Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@farmer steve the fun didn't end when I got home.20190330_175004.jpg MIL decided it was time for the big apple tree to come down.Told her I didn't want to do it today because the wind was blowing against the way I wanted them to go but she wasn't hearing it. The right side I notched and hammered a wedge in the back cut it went right were I wanted it. Never used a wedge falling before dont know if I did it right but it worked.20190330_184245.jpg Started working them up I'll get the rest through the week.

@farmer steve the fun didn't end when I got home.View attachment 726682 MIL decided it was time for the big apple tree to come down.Told her I didn't want to do it today because the wind was blowing against the way I wanted them to go but she wasn't hearing it. The right side I notched and hammered a wedge in the back cut it went right were I wanted it. Never used a wedge falling before dont know if I did it right but it worked.View attachment 726685 Started working them up I'll get the rest through the week.

Apple is some good stuff.

I see your little ones in the picture. It is so good seeing kids involved in this. Even if they’re not “working”, they are at least OUTSIDE learning about hard work.

My boy (turning 4 in April). LOVES to go climb all over the trees i fall. Then the little guy actually like helping when its time to carry the wood. [emoji847]

You got to love those little helpers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@farmer steve the fun didn't end when I got home.

I didn't know where you were going with that for a moment there :yes::happybanana:.

Looks like summer has officially ended here, finally. Snow on the hills last night and this morning, and just the excuse I needed to light the fire. Some scrounged peppermint in there atm. Twas given the Cowcat Mk II seal of approval.

31st Mar 1.jpg

I didn't know where you were going with that for a moment there :yes::happybanana:.

Looks like summer has officially ended here, finally. Snow on the hills last night and this morning, and just the excuse I needed to light the fire. Some scrounged peppermint in there atm. Twas given the Cowcat Mk II seal of approval.

View attachment 726760

We had some snow around my area too, nothing much but winter will be upon us soon enough and my heaters been going flatout for the last few days and on and off for a week or two now.

Got out again today to cut a bit more wood, I didn't do much just wanted to get out side and have a drive and tossed the saw in just incase I spotted something worth cutting.

We had some snow around my area too, nothing much but winter will be upon us soon enough and my heaters been going flatout for the last few days and on and off for a week or two now.

Got out again today to cut a bit more wood, I didn't do much just wanted to get out side and have a drive and tossed the saw in just incase I spotted something worth cutting.

You forgot to post the pics... :thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

Went out this morning with 3 mates and cut 3 loads, stringy, peppermint and gum. (no splitting required yeah)! I love wood you can just toss straight in the heater.:rock::bowdown:

jdVX3c4l.jpg

definitely count me in on that one, too! pick it up and fits rite into the fireplace... no cutting or splitting req'd! :numberone:

Umm... that first picture don’t look like a 395..:laugh:.

The heavy snow we had this year was kinda hard on trees. Few aspen trees down at momsView attachment 725227Figured I’d try to cut this one up first and keep it off the fence. View attachment 725229Pretty tired after post holing through 3’ of snow and not doing much chainsaw/wood work all winter. Sure be glad when snow melts and wood season opens again. Weight of the heavy snow and wind snapped off a pineView attachment 725232noticed a couple more aspens on the way outView attachment 725233Havent made it around the whole place yet but I’m sure there’s more. This will be enough to help get me back in shape and stave off the withdrawals for a bit. Might even mill a few boards out of the pine.

looks like good deer hunting countryside. I like the pix... and rolling hills. reminds me of some of the ski slopes up in the Cascades...

It's a Beer hey.:D I gave up drinking beer about 2mths ago now (was good for 90-120 beers a week but it wasn't doing me any good really so decided to stop! I just drink :drinkingcoffee:now.

are you kidding? omg 2 6-pks or more a day?...

