Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting screwed out of 100 degree club.

It’s -25 on the house and the living room was 74 degrees before the power went out. I woke up to the smoke alarm going off from the steam blowing out of the overheat purge as the boiler overheated after several minutes with no pump running.

Oof. Where are you at?

He's in northern MN. 200 miles south I'm only -10. Don't even have to put on boots to fill the OWB. Keep the crocs on until -12 :)

Hope you get your powr back soon SVK.

Gotcha. I delivered some work benches to a factory in Thief River Falls back in October, looked like a frozen wasteland then, can't imagine how frickin' bad those winters must be.

Gotcha. I delivered some work benches to a factory in Thief River Falls back in October, looked like a frozen wasteland then, can't imagine how frickin' bad those winters must be.

It doesn't get as cold there as where SVK is but I think it's worse in the TRF area. Lots of farming and open fields. No wind breaks. -25 is cold as heck but it's tolerable if you are not sitting in a 15 mph wind.

4 hours and 50 minutes without power. The boiler purged itself at least 4 times during that time and the top of the boiler was measuring about 280 before the external 235 purge would let loose. Had to refill the boiler with straight water to get the system working again.

I had the propane fireplace going all night and was holding 74 degrees in there before the power went out. By 7:30 am that fell to 64 degrees and it was about 54 on the far side of the house. Ironically I lit the wood fireplace about 20 minutes before power was restored.

It doesn't get as cold there as where SVK is but I think it's worse in the TRF area. Lots of farming and open fields. No wind breaks. -25 is cold as heck but it's tolerable if you are not sitting in a 15 mph wind.
Agree completely, even though we are in the coldest part of the state but much preferable to being out in the western plains where the wind blows nonstop from mid Montana. I ****ing hate wind!

I saw the outage map and figured where the issue probably was. On the way to town this morning I saw that the electrical right of way was all plowed out around a handful of poles right at the corner of the outage map. Couldn't see any issues there so not sure if a tree exploded and took out the line or if something more failed.

I hate our power co-op but certainly feel for the linemen who had to fix this ******** on one of the coldest nights of the year.

I promised a Blue Fishing pic from back in the day - the boat was named the Colleen (my Mom's name). I'm wearing the hat, my brother Matt w/o a hat, and Mechanic Matt from when he was a good looking little tyke! Obviously, we were using spinning rods with surgical tube lures at the time (with a diamond jig up front, they were known as banana splits). We later went mostly to metal jigs.

Attachments

• Bluefish-Colleen.jpg
    Bluefish-Colleen.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 33
TSC had the 25 ton for $799 + tax, $847 otd. After watching used ones sell all summer for $700, I couldn't jam the ol' Discover card in the scanner fast enough.
Family Farm and Home had a 25 ton with table and 4-way for $799. I was there when they opened. by the time I bought mine they had already sold 3 others. The manager told me he didn't think they'd sell 3 all day. They had about 15 assembled and ready to go

My kids pitched in and got me a rescue cat for Christmas. Appearently I need a pet and not just the mangie tom cat outside. One of the daughters had her for a month to make sure she was house trained and social. Her roomie conveniently works in a rescue shelter and was able to locate her within their provider network.

I had told them only a spayed female could be in the house and I preferred a Siamese. They came up with this character "Natalie" a lynx point Siamese. Fancy name for a tabby crossed Siamese.

So far her favorite activity is playing fetch the fake mouse. Which she woke me for twice last night (her first here). She is about 2yrs old so pretty small which makes her suited to be an inside critter. Am hoping she is a mousing machine cause she sure plays one well.
img20191218_161700.jpg

Family Farm and Home had a 25 ton with table and 4-way for $799. I was there when they opened. by the time I bought mine they had already sold 3 others. The manager told me he didn't think they'd sell 3 all day. They had about 15 assembled and ready to

go[/QUOT

The Countyline did not come with a work table, I will have to fab up my own. Also going to build a guard to go over top of the powerhead.

My kids pitched in and got me a rescue cat for Christmas. Appearently I need a pet and not just the mangie tom cat outside. One of the daughters had her for a month to make sure she was house trained and social. Her roomie conveniently works in a rescue shelter and was able to locate her within their provider network.

I had told them only a spayed female could be in the house and I preferred a Siamese. They came up with this character "Natalie" a lynx point Siamese. Fancy name for a tabby crossed Siamese.

So far her favorite activity is playing fetch the fake mouse. Which she woke me for twice last night (her first here). She is about 2yrs old so pretty small which makes her suited to be an inside critter. Am hoping she is a mousing machine cause she sure plays one well.
View attachment 781078

Super. Last cat went to the great litter box in the sky about 3 years ago at my place, and the wife said no more. We will always have dogs however, and the last 3 were all rescues.

4 hours and 50 minutes without power. The boiler purged itself at least 4 times during that time and the top of the boiler was measuring about 280 before the external 235 purge would let loose. Had to refill the boiler with straight water to get the system working again.

I had the propane fireplace going all night and was holding 74 degrees in there before the power went out. By 7:30 am that fell to 64 degrees and it was about 54 on the far side of the house. Ironically I lit the wood fireplace about 20 minutes before power was restored.

Steve, be careful introducing straight tap into your boiler. The temperature difference could crack it. Ever put an ice cube in hot water???

I promised a Blue Fishing pic from back in the day - the boat was named the Colleen (my Mom's name). I'm wearing the hat, my brother Matt w/o a hat, and Mechanic Matt from when he was a good looking little tyke! Obviously, we were using spinning rods with surgical tube lures at the time (with a diamond jig up front, they were known as banana splits). We later went mostly to metal jigs.

LOVE the shirt Uncle Mike. Dang, I used to be cute, what happened.
If you could, make me copies of those or email me them so I can print them.

Latest posts

Back