Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 740237 Today’s scrounge from last nights power outage. This was just the stuff I cut into manageable pieces that the tree service left on “my side” of the road. Got the trunk cut off the rootball. Guy up on the next road came down to see if anybody was getting the wood. Turns out I grew up with him. Offered him half the trunk if he helped me. He looked at the trunk and jumped on the idea, bringing his big backhoe down Monday to pull it out so we can cut it up. I’ll get a pic before and during cutting, trunk is probably 30’ long, 28”-24” the whole way. Had to start on top and let the saw cut down the side to get the full diameter cut with the 7900 and 28” bar, worked like a dream.

workx for me!! :D

I cut firewood mostly just for the fun and exercise. At my age (84) it is "use it or lose it". I sell willow at $120 cord and figure I lose at least $50 for every cord I sell considering fuel, equipment, etc without even counting my time. I sell it to get rid of it, got more wood in my lot than I will ever burn.

my kinda guy! way to go tk! of course... those Pac NW boys have it in them... lol

present company included.... :popcorn2:

some cutting on agenda today... but not sure for how long? definitely in the shade. heat index called for at... 110F today! :nofunny:

There is no way on earth is sell wood at prices like that. Basically firewood in the UK sells for £100/m³ for hardwood, soft wood about £75/m³. That's £350/cord. What's the exchange rate currently? Without bothering to check our must be about $500/cord. For all the effort of scrounging, cutting, splitting, stacking, drying, delivering? No chance. I would sell a few sackfuls, over here garden centres etc sell small sacks, enough for an evening for £5-6. I estimate that is £200/m³. If someone in my street wanted a few sackfuls I'd be very pleased to sell a few at that price but beyond that...no.

different locations, different markets...different motivations! but I agree with you, mate. I doubt I would sell a cord even for $500! lol :laughing:

nope! :popcorn2:

That's great your still hard at it :clap:, I hope I'm still able to do that in 35yrs, wow that makes you sound old or me young :p.
I don't think I'm loosing anything selling it even if I sold it cheaper since it's a byproduct of other ventures that are making me money, but I see no reason to as long as I have the room to store it.

me, too chipper... I hope you can, too! lol ;)

Yeah it really would be a great set up, maybe some day... too many other things requiring funds right now.
Nice fish! That’s awesome!:)

Well with the threat of snow and no trailer brakes, no chains, and a 3 mile long 12 percent grade I decided against going to high elevation area. Really kinda wanted to get the rest of that tamarack at my other spot anywayView attachment 740287thankfully it was still there, the base sure had some thick bark.View attachment 740288Was only enough for little less than half a load, so started looking for more and happed to see this....spruce!:sweet:View attachment 740289View attachment 740290View attachment 740291Good size for the 550 to get some run time too.View attachment 740292Sure like working with spruce.View attachment 740293Time for lunch, steak, egg, and coffee, ;), lolView attachment 740294Sure like the new tongs, makes packing blocks to trailer much easier.View attachment 740295Started snowing pretty good on the way back. Was about 38* nice wood scrounging temp.View attachment 740296Pretty nice out when I got back to town.

nice foto essay, Ln... and good use of horse trailer! :D

No way I would cut and split wood if I did not enjoy running the saws and getting the exercise. When my wife complains I spend too much time for what I get I tell her to pretend I'm going to the health Spa, but they are paying me instead of me paying them! It just kinda pays for my hobby … no house money in my saws.

Re: Age - My Dad always said "Mother Nature gives you the first 40 years, after that you had better work on it".

My Dad stayed in incredibly good shape till he turned 70 and had a mild stoke, which was partly the result of a neck injury he suffered while in the service. A blood clot lodged free and went to his brain. I try to stay in good shape, but I'm not as strong as he was, and he was only 5'10" and 150 lbs.! My Dad tried to eat healthy (rare for back then) and exercised regularly. It all makes a difference.

I agree with you MM... I am pretty sure I was an Ak bushman in another life, in another time! lol... 84 and still cutting wood gets my respect. a friend of mine, a rancher... is 87 and still working on his place.

when u get past that magical 40... and on a bit... its no prob to get the health spa deal for free! given good insurance. :yes:

wish I was 150#'s! lol.....

:cheers:

View attachment 740350 Found another truck that's peaked my interest. Pretty clean for a PA truck. 183k, stock 7.3 save for a gtp38r which after some research is basicly the same as stock save for a ball bearing center section. Wasn't realy looking for a diesel but you cant do much better then a clean unmolested 7.3 350.

imo, pretty nice for 183K! roadster red don't hurt neither...

