Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
indian summer here this week, 21-22 Celcius. house sat at 23C ...got like that after running the stove last night...not burnt tonight...still 23C t-shirt as i sit here on the sofa. still feel a bit odd though...dad's in hospital and only coming out in a box this time

Sorry to hear that, Neil.

indian summer here this week, 21-22 Celcius. house sat at 23C ...got like that after running the stove last night...not burnt tonight...still 23C t-shirt as i sit here on the sofa. still feel a bit odd though...dad's in hospital and only coming out in a box this time
Not good Neil, as one of my neighbors said when my mum died of cancer..... “That’s the problem with this life, no one gets out of it alive”.

Did you ask to run one of their saws?
They didn’t have one. I asked a guy about it and he said they didn’t train for that so they don’t use them. They used the jaws of life to shear a lot of it and the rest was bow saws and axes.

Local Mulberry scrounge. Two truck loads. Just had to pick it up, as it was already down and cut up.
emoji1303.png
350a0ae59a162c637daed954fa2119ad.jpg
978722ff87eabc73d3397db0a68e4722.jpg
6000d2ebb8b9b28c20328e9d200dbb4e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AAAAHH Mulberry!!! :rock: nice looking pooch. good for you on the rescue.

so sorry, nothing can be said that can ease what your felling now.

The shelters are loaded with Pit/Pit mixes, most of them real good dogs. We have had 3 (not at the same time), still have 2, but Thor was a cut above, bonded with me and had judgement, something you just can't "train".

Yes, there are dogs that are very good at judging someone’s “character”. I usually adopt rescues rather than getting a puppy. Sometimes it’s a gamble because you don’t know the dogs history but sometimes it pays off.

Sorry to hear Neil, you and your family are in our prayers.

Yes, there are dogs that are very good at judging someone’s “character”. I usually adopt rescues rather than getting a puppy. Sometimes it’s a gamble because you don’t know the dogs history but sometimes it pays off.

I bought Bonehead from an Amish farmer that was getting rid of him because he wasn’t “aggressive” enough. He is very friendly but he does have a protective side. The neighbor lady who he loves walked over one day and opened the door to walk in before I got to the door. She closed it just as he hit the door. If we let you in he’s a big puppy, don’t walk in on your own.

Attachments

• D5356841-F86D-468E-9E8A-7CECEE3D707F.jpeg
    D5356841-F86D-468E-9E8A-7CECEE3D707F.jpeg
    278.7 KB · Views: 19
Buddy came over to get some wood out of the back yard. He brought a horribly neglected 55 rancher and 440 with him. Saws didnt really run good and the chains were trash. I had to get the 445/550 out and use my saws to cut firewood. I owed him anyway cuz hes a good dude so no big. I havent ran the 550 since last winter and have been running the 445 to save wear and tear on the 550 and just used it as a backup to the 445. When I used them both together I hadn't had enough time on either one to notice much of a difference but now that I have some time on the 445 the differences showed up today when I ran the 550. I have a new respect for the 550. I am going to switch and use the 550 as my primary and use the 445 as a backup. The 550 is a SCREAMER. I wasn't really impressed when I bought the saw because of the difference in price for the amount of performance gain but my mind has changed.

Attachments

• 20181012_154448.jpg
    20181012_154448.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 18
Buddy came over to get some wood out of the back yard. He brought a horribly neglected 55 rancher and 440 with him. Saws didnt really run good and the chains were trash. I had to get the 445/550 out and use my saws to cut firewood. I owed him anyway cuz hes a good dude so no big. I havent ran the 550 since last winter and have been running the 445 to save wear and tear on the 550 and just used it as a backup to the 445. When I used them both together I hadn't had enough time on either one to notice much of a difference but now that I have some time on the 445 the differences showed up today when I ran the 550. I have a new respect for the 550. I am going to switch and use the 550 as my primary and use the 445 as a backup. The 550 is a SCREAMER. I wasn't really impressed when I bought the saw because of the difference in price for the amount of performance gain but my mind has changed.
How many tanks have you ran through the 550, if it hasn't had many it will most likely get a good bit stronger yet:chainsaw:. I also am a big fan of the flippy caps as well as the captive bar nuts :rock:.
I like to run my saws as often as possible and try to run everything at least every month, but it's usually more like every three. Glad it's called off a bit, looking forward to working the wood and running some saws. I split up a face cord with a new to me splitter yesterday, not this type of splitter:chop:lol.

Scrounge?? Guy down the highway 10 miles had a dozen trees put down and bucked into 16" (nominal) rounds. Problem is that it is Cottonwood. I know nothing about it as firewood other than it is unbelievably heavy when green. I took my splitter down today and came home with about 1/3 cord. The splits look like they will season into a fairly heavy chunk.

I know people at least in fly-over country burn it. There is no ready source of the good hardwoods in this area so I burn what ever is available. I burn a lot of willow and in fact heated my house with nothing but willow for about 20 years.

Just wondering if it is worth the work to process it. Even a 16" round is just about all I want to lift onto the splitter.

Scrounge?? Guy down the highway 10 miles had a dozen trees put down and bucked into 16" (nominal) rounds. Problem is that it is Cottonwood. I know nothing about it as firewood other than it is unbelievably heavy when green. I took my splitter down today and came home with about 1/3 cord. The splits look like they will season into a fairly heavy chunk.

I know people at least in fly-over country burn it. There is no ready source of the good hardwoods in this area so I burn what ever is available. I burn a lot of willow and in fact heated my house with nothing but willow for about 20 years.

Just wondering if it is worth the work to process it. Even a 16" round is just about all I want to lift onto the splitter.

It’s worth it. Dries incredibly fast. I cut some earlier this spring and it is almost seasoned enough to burn, already.

Scrounged a truckload of Ash today. I’m on a roll! Lol. Be careful out there! I cut this Ash at a friends and before I could finish the face cut, the tree fell on my bar. I think my face cut was too deep. No harm to the bar or saw. But before I fell the tree, I wanted to rid it of a large branch. The branch fell where we wanted it but it was leaning against the tree. It was a pretty large branch. As i was trimming of the limbs, I mistakenly trimmed the one that was supporting most of the weight. That branch came down off the tree, twisted, smacked me right above the ear and took me to the ground, saw still running. I had a small cut on the top of my ear. My buddy said, “You’re bleeding, You need to go to hospital?”. I said, “Hell no, Let’s cut this tree down!”. Luckily, I did not get hurt. Just a few cuts and scratches. Be careful out there, Fellas.
d9d9f81cc79adeae701ea330e374a195.jpg

Back