Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s worth it. Dries incredibly fast. I cut some earlier this spring and it is almost seasoned enough to burn, already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I'll go back on Monday for another load. I cruised the scattered stuff adn about 1/3 is solid, another third shows about 50% deteriorated with the last third not worth anything. That 1/3 cord I hauled today was approaching my loaded weight limit.

Thanks. I'll go back on Monday for another load. I cruised the scattered stuff adn about 1/3 is solid, another third shows about 50% deteriorated with the last third not worth anything. That 1/3 cord I hauled today was approaching my loaded weight limit.
If I remember right you get a bunch of willow. Very similar with the BTU's. Very wet when green and dries nice if split. Had water run out the trunk when I've cut one before.

Scrounged a truckload of Ash today. I’m on a roll! Lol. Be careful out there! I cut this Ash at a friends and before I could finish the face cut, the tree fell on my bar. I think my face cut was too deep. No harm to the bar or saw. But before I fell the tree, I wanted to rid it of a large branch. The branch fell where we wanted it but it was leaning against the tree. It was a pretty large branch. As i was trimming of the limbs, I mistakenly trimmed the one that was supporting most of the weight. That branch came down off the tree, twisted, smacked me right above the ear and took me to the ground, saw still running. I had a small cut on the top of my ear. My buddy said, “You’re bleeding, You need to go to hospital?”. I said, “Hell no, Let’s cut this tree down!”. Luckily, I did not get hurt. Just a few cuts and scratches. Be careful out there, Fellas.
d9d9f81cc79adeae701ea330e374a195.jpg

Thanks for not only sharing your success story’s but failures and mistakes too.
I like to learn from other people’s misikes, so I guess the lesson learned is pay close attention to what’s holding weight and double check before doing the cut. Glad you weren’t badly injured.

That branch came down off the tree, twisted, smacked me right above the ear and took me to the ground, saw still running. I had a small cut on the top of my ear. My buddy said, “You’re bleeding, You need to go to hospital?”. I said, “Hell no, Let’s cut this tree down!”. Luckily, I did not get hurt. Just a few cuts and scratches. Be careful out there, Fellas.

:surprised3: :omg:

Glad you survived mostly unscathed and that you got him back in the end. As you say, you have to be careful, even when you think it should be easy.

I’ll try to remember to get pics tomorrow. Guy is getting rid of his chectnut trees, his wife is sick of all the burrs. 12 trees, 10”-20” trunks. He already cut them down, all I have to do is limb them, buck the trunks and take the wood, he’ll burn the branches. Another guy called me that I cut up a tree for him last year, his neighbor had a 36” oak come down in our last storm and took a 30” maple with it, I can have both, they’ll burn the branches. Oh yeah!:clap:

Scrounged a truckload of Ash today. I’m on a roll! Lol. Be careful out there! I cut this Ash at a friends and before I could finish the face cut, the tree fell on my bar. I think my face cut was too deep. No harm to the bar or saw. But before I fell the tree, I wanted to rid it of a large branch. The branch fell where we wanted it but it was leaning against the tree. It was a pretty large branch. As i was trimming of the limbs, I mistakenly trimmed the one that was supporting most of the weight. That branch came down off the tree, twisted, smacked me right above the ear and took me to the ground, saw still running. I had a small cut on the top of my ear. My buddy said, “You’re bleeding, You need to go to hospital?”. I said, “Hell no, Let’s cut this tree down!”. Luckily, I did not get hurt. Just a few cuts and scratches. Be careful out there, Fellas.

I've heard arborists call dead standing ash "the most dangerous tree in the forest"

Yes!!! Ash can often rot w/o showing it on the outside, and you can just touch it with the saw and it will fall, no hinge. When it is solid, it is a completely normal tree, but it can rot fast and undetected.

Always be careful with it. My first FIL was a tree guy, and that was one of the first things he taught me, and we encountered one that did just that.

Not totally sure but I would say about 10. I think it held a grudge for getting left in the basement. It brought its "A-game" today fo sho
It will get stronger.
Once your warranty is done run a gallon of dino oil thru it mixed at the same ratio you mix now and you will most likely see even more gains.
550 is a great 18" bar limbing saw, plenty of reach and will buck fairly quick up to 10-12" and burried if needed, and they balance great.

I've heard arborists call dead standing ash "the most dangerous tree in the forest"
Here's a good video showing what kind of problems we have a lot with ash. As mike was saying about felling them can also be true with regards to the branches getting whipped back at you or just breaking when they look solid, always where your hardhat when working with them and keep your eye on them as well as look closely for hangers afterwards!
If you watch closely he makes a "danger zone" bore cut where he uses the top quadrant of the tip to begin his bore cut, this is a bit more advanced, but both face similar but different forces. Save this one for later, but it's a great example and I had to point it out.

I bought Bonehead from an Amish farmer that was getting rid of him because he wasn’t “aggressive” enough. He is very friendly but he does have a protective side. The neighbor lady who he loves walked over one day and opened the door to walk in before I got to the door. She closed it just as he hit the door. If we let you in he’s a big puppy, don’t walk in on your own.

Nice looking dog, do you know what is in him? That disposition seems perfect!

Try to make this quick. The GS I had before this one was the best dog ever, Brutus. The grandkids would be all over him, he would lay there and take it. When he he had enough he would get up, carefully step over kids and go crawl under the bed, he NEVER snapped at one of the kids. One night Sonja’s brother and his wife asked if we would watch the baby while they went out. They dropped the baby off and Brutus went to the couch where we laid the baby. Brutus smelled that baby from head to toe and laid in front of the couch for 4 hours. When they came to get the baby Brutus came and sat by the side of my chair like he did when we had company. He had this low rumble in his chest every time Sonja’s brother talked, he’s loud, obnoxious and usually drunk, Brutus was a good judge of character. When they went to leave and Sonja’s brother put the baby’s winter coat on him he woke up and cried. I barely managed to grab Britus’s collar as he lunged for Sonja’s brother. He almost pulled me out of the chair and I was fat back then, about 220.

If I remember right you get a bunch of willow. Very similar with the BTU's. Very wet when green and dries nice if split. Had water run out the trunk when I've cut one before.

Yeah, I like working up willow and sell it at $120/cord. I was hoping this scrounge was willow. The cottonwood takes a lot longer to work up - have to run the splitter clear to the end on every piece because of strings. But then why am I complaining? I am just doign to to have something to keep me busy. I'll stack it seperately and use it myself next winter

They didn’t have one. I asked a guy about it and he said they didn’t train for that so they don’t use them. They used the jaws of life to shear a lot of it and the rest was bow saws and axes.
Happy Birthday Jeff. Enjoy the Irish pub. :rolleyes: :cheers:

Latest posts

Back