Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish, we get in the 40's where I live and you definitely want an air con, some places in Aus get up around 55 deg and I certainly wouldn't want to live in any of those;) I love the snow when it flies but I certainly couldn't live in some of those places in the U.S. that have a mtr or more, that would do my head in I reckon.

Where abouts in Aus are you based bigfellowscott?

Fiskars Therapy

6408cdcc9c606be5a4d1ec4d233c9895.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love that stack!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Maybe those would stay up a little better at your place.
When you were talking about the snow fencing where you saying wrapping the piles with it or putting it towards the top like was suggested with the longer wood, like stacking two rows 3' then set the fence on top, then add another foot to the top?
I think I hauled my last load in for the 18/19 season yesterday.

Nice job Rarefish, I can vouch for how hard it is when you are a fat bastard, especially a really fat bastard! LOL I was out the other day with the 394 and I wasn't on it too long and that was enough for me, more so the picking up of the rounds, they were heavy buggers and it hurt my back (I shouldn't of been lifing them to be honest) the backs not the best at the best of times and I often injure it but I rolled the dice and am paid for it so to speak (I wasn't upto splitting it there and then as it was twisted gained stuff and that's hard work too LOL.

Winters almost here, we're having a wintery blast of weather at the moment (around 0 deg at the moment with a WCF of -4) and snow falling down on the NSW and Vic Alps so won't be long before winters really starts kicking in.

The Lopi Heater is doing a great job of keeping us warm which is great to see.

Well , spring is here and it was the hottest day of the year so far , 6C lol
The ground is still frozen except for the first 2" .
I had a few hours this afternoon so ,,,

ALNNGk6.jpg

Hmm , someone's been here before me
2Lxom9g.jpg

Q2JDfLH.jpg

oiI9Cgs.jpg

Pioneerguy600 was there earlier this week and started working up this little patch that has a ton of blowdown and dead standing . I cut a tractor trail to get down there , a lot of it is ready to burn now , some is past it's best before date .

cBAdEaD.jpg

X7EZ16X.jpg

I hauled a bunch out of that tangle then headed back to the truck to bring back some of that fresh cut wood for burning .
Donkcam black spruce action shots !!!

NEtSTFw.jpg

peo0YgV.jpg

LY8iDMG.jpg

Burns just fine :)

I run the 660 or Homelite 1050 cutting logs for firewood for hours on end. But, if you look at the two big limbs on the left, they held 20’ of log about chest high off the ground. The log never really touched the drive. So, I was holding the saw much higher than normal. Kind of off balance. When I sat down for lunch my back stiffened up bad. Plus I have a pretty bad umbilcal hernia and sometimes if I lift something heavy a piece of my intestine will pop through and I have to push it back in. It was giving me a fit too. But, I in the whirlpool now, so if I don’t drown I’ll be ok.

Very nice day today. Out with my cuting buddy working up a big willow and felling, pulling a couple scrub trees. worked the 441 hard and the 361 a little bit. We did more BS than work but left with everything on the ground, the big one half bucked and the littles all laying next to brush piles. I'll probably go back and finish up tomorrow.

Farmer originally asked me to remove "all" the willows. They were planted back around 1900 in a single row for almost 1/2 mile along a stream. I was going to leave a few at the low end by his grain bins but he wanted them "all" gone. Then last week when I was working down there "I'm getting a bit of push back from the women, leave those next two" I thought of giving my my "*****" cap (given to me at christmasl a nice ball cap a wife had embroidered with "*****" across teh front) but then thought it might not be a good idea.

The row of trees are now gone exept for 5 at the top end and a couple ratty ones still to go at the bottom.

Well , spring is here and it was the hottest day of the year so far , 6C lol
The ground is still frozen except for the first 2" .
I had a few hours this afternoon so ,,,

ALNNGk6.jpg

Hmm , someone's been here before me
2Lxom9g.jpg

Q2JDfLH.jpg

oiI9Cgs.jpg

Pioneerguy600 was there earlier this week and started working up this little patch that has a ton of blowdown and dead standing . I cut a tractor trail to get down there , a lot of it is ready to burn now , some is past it's best before date .

cBAdEaD.jpg

X7EZ16X.jpg

I hauled a bunch out of that tangle then headed back to the truck to bring back some of that fresh cut wood for burning .
Donkcam black spruce action shots !!!

NEtSTFw.jpg

peo0YgV.jpg

LY8iDMG.jpg

Burns just fine :)
Looks like a great day Dan! Nice pictures as usual. Been burning a little spruce this week myself :).

Withdrawals were getting to me so I took down a yard tree that was kinda in the way for our driveway entrance 2ECB28F2-BEAB-4A8D-8FBD-F23F47726CD8.jpegglad I didn’t make the top any longerC18E71E5-65D7-4F49-86B8-E0F25908F823.jpeg milled a few boards out of it to finish up woodshed add onBE545512-D6D6-488E-B9F0-826C9F45A0A2.jpegthe ported 562 did pretty good, just under 3 minutes for 6’ cut2C24629E-F25D-4E6C-A7C5-D77B84FF042C.jpeg

Latest posts

Back