Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And not one of my cleared lots btw , he's about 4 hours from here lol

I did make a pit run to get another load of wood for the week so I didn't have to touch any of my fresher stuff .
XoacvuW.jpg

Hmmm, getting low on wood :(
MWewMUQ.jpg

Maybe not :)
GfkRVmz.jpg

I did make a pit run to get another load of wood for the week so I didn't have to touch any of my fresher stuff .
XoacvuW.jpg

MWewMUQ.jpg

GfkRVmz.jpg
Just looking at that gray handle on the back of the trailer, I know I like the ax. Don't even have to see it, that's my kind of ax.

Got about 3 buckets cut today got 2.5 of it split. 1 cherry filled wood box stacked rest in shed. Remainder is red oak 1/2 a bucket is too wet to put inside so stacked outside. Got dark so have 3 big rounds left to split then will stack that all in the shed.

Finished butchering my deer, then went to a wake. Got another wake to go to tomorrow!

The one tomorrow is for a guy who was 92 and a WW II vet. He had six sons, and some of them continue the hardware store and plumbing business he started. Another works in the chains saw store.

His cousin, also in his 90s and a WW II vet passed a few months ago. For years, every Veterans Day, he single handedly, and at his own expense placed flags on the stones of hundreds of Vets.

History is dying around here!

As someone from the other side of the pond, where we don't do the hunting thing, can you help me out? Why would someone get a tag and hunt if they didn't want the buck themselves? Just for the sport or is it culling for a reason or..? I'd assumed that the filling of the freezer, the subsistence element, was a big plus for most people, and the drive for a few.

I like the meat and bag limits are generous in My state. I actually hunted myself this week but didn’t see any bucks. Here if you buy a license and tags you can kill several in one season legally. So even though I didn’t kill one myself I still get free meat from my buddies who like to hunt but who don’t butcher their own meat or want to pay someone to do it for them. Win all the way around although it is a lot of work! Lol. That’s the essence of scrounging though, putting in work to gather up something of value for free I reckon.

Yes, but if you try to launch a 250 gr bullet at 2,000 FPS you better duck your head when you shoot it. Plus, it is the very rare pistol shooter that will match my accuracy beyond 50 yds., especially with a 1911. I know a guy that has a long barrel Ruger Single Action in 41 mag that is very accurate, but he is the best I have seen.

I am a shooter. I grew up with a father who was among other things... an award winning gunsmith. my dad could make a weapon! beautiful workmanship. did his own reloading. his own bluing. and he could shoot. and he taught me. he had an amazing collection of double barreled rifles. one was a .577 nitro express. the cartridges were machined out of brass stock. elephant gun. i never shot it, but i shot the .450 doubles a few times. he particularly liked the Damascus barrels, not blued, but browned. I have done some shots that amazed the crowd back in my USMC OCS days... even was asked to try out for the local USMC shooting team.

but I don't shoot much these days. you are right about a pistol over a good rifle shooter and firearm. mostly I will say the few times I have shot my 1911 I was amazed at how loud the ring of the round was. and I had plugs in...

but I have seen, as I am sure ya'll have too... one or two amazing pistol guys. I forget their names... but I wouldn't want them made at me! lol ;)

Neil, I'm almost 63 and I've been deer hunting since I was 12. Got my first deer when I was 18. I only shoot what I eat. I've had farmer friends ask me to shoot ground hogs that threaten their live stock. One friend has 20+ race horses and the burrows are instant leg breakers. But, I don't like to shoot things I don't eat, even if there is a viable reason to do so. Some guys hunt big racks and donate the meat to the homeless and needy. I hunt for the meat on my table first, then for friends that like venison, but don't hunt. The year my hunting buddy's son was in Iraq, he shot 9 deer and made Jerky out of all of it, and sent it to the guys in Iraq. There are so many deer where I live you are allowed to take 1 buck and 10 doe on each license, Bow, Muzzle loader, and regular fire arm. I live in a neighbor hood of 1 acre lots. I got up one morning last spring and had 2 deer eating bird seed out of my big tray feeder. A lot of it is culling. One property we have permission to hunt is a "Forest Retention Area". The deer do so much damage to the trees that the land owner has a "crop damage" permit that allows him 20 doe. He can take them year round I think. He is allowed to put a couple peoples names on the permit to act as his agents. I'm not on his crop damage permit, but he lets me hunt the regular seasons. Another friend has several thousand acres of Christmas trees. He gets lots of crop damage tags. He will shoot as many as he can in one setting, scoop them up in a front end loader, and dump them on a giant compost pile. It's kind of hard to think of cute Bambi being dumped on a compost pile. To him, they are just vermin, like big rats, that destroy his crops and lively hood. When I first sarted hunting deer were so scarce just seing one was a joy. Now, my biggest joy is being in the woods with nature. I don't really care if I get a deer myself. I have enough friends on crop damage permits that can get me a deer if I strike out. Deer jerky is a real treat. I think my son could eat a whole deer in two weeks if I turned it all into jerky. I guess that would be my anser to your question. I do it for the jerky. If you would like, I'll send you some. I know John had no problem sending it to Iraq. I'll ask my post office, just in case you want to try some. Oh, I made a big pot of venison chili this morning. No one can tell the difference from beef when I make my chili. I don't try to make it so hot it burns holes in your socks. I put a touch of bron sigar in mine. It's actually my wifes regular chili recipe.

cooked correctly, for many... and I mean many... venison is a real treat. the backstrap's traditional way of rolled in flour, S&P and fried in fresh bacon grease is a real favorite. burger, chops, roasts all come out very tasty properly cooked. I was lucky last season... my neighbor said he was going deer hunting on the family farm. large acreage. I jokingly said, well... bring me some backstrap. omg, he did! :) 2 backstraps. unfrozen. I cooked one right up, froze the other... slow thawed it... and it was just as good as the first, unfrozen one.

