Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read a story about a WWII vet many years ago. He was stationed in post-war Germany, where the citizens had been banned even from having hunting rifles. He agreed to take an old gentleman with him, due to their shared love of hunting.

Firing an old M1, the author tells that he was reluctant to shoot an approaching deer because he lacked confidence in the sights & his accuracy. The old guy was going nuts, trying to get him to take the shot.

The deer eventually spooked, and the American hunter desperately fired at the quickly departing white tail; it was the only deer they had seen all day. Miraculously, it fell hard after a short run. When they examined the fallen deer, they couldn't find any blood nor any wound at all. It seems that the bullet flew right up the rectum, tore up the innards, and remained inside the organs.

The old German sagely recognized that all the meat was undamaged, and he wryly commented: "Now I know why we lost the war."

I hope you enjoyed that little tale. I liked it when I read it about 47 years ago; never forgot it.

I scrounged up the Christmas tree yesterday. I think I am going to need more saw next time....
f0e4ca8ceb268430ad3f2ec4fe3b7448.jpg
0bb299eb3688edeed952860764085f57.jpg

lol, did the xmas tree.... guess that's an in-house scrounge...

speaking of small scrounges... could this be one of the world's smallest? it's an oak chunk... where it came from or how it got there... is beyond me. maybe floated there in past floods...?

but I got off the freeway other day, south of town and at a light I spotted it. lying there on the siding grass. hmm... :) so with traffic behind me I did a 360 and came back about and parked next street up. walked back and sure enuff... nice, oak, clean and mine!, although a bit heavy... so I put it in the trunk. pretty soon it was split into sticks on the wood pile... I first had cut the chunk in two...

Attachments

• P4230041.JPG
    P4230041.JPG
    773.9 KB · Views: 21
I read a story about a WWII vet many years ago. He was stationed in post-war Germany, where the citizens had been banned even from having hunting rifles. He agreed to take an old gentleman with him, due to their shared love of hunting.

Firing an old M1, the author tells that he was reluctant to shoot an approaching deer because he lacked confidence in the sights & his accuracy. The old guy was going nuts, trying to get him to take the shot.

The deer eventually spooked, and the American hunter desperately fired at the quickly departing white tail; it was the only deer they had seen all day. Miraculously, it fell hard after a short run. When they examined the fallen deer, they couldn't find any blood nor any wound at all. It seems that the bullet flew right up the rectum, tore up the innards, and remained inside the organs.

The old German sagely recognized that all the meat was undamaged, and he wryly commented: "Now I know why we lost the war."

I hope you enjoyed that little tale. I liked it when I read it about 47 years ago; never forgot it.

yes, good WWII tale... I am a WWII buff.... and i have an M1.... thanks

I guess I made a good shot. Skinned and took the meat off the doe I got with the MZ. Deer was quartering towards me, going down hill, when I shot. Bullet went in the neck half way between head and shoulder, through the lungs, and ended up under the skin on the other side just in front of the hind quarter. Both shoulders were good, both hind quarters were good, and less than an inch of back strap got touched on the one side.

I was very pleased with the lack of meat damage! Time to start cutting it up for the freezer!

good shot! :yes:

> Really a 45 cal plastic tipped pistol bullet in a sabot.

that is quite a round! I know... my 1911 shoots 45's....

Nice mike. What bullet you shootin ?

I use the Hornady SST-ML 250 gr saboted bullet. Really a 45 cal plastic tipped pistol bullet in a sabot.

My charge is two triple 7 magnum pellets (120 gr charge). Very comfortable to shoot (as opposed to 150 gr mag charge), very accurate, and gets the job done every time. Vel approx. 2,000 FPS.

Gun is a CVA Accura with a Bergara stainless barrel. Cleanup is real easy with warm water. Put a Nikon 3 X 9 X 40 scope on it this year … like it, real bright + clear!

Several deer have gone down on the spot, none have gone over 50 yds.

That's my favorite shot at a running deer. that big white target is easy to pick up in the scope.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Texas_heart_shot

I scrounged up the Christmas tree yesterday. I think I am going to need more saw next time....
f0e4ca8ceb268430ad3f2ec4fe3b7448.jpg
0bb299eb3688edeed952860764085f57.jpg
There is a hole in the end of my 45" bar for a helper handle. Think I'll go to TSC and get a little wheel and mount it on the end of the bar, put it on the 1050, and just make a sweep from out side the drip line. The bonus will be a perfectly square, level cut.:)

that is quite a round! I know... my 1911 shoots 45's....

Yes, but if you try to launch a 250 gr bullet at 2,000 FPS you better duck your head when you shoot it. Plus, it is the very rare pistol shooter that will match my accuracy beyond 50 yds., especially with a 1911.

