Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20180707_155948.jpg Cut a load of ash Saturday with the new saw. Nice to see some things don't change. Dumped one on my bench and another tankful into my toolbox. And look at this black cherry, 64" around and 25' to the 1st branch and deep in the bush. I can't believe I've never seen it before, several other small ones around it too.
IMG_20180707_160109.jpg IMG_20180707_155948.jpg IMG_20180707_134443.jpg IMG_20180707_134439.jpg

We found 180gr wad cutters to give the best penetration. The heavier bullets didnt perform like one would expect. I suspect not enough muzzle velocity, even when fired out of a carbine. I dont go on the big hunts anymore, but all my old hunting buddies have went to larger cartridges. 45/70, 444, even 35rem in lever action rifles. When I went to Canada and Vermont, I took a 30-06, 742rem. We dog hunted, so short rifles are preferred over the longer bolt action because of wadeing thru the brush. The largest black bears in the world have come from coastal NC. My friend I mentioned almost getting eatup by a blackbear, actually broke the world record for blackbear several years back, but then his record was broke that same day. Both bears where killed within just a few miles of each other. The record has been broken a couple times since. This was way back in the 1990's.
My brother has a 35 rem lever gun. Things a thumper in a short rifle.

Stay out of 45 acres of private property because there are bears there? Sure. We will just let it sit till the end of Earth untouched.

???
My buddy has a cabin on the edge of new Germany state park in western Maryland. We've been going there since we were teens and seen a good number of bears. As close as 25 feet and never felt threatened. Just keep your eyes open and you should be fine.

This WE 5 of us worked like dogs, both days doing a 20' X 24' concrete floor in my hunting cabin. Just the logistics of getting all the materials up the Mtn on the 2 mi 4WD rd was a nightmare. We used 8 tons of 1/2" gravel, almost 300 gal of water, and 6 skids (252 80lb bags) of concrete.

We did the gravel, vapor barrier, 2" insulation, wire and pecks (if we ever decide to use it) on Sat, and the Concrete on Sunday, plus a trench for drainage.

We had captured 200 gal of water in barrels from the gutters, but it was not enough, had to take my Escape (no room for a truck) with the cargo basket 3/4 of a mi up an old skidding road to a swamp where we pumped water with a sump pump into buckets. Luckily, we got about 100 + gal in three trips, cause we were afraid to make a 4th trip, the ruts were getting so deep we were about to turtle the vehicle.

We had a mixer, but I could see it would not be enough, so while my brother did the trench with the Excavator, and my friend Harold, my Nephew Mechacnic Matt, and my Grand Nephew mixed with the mixer, and floated, etc, I mixed in the wheelbarrow. Could only do 1 bag for every 2 they did, but that is a 33% increase, and we started before 7am and did not finish the concrete till after 4 pm, then clean up and pack up and a 3 hour trip home.

Sat was a lot of work, but Sun we were up at 6am and I did not get home (no dinner yet) till 9:30pm. It was a long WE! But, we got it done! Also, the little excavator had to be driven separately up and down the mtn.

Now, the missing paint near the removed door frame, the Porky's climbed the door frame and started chewing. I think I'm going to have to put metal around the door frame when I put it back (it is just boarded over for now).

In the last pic is my brother, my Nephew (Mechanic Matt), my friend Harold, and my Grand Nephew Derek (21). Me, Harold and my brother are all mid 60s (within 2 years total), but we kept going pretty well, but the two younger guys worked so hard and continuously that Harold told me if he had them working with him, he could re do NYC in a week!

We had to put a moisture barrier in the floor because we were getting black mold on the inside of the roof. I was wondering why the new cabin got black mold and the old one never did, and I think I discovered the answer. We patched a small square of the roof in the old cabin with the same snow guard under the shingles as the new cabin has, and that square of the roof now also has black mold. I think the snow guard is just so effective it does not let the roof breathe.

Sat, after dark, we did get to relax a bit, and plan strategy for the next day, by a nice fire.

Attached Files:

Attachments

• IMG_20180708_160419200_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180708_160419200_HDR.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20180708_160411721.jpg
    IMG_20180708_160411721.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20180707_230119322.jpg
    IMG_20180707_230119322.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20180708_162651961.jpg
    IMG_20180708_162651961.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 37
yeah long,ovwrsized and heavy so I'm in for a nightmare, that cherry you have ain't to bad when dry
It looks big and crotchety, noodle time.

I find the prunus very varied. I guess in an urban area there are so many different sub species, some ornamental like those that line my street, some fruiting. Wood data base shows 12% MC density from under 0.5 to about 0.8 and only lists about 4 prunus. This one has shiny bark...I haven't burnt loads like this but what I have I've found dries poorly, think it is like birch with waterproof bark so I'll make sure to split even the small stuff.

Never had any beech yet. I bet it is good wood but that tree is going to make you work for it!