For anyone who cares: My F-150 eco boost (2.7) is running on premium (93) and has been giving me good mileage with careful driving. Combined Hwy/Cty on the last 2 tanks was 21 MPG on the meter (20 MPG calculated). With the cruse control at 70 on the Interstates I get about 23 MPG on the meter, and about 18/19 locally. Real MPG is about 1 less.I'm sure the 10 speed tranny helps. It is very smooth.

lol....

speaking of trucks... where I get my oil changed... the guy there has a Ford truck... '03. gasoline... 433K miles on it! all in all, not in bad shape either!

of course, it's like many things. just a combination of parts. take care of it and do the R&R as need be... and the miles are of no issue. as long as a vehicle remains serviceable (condition) it will run on forever ~

or close enuff to qualify! ;)

I went out yesterday with a couple of mates to help cut them a couple of loads of wood, we have a new section of the property to play in at the moment so figured we'd go and have a look and cut some wood from there, the windrows are about 20-30m long and approx 3m high with some nice peppermint, stringy and gum in them so some nice firewood in general.

We took the little 250c out again for it's final run to absolutely make sure it ran as it should and it was spot on, no issues with starting it when hot at all, hopefully its sorted now and can go back to its owner. Also ran a little 170 that a mate was given after doing some lawn mowing and trimming hedges, it's like new and did a good job for a little saw.

FNZ7ixH.jpg

c9Hi9qXl.jpg

mQ5WxVFl.jpg

My firewood getter..at least until I finish my trailer. I washed it today which I do at least once a year. I might even treat her to a wax job this year since I've had it for 5 years. It's a '13 that I bought new in '14.
The board slot in the bed liner is brilliant. Keeps gas cans, saws, etc from sliding around which is especially helpful when I have the tonneau cover on, and don't have to belly wiggle all the way in!
d090a1f2da8bdd692445787d611ad722.jpg
26be0d532214d79ef47eaf035649737c.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Is anyone familiar with the line-x spray on bed liner?

https://linex.com/bedliners

Supposed to be quite a phenomenal coating but who knows?
The plastic liner in my ute (we don't call 'em trucks down here) has cracked in the corners. Apart from that it has handled everything I've thrown at it. If the line-x coating is as durable and tenacious as they claim, then I wonder if it might be a better option than a plastic liner on the next ute. But I tend to take the claims of any coatings supplier/applicator as a very rough guide only until I learn of real-world history of average users.

I had a 99, biggest issue was a broken leaf spring, guess you're not supposed to pull a 60' house trailer thru the sand with them :laugh:. I really liked mine except the 14qt oil changes :surprised3:, but just like most things in life you can pay up front or in the end. 183k isn't much for a 7.3, actually it isn't much in general for an older truck. What was it previously used for, towing a camper?, when I'm ready for something different I'll be looking for a garage stored truck that pulled a camper in the summer.
It was used to pull a dump trailer for fire wood.

Nice looking truck! Was once a Ford truck person only and owned a few in that body style. Only suggestions is check front end and steering box, if he will let you raise it up. My 04 F-350 6.0 diesel ruined my Ford run, after 12+ trips to dealer for engine problems.
Its got a redhead steering box installed. So shouldn't have to worry about that.

The plastic liner in my ute (we don't call 'em trucks down here) has cracked in the corners. Apart from that it has handled everything I've thrown at it. If the line-x coating is as durable and tenacious as they claim, then I wonder if it might be a better option than a plastic liner on the next ute. But I tend to take the claims of any coatings supplier/applicator as a very rough guide only until I learn of real-world history of average users.
My Silverado (Ute) has a sprayed in factory bed liner and it holds up quite well. I know a couple guys that tried the do it yourself bed liners and neither would be recommended. Best info I can give you.

Its top of the line.

Rhino Linner has moved on to industrial type coatings they are not really in the truck market anymore. Its not their focus.

Get the lineX

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I split the wood I got from the power outage scrounge today, pretty good haul. Getting the trunk Monday, Tuesday if the predicted thunderstorms hit. Looking forward to running the 7900 smurf with 28” bar again. Before and after pics.

Attachments

• 2387AB31-1112-4070-BB3A-07D0D9B922E4.jpeg
    2387AB31-1112-4070-BB3A-07D0D9B922E4.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 22
  • A2B22F1A-063C-484D-8554-0785E977A747.jpeg
    A2B22F1A-063C-484D-8554-0785E977A747.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 25
I split the wood I got from the power outage scrounge today, pretty good haul. Getting the trunk Monday, Tuesday if the predicted thunderstorms hit. Looking forward to running the 7900 smurf with 28” bar again. Before and after pics.

Thats a killer wood pile!!

Nice work on ALL of it[emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Latest posts

Back