I know a guy that has a long barrel Ruger Single Action in 41 mag that is very accurate, but he is the best I have seen.

I use the Hornady SST-ML 250 gr saboted bullet. Really a 45 cal plastic tipped pistol bullet in a sabot.

My charge is two triple 7 magnum pellets (120 gr charge). Very comfortable to shoot (as opposed to 150 gr mag charge), very accurate, and gets the job done every time. Vel approx. 2,000 FPS.

Gun is a CVA Accura with a Bergara stainless barrel. Cleanup is real easy with warm water. Put a Nikon 3 X 9 X 40 scope on it this year … like it, real bright + clear!

Several deer have gone down on the spot, none have gone over 50 yds.

Most inline mz will shoot more consistently with loose powder. Also those Barnes boat tail tmz are pretty amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, but if you try to launch a 250 gr bullet at 2,000 FPS you better duck your head when you shoot it. Plus, it is the very rare pistol shooter that will match my accuracy beyond 50 yds., especially with a 1911.

I know a guy that has a long barrel Ruger Single Action in 41 mag that is very accurate, but he is the best I have seen.
Only round I know that will do 2000fps from a 5" 1911 is the 22tcm.

Since we are on the topic, I didn’t scrounge any wood this week but I did scrounge four bucks. I’ve put the word out to my friends that I will take unwanted deer as long as they are legal and checked in with the DNR. I’ve butchered four this week and never fired a shot!

View attachment 686390 View attachment 686389

As someone from the other side of the pond, where we don't do the hunting thing, can you help me out? Why would someone get a tag and hunt if they didn't want the buck themselves? Just for the sport or is it culling for a reason or..? I'd assumed that the filling of the freezer, the subsistence element, was a big plus for most people, and the drive for a few.

Neil, I'm almost 63 and I've been deer hunting since I was 12. Got my first deer when I was 18. I only shoot what I eat. I've had farmer friends ask me to shoot ground hogs that threaten their live stock. One friend has 20+ race horses and the burrows are instant leg breakers. But, I don't like to shoot things I don't eat, even if there is a viable reason to do so. Some guys hunt big racks and donate the meat to the homeless and needy. I hunt for the meat on my table first, then for friends that like venison, but don't hunt. The year my hunting buddy's son was in Iraq, he shot 9 deer and made Jerky out of all of it, and sent it to the guys in Iraq. There are so many deer where I live you are allowed to take 1 buck and 10 doe on each license, Bow, Muzzle loader, and regular fire arm. I live in a neighbor hood of 1 acre lots. I got up one morning last spring and had 2 deer eating bird seed out of my big tray feeder. A lot of it is culling. One property we have permission to hunt is a "Forest Retention Area". The deer do so much damage to the trees that the land owner has a "crop damage" permit that allows him 20 doe. He can take them year round I think. He is allowed to put a couple peoples names on the permit to act as his agents. I'm not on his crop damage permit, but he lets me hunt the regular seasons. Another friend has several thousand acres of Christmas trees. He gets lots of crop damage tags. He will shoot as many as he can in one setting, scoop them up in a front end loader, and dump them on a giant compost pile. It's kind of hard to think of cute Bambi being dumped on a compost pile. To him, they are just vermin, like big rats, that destroy his crops and lively hood. When I first sarted hunting deer were so scarce just seing one was a joy. Now, my biggest joy is being in the woods with nature. I don't really care if I get a deer myself. I have enough friends on crop damage permits that can get me a deer if I strike out. Deer jerky is a real treat. I think my son could eat a whole deer in two weeks if I turned it all into jerky. I guess that would be my anser to your question. I do it for the jerky. If you would like, I'll send you some. I know John had no problem sending it to Iraq. I'll ask my post office, just in case you want to try some. Oh, I made a big pot of venison chili this morning. No one can tell the difference from beef when I make my chili. I don't try to make it so hot it burns holes in your socks. I put a touch of bron sigar in mine. It's actually my wifes regular chili recipe.

I hunt primarily for the healthy meat (very lean, and I make steaks out of as much of it as I can), also to spend time with friends and family and go on an adventure (my cabin is 2 mi in on a 4wd road, no electric, no services), and third, to get out in the woods and enjoy nature.

I try to hunt, fish and garden each year. Although the bulk of our food is still store bought, I think it helps you appreciate what you get and where it came from. The garden, and butchering a deer, is a lot of work, and you often put in a lot of hours just to get a deer. I do not always get one. I garden to have fresh, healthy stuff.

Some people have access to easy hunting (like apple orchards), other's don't.

Latest posts

Back