This WE 5 of us worked like dogs, both days doing a 20' X 24' concrete floor in my hunting cabin. Just the logistics of getting all the materials up the Mtn on the 2 mi 4WD rd was a nightmare. We used 8 tons of 1/2" gravel, almost 300 gal of water, and 6 skids (252 80lb bags) of concrete.

We did the gravel, vapor barrier, 2" insulation, wire and pecks (if we ever decide to use it) on Sat, and the Concrete on Sunday, plus a trench for drainage.

We had captured 200 gal of water in barrels from the gutters, but it was not enough, had to take my Escape (no room for a truck) with the cargo basket 3/4 of a mi up an old skidding road to a swamp where we pumped water with a sump pump into buckets. Luckily, we got about 100 + gal in three trips, cause we were afraid to make a 4th trip, the ruts were getting so deep we were about to turtle the vehicle.

We had a mixer, but I could see it would not be enough, so while my brother did the trench with the Excavator, and my friend Harold, my Nephew Mechacnic Matt, and my Grand Nephew mixed with the mixer, and floated, etc, I mixed in the wheelbarrow. Could only do 1 bag for every 2 they did, but that is a 33% increase, and we started before 7am and did not finish the concrete till after 4 pm, then clean up and pack up and a 3 hour trip home.

Sat was a lot of work, but Sun we were up at 6am and I did not get home (no dinner yet) till 9:30pm. It was a long WE! But, we got it done! Also, the little excavator had to be driven separately up and down the mtn.

Now, the missing paint near the removed door frame, the Porky's climbed the door frame and started chewing. I think I'm going to have to put metal around the door frame when I put it back (it is just boarded over for now).

In the last pic is my brother, my Nephew (Mechanic Matt), my friend Harold, and my Grand Nephew Derek (21). Me, Harold and my brother are all mid 60s (within 2 years total), but we kept going pretty well, but the two younger guys worked so hard and continuously that Harold told me if he had them working with him, he could re do NYC in a week!

We had to put a moisture barrier in the floor because we were getting black mold on the inside of the roof. I was wondering why the new cabin got black mold and the old one never did, and I think I discovered the answer. We patched a small square of the roof in the old cabin with the same snow guard under the shingles as the new cabin has, and that square of the roof now also has black mold. I think the snow guard is just so effective it does not let the roof breathe.

Sat, after dark, we did get to relax a bit, and plan strategy for the next day, by a nice fire.

Attached Files:
I mixed concrete in a big plasti tub to pour my firepit patio. We used those little paver molds to give it the rock look.. Best tool for mixing the concrete I found was a sheet rock paddle in a cordless drill. the dewalt drill worked well, just keep a bunch of extra batteries on hand. Once you figure out the right amount of water to add to the mix, just fill the tub with water start mixing and have some one pour in the cement. I think it worked faster than mixing in a mixer. I tried the mixing paddle in a wheelbarrow, but the paddles would sling the concrete everywhere. A deep tub worked out really well.

It looks big and crotchety, noodle time.

I find the prunus very varied. I guess in an urban area there are so many different sub species, some ornamental like those that line my street, some fruiting. Wood data base shows 12% MC density from under 0.5 to about 0.8 and only lists about 4 prunus. This one has shiny bark...I haven't burnt loads like this but what I have I've found dries poorly, think it is like birch with waterproof bark so I'll make sure to split even the small stuff.

Never had any beech yet. I bet it is good wood but that tree is going to make you work for it!
It's a old tree and is damn near impossible to split by hand to split by hand lucky enough there is a good 20' foot or so from the bottom without any knots

We got back to MN late last night. Almost 6” of rain in the gauge over the past 10 days since we left. A couple of big washouts in our road but we were able to navigate over them.

It was funny that of the two trees that I lost, which were both canker damaged aspen, one of them fell right on the the saw horse!

6B548CB3-5AFF-4CA0-96DE-A59D323B5116.jpeg A39CDCFD-B952-4F3A-B5D8-69788B4218EB.jpeg

Lillies from my MIL are just past full bloom
DC281C65-26CB-4624-8589-7D4B0FFC9930.jpeg

Yes, I'll get pictures later. I think this is the first time I've posted on this thread. Anyway, I mostly just cut on our property and always have tons of wood. An opportunity presented itself that is amazing and a huge blessing. I've been a bit behind on getting wood brought up, and we owe our midwife about 3.5 cords. (Yes, trading firewood as part of the birth of our next boy. We did with the last one too. Also pork and some work. Works out great.) I talked to a big local tree service about getting some wood. He had posted on facebook about looking for people to get it. He used to work for the city where I do and knows where my office is downtown. He calls or texts me the address where the wood is and I have a couple days to get it. It's all cut to length and I just back right up to where it is. So far it's all been within 5 minutes of work. In 5 days I've gotten 6+ pickup truck loads of wood. I have wood sitting in the truck right now. I was walking back from lunch with my wife and kids, and he texts me again. More hard maple a few minutes away! I know it helps him out and it sure helps me out a ton too! I need to work at home this evening, but may have to get wood while I can.

Back