Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That isn't bad, I'd buy one.
What does that convert to in USD.
I'm sure I could find other uses for it too.
Better make sure the batteries are charged before making that back cut :eek:.

searched a bit more and found them on ebay for about £38 after postage. that's just under 50 bucks currently.

Here is a new concept:
I have seen a few versions of that over the years. No reason why it should not work. Might be an issue with larger diameter trees to have only one point of lift.

View attachment 686183 Any of you folks use one of these roller guides.
A lot of guys like those since they can see what they are filing. Designed for Husqvarna (fit most Oregon) chains - some guys have filed the slots slightly to fit some STIHL brand chains.
photo 4.jpg photo 5.jpg

Philbert

I scrounged up the Christmas tree yesterday. I think I am going to need more saw next time....
f0e4ca8ceb268430ad3f2ec4fe3b7448.jpg
0bb299eb3688edeed952860764085f57.jpg

That's for 3/8, not LP.
Silver is for 325
Black for LP
That's on the 590 so it is 3/8. Its carlton chain so that could be the problem.

I scrounged up the Christmas tree yesterday. I think I am going to need more saw next time....
f0e4ca8ceb268430ad3f2ec4fe3b7448.jpg
0bb299eb3688edeed952860764085f57.jpg
I must need to get a bigger tree we used the t handle last year.

That's on the 590 so it is 3/8. Its carlton chain so that could be the problem.
Looked smaller in the picture.
That could be. If it's riding high it will probably cut fine(little slower but the edge will hold longer), you may need to take the rakers down a swipe or two extra.

We had single digits here yesterday Morning (F), supposed to warm up above freezing today and tomorrow. I'll likely start butchering the doe.

We fixed the air inlet on the 55 Gal Drum stove up in the cabin. It is an old Sotz air tight kit, and had the optional (adjustable) air intake that closed when it got hot and opened when it got cold.

Over years of non use (the 2nd stove went in the new cabin) it got rusted stuck open and did not work. As a result, with the improved chimney in the new cabin, it would get way too hot and burn through all the wood too fast, getting cold before morning.

We fixed that air inlet and now all is well. Cabin does not over heat, and we are still warm in the morning! What a difference that thing makes!

I may need to insulate the cabin a bit. Walls are just 5/8 plywood. (20 X 24 two stories). The stove works well down to about 20*, after that you may wish for a bit more heat!

We had single digits here yesterday Morning (F), supposed to warm up above freezing today and tomorrow. I'll likely start butchering the doe.

We fixed the air inlet on the 55 Gal Drum stove up in the cabin. It is an old Sotz air tight kit, and had the optional (adjustable) air intake that closed when it got hot and opened when it got cold.

Over years of non use (the 2nd stove went in the new cabin) it got rusted stuck open and did not work. As a result, with the improved chimney in the new cabin, it would get way too hot and burn through all the wood too fast, getting cold before morning.

We fixed that air inlet and now all is well. Cabin does not over heat, and we are still warm in the morning! What a difference that thing makes!

I may need to insulate the cabin a bit. Walls are just 5/8 plywood. (20 X 24 two stories). The stove works well down to about 20*, after that you may wish for a bit more heat!
We insulated the walls in my buddy's cabin in western Maryland maid a big difference. Had a squirrel find it's way into the walls and tare some stuff up but 22 mag snake shot took care of that.

hmm, not so bad as I thought for this vrsion
https://www.shizll.com/product/jonko/

Here is a different version of the same concept. Pitch is steeper on this cone.

Looks like it works ok, but I'd have been out of that spot a lot sooner. He already cut off the branches much higher up. Why didn't he cut smaller chunks and just push them off without all the fuss? Or better yet, just cut the whole top off without fooling around with cutting off the branches?

When I'm in a tree, I want to get back down; not stay up there all day fitzing around playing with toys.

View attachment 686183 Any of you folks use one of these roller guides. Picked one up today to play with and seems to ride the file really high on the tooth.

My favorite; the only filing guide that I will use. If I don't have one of those, I just file free-form. I think they are exclusively made by Husqvarna.

If you are riding high on the tooth, consider taking down the depth gauges. I consider the "height" on the tooth to be perfect, and the best reason to use them.

The only thing bad about them is that they are sized to each kind of chain. If you have 3 different chain sizes, then you need 3 different filing guides. Myself, I have 4, and I was wishing for a 5th just two days ago.
...and damn! There are a LOT of teeth on a little 1/4" pitch chainsaw!​

I guess I made a good shot. Skinned and took the meat off the doe I got with the MZ. Deer was quartering towards me, going down hill, when I shot. Bullet went in the neck half way between head and shoulder, through the lungs, and ended up under the skin on the other side just in front of the hind quarter. Both shoulders were good, both hind quarters were good, and less than an inch of back strap got touched on the one side.

I was very pleased with the lack of meat damage! Time to start cutting it up for the freezer!

Back