Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black Birch smells like Wintergreen, Black Cherry smells real nice, but Hickory smells the best!

I REALLY like wild cherry ( black cherry).

The instant i set it on the coals i smell the sweet cherry and if i run outside i can smell it within a minute or 2.

Hickory reminds me of my smoked chicken though. The best chicken in the world (no joke you cant stop talking about it after you have had it) i tell ya. Hickory AND cherry smoked.

decce443a9bcdd1f363254a44f6c64d3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As they say down in Australia "that ain't no van":laughing:.
I saw this a couple weeks ago and was drooling over it :sweet:. Nate could even load logs on the roof rack. Steve were gonna need that tailgate lift :happybanana:.
I like these things, but if something goes wrong in the engine compartment :eek:.
View attachment 720530

Close cousin to a van, S-10 Blazer.
f0019b45e78b58f49e9f5295c1ff774a.jpg

East bay area, cali...
I've been working on a big eucalyptus blow down near my house and will have more wood than I can use. Main tree is about 4' at the base and it took 3 others down with it. Anyone needs a load or 2...you cut/or split...send me a PM.
I have a splitter that can be used...bring gas.

East bay area, cali...
I've been working on a big eucalyptus blow down near my house and will have more wood than I can use. Main tree is about 4' at the base and it took 3 others down with it. Anyone needs a load or 2...you cut/or split...send me a PM.
I have a splitter that can be used...bring gas.

Well, we're gonna need some pics to assess...

Well, we're gonna need some pics to assess...
Ha, our Eucs don't even compare, LOL
404774-4566574f165129e530b2189d6b379e80.jpg

There are 3 other smaller trees under the one in the distance. I've since gotten most of the smaller stuff...down to around 16" diameter...cut up. Still a lot of buried wood, however.
Am cutting to 15-16" rounds on the larger stuff.

Ha, our Eucs don't even compare, LOL
404774-4566574f165129e530b2189d6b379e80.jpg

There are 3 other smaller trees under the one in the distance. I've since gotten most of the smaller stuff...down to around 16" diameter...cut up. Still a lot of buried wood, however.
Am cutting to 15-16" rounds on the larger stuff.

Looks like blue gum. BTUs between black locust and osage in the Oz environment but I have read that it is less dense when grown in the US. A bit ashy but I do burn it here and goes pretty well for overnight burns. If you don't have a hydro splitter you need to split around the rings because you'll be there all day trying to split a round across the middle.

What's that Stihl you have there?

Looks like blue gum. BTUs between black locust and osage in the Oz environment but I have read that it is less dense when grown in the US. A bit ashy but I do burn it here and goes pretty well for overnight burns. If you don't have a hydro splitter you need to split around the rings because you'll be there all day trying to split a round across the middle.

What's that Stihl you have there?

Have a good splitter...8h Honda motor, 5" ram. It has no problem busting even 3-4 yr old dry Eucalyptus.

Snellerized 661 with 28" and an 16" Dan Henry 346xp husky in the pic. The 661 does better with longer bars...have a 36 and 42...than with a short 24". Quite different than my old '92 066 red-eye.

One of the other trees down is a bright red heartwood variety. There are maybe 4 different types of Eucalyptus in this little grove.

Google 'overland vehicles' - images.

Also: https://sportsmobile.com

You will need a large towel.

Philbert
Those are all looking fun to me.
We have quite a few conversion shops down by the Indiana state line, there are lots of RV companies down there and they go hand in hand.
I bought a Honda foreman off a guy who build custom sprinters, mainly 2wd though. I was very impressed with the little heaters he used in them.

Close cousin to a van, S-10 Blazer.
f0019b45e78b58f49e9f5295c1ff774a.jpg

Nice ride :rock:.
I've got his dad, the suburban :happy:.
I've built quite a few s10's, all 2wd with v-8's, very fun rides. I did a Baja conversion on a 4wd with a lift about like yours and a 327, man would it spray mud or sand :surprised3:.

Have a good splitter...8h Honda motor, 5" ram. It has no problem busting even 3-4 yr old dry Eucalyptus.

Snellerized 661 with 28" and an 16" Dan Henry 346xp husky in the pic. The 661 does better with longer bars...have a 36 and 42...than with a short 24". Quite different than my old '92 066 red-eye.

One of the other trees down is a bright red heartwood variety. There are maybe 4 different types of Eucalyptus in this little grove.
Nice saws.
Does that DD 346 do okay with that big 16" on it:lol:.
I have a good friend who has a few of them that Dan built, good little runners.

As they say down in Australia "that ain't no van":laughing:.
I saw this a couple weeks ago and was drooling over it :sweet:. Nate could even load logs on the roof rack. Steve were gonna need that tailgate lift :happybanana:.
I like these things, but if something goes wrong in the engine compartment :eek:.
View attachment 720530

That is exactly what I wanted in a 4 x 4. But my wife is not having anything to do with a van because she thinks they’re creepy[emoji23]
. So I just got a 1 ton gasser truck instead.

The truck is been a blessing in disguise though. One instance was when I took about 10 truckloads of black locust anda few logs were full of carpenter ants

Those things were all over my bed and gladly not inside of the van I wanted.

Garter snakes had a feast when those logs got home[emoji23]

Back