I hunt primarily for the healthy meat (very lean, and I make steaks out of as much of it as I can), also to spend time with friends and family and go on an adventure (my cabin is 2 mi in on a 4wd road, no electric, no services), and third, to get out in the woods and enjoy nature. I try to hunt, fish and garden each year. Although the bulk of our food is still store bought, I think it helps you appreciate what you get and where it came from. The garden, and butchering a deer, is a lot of work, and you often put in a lot of hours just to get a deer. I do not always get one. I garden to have fresh, healthy stuff. Some people have access to easy hunting (like apple orchards), other's don't.

ur cabins sounds super! off grid really appeals to my pioneering spirit... well, so long as I don't have depend on me... in the throws of winter. lol. I agree with u about gardening, too. been gardening past 40 yrs or so. both summer and fall gardens. put up 50 qts tomatoes last yr. :) but I am scaling down. I used to garden about 2,000 sq ft... now much less. and this year I reclaimed some of the old garden patch and put back the st auguesting grass. let couple other beds grow to grass. just too much work for me at 71. and the weeds seem to be worse and worse by the year. coming in on distant winds I guess. I have resorted to cardboard as a mulch. very effective. but I still garden. currently, I have fall tomatoes setting, cherries, had purple hull till freeze, okra same, peas doing well... and so is my cilantro and bok choy. other day I put in carrot row, some lettuce... bibs and romaine, radish, spinach, few cabbage... all seeds. I noted today I have them all popping up now. :) one of my set tomatoes is now small marble size. thanks for sharing ur views and lifestyle. :) interesting MM.

some leeks I have growing, but could not resist the big 3 bundle of beautiful leeks at wal-mart today... one bundle - $2.98 ea. Leek soup next week when the cold arrives again...

Attachments

• P4300008.JPG
    P4300008.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
I like the meat and bag limits are generous in My state. I actually hunted myself this week but didn’t see any bucks. Here if you buy a license and tags you can kill several in one season legally. So even though I didn’t kill one myself I still get free meat from my buddies who like to hunt but who don’t butcher their own meat or want to pay someone to do it for them. Win all the way around although it is a lot of work! Lol. That’s the essence of scrounging though, putting in work to gather up something of value for free I reckon.

:yes:

That Frankie has over 180K subs and over 32 million views lol
I'm not just a viewer, but a subscriber :D.

XoacvuW.jpg

MWewMUQ.jpg

GfkRVmz.jpg
Are you sure, it looked very similar :yes:.
On the way back , I spotted a Spruce blowdown and a small dead standing one :)

CuVTtGu.jpg

P5t0y9t.jpg

I delimbed it with my ax and fired up the Kita
93Dw33d.jpg

SUshwmI.jpg

That fresh cut dead standing spruce is good to go !

P64o5sI.jpg
Nice work.
Does the Makita work as well as the Ryobi :chainsaw: :laugh:.
I'm looking forward to watching the batteries progress, will make some great tools in the right situations for sure.

Backstrap is my favorite, but I keep it real healthy. Cut them about 4" long, marinate them, and grill them rare like Fillet Mignon! Comes out like this: Delicious!

indeed! just as u say, just like Filet Mignon... here is some I did...

P6030003.JPG P6030007.JPG P6030010.JPG P6030012.JPG

really tasty!

I'm not just a viewer, but a subscriber :D. Are you sure, it looked very similar :yes:. Nice work. Does the Makita work as well as the Ryobi :chainsaw: :laugh:. I'm looking forward to watching the batteries progress, will make some great tools in the right situations for sure.

I noted the Makita's 'fuel source' with interest. chipper, u r right... no doubt elec power these days is a far cry advanced over my old craftsman short bar elec chain saw. mint condition... lol, light use... yes, 110-v.

really like all the pix! even as still shots, lots of action! :yes:

The cabin is Ash Post +Beam milled with the chainsaw from blown down Ash Trees (that will likely never re grow due to the Emerald Ash Bore).

The solar panel worked well in the summer for our lights, but does not seem to work as well in the winter.

The sides are just stained 5/8 plywood. We put cement board around the bottom to protect it from Porcupines.

Broccoli from the garden.

Attachments

• Cabin10-12-2014 004.jpg
    Cabin10-12-2014 004.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20180508_111844159.jpg
    IMG_20180508_111844159.jpg
    8.7 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20180630_152224377_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180630_152224377_HDR.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 22

Latest posts