Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last Sunday I finished delivering a second load of Zoggerwood and got paid :)

e271436e9e571b80c440d081323c9f79.jpg

That scrounged wood paid for a new front tire on the Yanmar :)
After I unloaded I shot over to the pit and loaded a weeks worth of wood from our oldest pile , a mix of maple , spruce , fir , birch and tamarack .
Some of the wood is getting on the soft side , it's been there for at least 5 years but with this cold blast we're having , 12F out there with a stiff breeze making the windthrill -7F I can still keep the house at 72F with the draft only open an 1/8th of an inch :)
Since there's a couple of cord of that older stuff I'll burn it up first before I touch any of my few sticks of wood at home , I don't want to run out , have to ration you know ,,,,, Lol
Dancan can you tell me a bit about that little Makita, I’m thinking about buying a cordless tophandle to replace my 009. I had been thinking of the Stihl 161T when it arrives in Aus. I had read the Makita has issues with chain tensioning.

So far I've not had any issues with it but I don't have a ton of hours on it .
I bought mine from a pawn shop as a bare tool but I already had the battery stuffs so it made sense to buy it .
I've seen vids of the Dewalt rear handle having tensioner issues but I think some issues may be simply that a lot of this stuff is non chainsaw people buying tools from drill companies .
If I was going to buy a whole new complete setup and was going to use it a lot , I'd seriously be looking at a tool from a chainsaw company .

Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving/day/week. Very thankful here. First full work week I’ve been able to take off in 11 years. Really enjoyed some time hunting with my sonE03EDCC3-DF44-41AE-A764-096C1DF724FC.jpegHe brought me a nice birthday gift from Montana :)6D723E75-F0AF-44F4-9715-9B717A927F5F.jpegAnd have been having a great time with the granddaughter!!AFB39B21-4FB2-4B6B-BADD-3D4BC0DF72D1.jpegBurned some scrounged wood80F2A4AF-AD0D-4FD8-A14E-E4536000BA47.jpegAnd split up some lodge pole to fill the wood box before our first good snow this weekend (supposed to get about 8-10”)D16D42D7-F356-4B1D-9334-1389575672D4.jpeg

8 degrees out this morning, new record low for this date here. So much for global warming.
We got into the 40's today. Would like to get out for a while but my oldest daughter is sposed to "maybe" drop by today. I might sneak out and make a couple rounds quick if the forecasted rain holds off. Wouldn't hesitate but haven't seen her much since she moved back in state. New job, school, living life ECT...

I filled the wood box with my splits from yesterday put the rest in the shed. Then split another bucket 3/4ths oak 1/4 punky elm. Put me right close to 6 cord in the shed. Room for another bucket or so then I need to acquire more pallets.
Let me know how you like those chains, supposed to be a nice grind on them, I want to get a few to see what they are all about.
I need some pallets myself. Now that I have the siding on the west wall of woodshed I have a small pile of black locust to split up, then I will put the siding on the east side and a little on the back behind the wood storage areas. After that I'm going to fill a side for next years wood, I've grown tired of digging around for wood under a frozen tarp with a bunch of snow on it :yes:.

My local Stihl dealer says they are selling the electric chainsaws to the local police, so they don't have to call the Hwy Dept every time to remove minor stuff. Guess it would also be good to have in emergencies (clearing a crash site, etc).
They need to do that out here, there's always ash laying on the shoulders and many times into the lanes. Think I shared this in the summer, but last yr there was a guy who was killed on the main rd that runs from my town(Lowell) to the next(Ada, home of Amway) along the river. Its sad all the wood just rotting along the roadsides when there are so many who would be more than happy to take it, thousands of cords just laying there :cry:..
I've sold saws to cops who want them in their cruisers, but not in Michigan.

My local Stihl dealer says they are selling the electric chainsaws to the local police, so they don't have to call the Hwy Dept every time to remove minor stuff.
As long as they give them some basic training too. Chainsaw is something that 'everyone' knows how to use, and electric chainsaws are 'safer'.

I understand the idea, but wonder if it would be better for them to call the highway department, local DNR, local fire, etc. if it is not something they can move by hand. I can see a cop without PPE getting cut and . . . .

Maybe just being a curmudgeon . . .

Philbert

Here is a new concept:

I kinda doubt that the PNW loggers will like this, but it might be handy for the smaller deciduous trees that really need a wider opening to be effectively wedged. Long ago, I decided that wedging a tree wasn't very effective on short deciduous trees with a wide crown. It just takes too many stacked wedges to get the tree to reliably move over-center and fall.

I wonder how much torque that big screw can take?

Here is a new concept:

I kinda doubt that the PNW loggers will like this, but it might be handy for the smaller deciduous trees that really need a wider opening to be effectively wedged. Long ago, I decided that wedging a tree wasn't very effective on short deciduous trees with a wide crown. It just takes too many stacked wedges to get the tree to reliably move over-center and fall.

I wonder how much torque that big screw can take?

Looks great to me.
I can see some guys just running it in and snapping hinges :dumb:.

I haven't tried that. Usually just opening the ash pan door does the job nicely.
On my epa stove I get a lot of overcoaling. It loads north south, I pull the coals to the front(right by the lower air holes), then I place a shorter split across the front on top of the pile of coals, open the draft all the way and shut the door. It burns very hot and puts off great heat, sometimes I repeat this again if there are a lot of coals. The other way is to burn a smaller load of ash(wood type) or another low coaling wood real hot, but sometimes I don't have any available.
All these struggles with black locust and all our other hardwoods would disappear if I had a large stash of spruce:lol:.

Latest posts

Back