution in their manufacture doesn't count?

For the last six months have been trying to get USFS approval on a fuel reduction project, but new personnel at the office makes progress more challenging. Now that fire season is officially well underway cutting timber will not be easy for quite some time. In the meantime a customer calls and asks if I would be interested in removing a hand full of trees off his property. I poked around his property a little and did not see any thing worthy of noting. Then he calls back and say just look a few hundred feet down his hill side and they are noticeable. A month later I have several larger pines just under 60''. They have to be relocated into the back of one of my trucks so as to process the wood. Relocating the wood to the nearest access is proving a bit of a challenge. How does any body else move wood that has no easy access.

Attachments

• stv9E.jpg
    stv9E.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 19
  • stv10.jpg
    stv10.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 19
  • stv5.jpg
    stv5.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 19
  • stv15.jpg
    stv15.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 19
Thankfully we don't get it. Worst we have are stinging nettles and brambles for thorns. We leave the drop bears, crocs, sharks, nasty spiders and painful plants to the rest of the world.
Now you see why we left Merry Old England. Boring, nothing to keep you on your toes. Just wait till you get to Kansas with all of the Lions, and Tigers and Bears, oh my.

Hate to be a negative Nancy but is there a sticker detailing the greenhouse gases belched into the atmosphere when the steel support beams they used were made? Or perhaps those beams were from a toothpaste factory too so the original pollution in their manufacture doesn't count?
We buy all of our steel offshore now.

For the last six months have been trying to get USFS approval on a fuel reduction project, but new personnel at the office makes progress more challenging. Now that fire season is officially well underway cutting timber will not be easy for quite some time. In the meantime a customer calls and asks if I would be interested in removing a hand full of trees off his property. I poked around his property a little and did not see any thing worthy of noting. Then he calls back and say just look a few hundred feet down his hill side and they are noticeable. A month later I have several larger pines just under 60''. They have to be relocated into the back of one of my trucks so as to process the wood. Relocating the wood to the nearest access is proving a bit of a challenge. How does any body else move wood that has no easy access.
Better get a cable son, better get a real long one.

Havent scrounged in months...scroungin season has been over for me for a while. I wont have to scrounge any this winter either. Only saw I have ran in months is my little t540xp w/12"b&c...put it in the trunk of the quad and have been clearing ATV trails on my gf's property in SE Ohio. 45 acres to do whatever we want. Most of the clearing is brush though so the loppers have got the workout on this job

A lot depends on just how far away it is from access and what I have to work with. I can see a house in one pic and a powerline in another. This suggest to me that the trees are within cable lenght. For trees I can reach with a cable, I never cut them any shorter than I can pull in one piece. A 60in dia pine would be hard to pull. I use a long cable and snatch blocks hung along the route to direct the tree the direction I want them to go. Once dragged close to the truck, then I buck to size. If I have a fel, I will load on my dump trailer in log lenghts to process once I get home. Once I helped remove some trees from around a fancy house down in Ga. ouside Atlanta. Couldnt drive around or tear up the grass. We stretched cables between trees and winched the logs into the air and then trollied them out of the back yard. A mini skyline of sorts. Homeowner was impressed as the only tracks in his lawn where our foot prints. It was a slow go job, but it paid well.

PortaWinch at the least , tractor with a 3pt or try to set up a skyline of sorts .
Some times an IronHorse would be a nice tool .

Image117-768x1024.jpg

And you guys thot I took the weekend off I'll bet .
Yesterday I went over to where one of my buddies had called me in the spring , they had called me again a week ago wanting to know if I wanted more ...
This time I called a friend of mime on the same road and offered it to him .
Well all went according to plan until I tried to turn around in his back yard ,,,

3T05pBd.jpg

Rocks or muck , I found the muck :(
Out came the Tirfor

DNyreeG.jpg

t7HVLyl.jpg

t9zX5ul.jpg

And after a bit of effort , Presto , Pick up , Isle 6 Lol

AvnqlMK.jpg

dV0RGoV.jpg

Not glorious wood , just spruce and fir but it's 2 cord that he didn't have before and only cost him some sweat equity and an ice cold beer :)

Today , I almost took the day off , I did split up a milkcrate full of kindlin from some of my shorts and sharpened up a couple of saws for the next outing ;)

And you guys thot I took the weekend off I'll bet .
Yesterday I went over to where one of my buddies had called me in the spring , they had called me again a week ago wanting to know if I wanted more ...
This time I called a friend of mime on the same road and offered it to him .
Well all went according to plan until I tried to turn around in his back yard ,,,

3T05pBd.jpg

Rocks or muck , I found the muck :(
Out came the Tirfor

DNyreeG.jpg

t7HVLyl.jpg

t9zX5ul.jpg

And after a bit of effort , Presto , Pick up , Isle 6 Lol

AvnqlMK.jpg

dV0RGoV.jpg

Not glorious wood , just spruce and fir but it's 2 cord that he didn't have before and only cost him some sweat equity and an ice cold beer :)

Today , I almost took the day off , I did split up a milkcrate full of kindlin from some of my shorts and sharpened up a couple of saws for the next outing ;)
Did you run out and buy a lotto ticket? With all that rock, the odds of hitting a "mud" bucket full of MUD, must have been about 1,000,000:1. Oh, I guess that was bad luck, never mind about the lotto ticket.:)

My friend that I hauled the wood to only lives 20 houses away , he was sure that it was impossible to find anything other than rock in that area lol
Did you run out and buy a lotto ticket? With all that rock, the odds of hitting a "mud" bucket full of MUD, must have been about 1,000,000:1. Oh, I guess that was bad luck, never mind about the lotto ticket.:)

Gun guys: There is evidence of bear (black?) down at my gf's land. I own a 17HMR, 243, 338LM and a Glock. At a distance in a hunting situation my 243/338 would be fine for small black bear, but I want more fiyapowa for a defense situation against bear. Carrying my 243/338 out in the woods isn't really an option and the 17HMR isnt big enuf. I carry my 9 w/me out there but I'm not sure thats enuf either. The only other option we have is her 20ga rifled deer gun. Do they make a 20ga round that would be good for that? I dont hunt deer and dont know much about deer slugs or shotgun slugs at all. Right now it has a 3-9x40 scope on it but if I set it up with a red dot sight I think it would be pretty good at closer ranges for "big game". I dont have the money for a dedicated bear gun, and would much rather stay with a long gun than a handgun. Handguns that are big enough to take bear are heavy, recoil like mad, are super loud and are expensive to buy and feed. Suggestions?

Latest posts

Back