My climbing buddy turned 65 and was planning on retiring this year. A month ago he blew a disc in his back and had to have surgery. He's doing well, but says he's done climbing. He has a brand new, less than 1 hour MS 261 with 20" bar he paid right at $600, He might have said he had extra chains and bar for the saw, I forget, a snatch block he paid $200, lanyard for the block $50, 3/4 inch bull line $200, new saddle, spikes, hand saws, other smaller ropes. He asked if I knew any one interested? If any of you PA guys want to make an offer I'll pass it on. I'm going over to take a load of stuff to an auction. He has a big generator for the house, a Troy Built Horse tiller. Ill get a better inventory tomorrow and some pics. I'd buy all of his tree gear, but I'm already buying his JD with a 4'snowblower and leaf bagger, so I'm tapped out. I can meet anyone in the G-burg area, Reading, or some half way points. If some one wanted to get into climbing he has all the modern gadgets, descenders, and most of it's brand new. He said he would not sell any old climbing gear or ropes, just the new stuff.

Awesome! Can you recommend how to find decent older tractors in our neck of the woods? Kijiji and Facebook probably easiest? What should I maybe avoid completely? My family and I hope to buy one soon enough but I’d be going in half blindfolded :crazy2:

you might want to consider new, too. these days small farm rigs can be had for $100 +/- a month. small down. 25-30 hp diesel. new. payout can be 72 months... older can be one prob after another even if running good when acquired. with new u wont have to split the cases for any thing, any time soon...

Saiso, the trouble with older ones is that they can be expensive to repair very quickly. I also never buy new but with zero interest for 3, 5 or 7 years for some tractors it really make sense for someone just starting out. You will likely keep the tractor for a very long time if you buy right the 1st time. There will be no surprise repair bills other than you doing something with it that you shouldn't be doing. I've only had a couple of tractors and really liked them both. Both were more tractor than I needed when I bought them but turned out really good. I now have a Kubota L35 TLB which means it is an industrial tractor with a quick attach back hoe. I needed a basement drain installed and the money I saved by doing it myself paid for half of the tractor. If you are planning on a bandmill at some time then I would buy a model that can lift some weight and 4x4 is a must. Few older tractors are 4x4 and most don't have the rear hydraulic outlets which will be handy for attachments which you will need or want at some point.

same page, same thoughts...

for flat land I would be ok with 2-whl drive. 4 is nice. a tractor needs tools. a shredder is almost a must. box blade nice, too. diesel over gasoline. and get a bucket, too. often there are low hrs deals to be found. under 100 hrs. but, pvt seller. so bank financing. the tractor deals financed are tractor deals... not consumer loans...

are you kidding? omg 2 6-pks or more a day?...

Same amount here for too many years before I cut way back about 5 years ago. Still do 2 in the afternoons and then another 2 before bed. Doc all over my rear to quit altogether but I told him that, considering my age, if I quit at most it might cut my life expectancy by a day or two.

Sad that theres people around that still feel that way about Echo equipment.

I have 3 echo pieces of equipment. I like them a lot. my SRM 3100 weed whacker for fence line trimming is a workhorse and is 22 yrs old... been running OE since new other than tank and line hub upgrade. carb overhaul, metering diaphragm is in the works... I really like my limber/trimmer CS-271 a real lil hornet! :chainsaw:

The second half of that sounds much like the tree guys who will buy the farm ranch saws, they say if they're gonna run them over, drop them from the bucket, and straight gas them in a yr it's not worth buying a pro saw, there's only so much time to be saved on cutting a branch anyway. Yes I said that :surprised3:, it's just one type of business model and I know many will disagree, that's okay.
For people who will only run a saw once in a while(to me less than a card worth of cutting a yr) and don't run 2-stroke equipment else wise, they should just buy canned fuel. It can save a lot on repairs for the average person, and a lot of time for someone who is handy.
Your dad sounds like a great guy to work for, I'm sure he had high expectations, but it also seems he gave you what you needed to met those requirements :). I can say with certainty that's not been the case with all my employers :nofunny:.

good advice! pricey, but good fuel. I use both. gasoline I mix... and premix no ethanol. I also use a bit of premix to prime my XMark when it has been sitting a spell. I figure a bit of oil in the fuel for a start... good on the cyl walls vs gasoline washing them down... fires right up !

yep, don't need a gun when you have a donk!! AKA @bigfellascott in his younger years.:laughing:
5JOo8mG.jpg

lol - I knew a feller kinda like that. Chigger wasn't his name but close. it dint take much to fire off his 'tude! I have seen him :blob2:more than once... stomping around... " I am going to **** somebody up real fast! and I mean fast!!! if...."

lol, but he was a heck of a machinist!

Latest posts

Back