Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's still hovering a couple degrees below freezing. The dogs water skimmed over in a half hour. The kids moved into their new apartment Sunday. The hearth has been stacked with all their stuff and wedding presents. So, it was nice to get a fire going. It was 66 in the house, on the heat pump. Like usual I was in shorts and crocks. But I was just chilly enough I had a long sleeve shirt on. After it got going I cut the damper way back. Next thing I know I had to get rid of those long sleeves. It was up to 72 in the house. That's about as close to the hundred degree club as I want to get. I'm good down in the mid 20's and that's about it. There are only so many pairs of shorts you can put on and your legs start to get cold. There is an old Norwegian saying, "There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes". If it gets below 20, I have to go get all new "good" clothes.

No bugs, beers cold.
Out checking the ice on my crossings.View attachment 780326

great pix! winter all the way! I like it. :D I like the cold, too... maybe not that cold. lol. don't have to keep the beer in refer once popped. no bugs, but I hear some up N still have them...

Well, darn, snowed out. Temp here finally dropped back to normal season. hi's/lo's right around freezing.

hi turnkey - been down around freezing here of late, too. few hours each morning. covered the tomatoes. I have a handful to pick today. stay warm...

I'd be happy to make a lap and not bin it in spectacular fashion like Guy Martin. A bit long but realy shows to what level that guy is wired differently from the rest of us.

I am for sure, not wired like that! not on 2-wheels anyways. as a youth, living just S of London... my dad had a British friend who raced TT on dirt. his class was sidecar. 2 riders. we used to go watch him race. kinda wild! I remember all the action in pits, the dust n dirt flying as they flew by... and the smell of the fuels exhausted into the air. my dad commented to me one time: " he is doing good, #3 now... sometimes he has the ba**s... and gets over the edge and wins!' usually the winners run on the edge, or just a bit past it... 'no guts, no glory!' thx for the vid...

Yep, if you make it thru the race you are a winner :numberone:. Good video, never saw that one, didn't seem long at all.
If you've never had a bike over 150 or had the front tire off the ground at 100 then it's hard to fathom how fast they are going, and even having done those things what they are doing is at a level that's un-perceivable to me :dizzy:. I'd still like to buzz that course, but the same woman who asked me to stop riding may have something to say about that, she probably saved my life :heart:.

nope, never have! you have? omg... some vids or pix, please... well, at least frt wheel off track as you scream into the turn... ;) :D

just something simple ~ :p

With extreme cold tomorrow, I emptied 5 gallons of ash and coals out of the boiler. Would have liked to let the coals burn down a bit more but didn’t feel like flipping back to propane for another 24 hours. The old ash bucket is out in the middle of the driveway in 8” of snow so all of the coals can safely burn out.

I have to be careful cleaning out fireplaces. hot coals can be hidden. next day stuff usually use my old metal pail...

thanks! Yeah I will definitely be looking for help if I decide to try and make the splitter a project. I think they said it was a 10-ton, that's kinda puny, yes?

it is not 25-T, but it will do a lot of splitting. there are ways to get smaller tonnage to act like the big boys...

Sounds like a deal, for him lol.You store it and keep it running so he can use it when needed :).That's why I like to buy them and then sell them when I'm done for a while, I get my wood split and make a couple bucks and I don't have to store it. This burning season is the first time I haven't sold any splitters and I have one here in around 8 yrs, I didn't have one then :eek:.

my splitter is 35 yrs old. still splits & looks like new! :D

View attachment 780910 View attachment 780911 View attachment 780912

I have one of those, used to sit about 6inches off the ground with no vertical option. I bought it 4th hand for $200. I say used to sit 6inches because the third owner raised it to Waiste height. Split a ton of wood with it the two years I used it. Wife runs the lever and I try not to loose any fingers. Daughters stack....

The Briggs that was on it always had carb issues. I’m to cheap to buy a carb kit, brother in-law was throwing out 16hp Honda snowblower when bought a Quad with plow. Guess what motors gonna make its way to that poor splitter...... yup, that’s the smarts I got, carb kit is probably less than $20, but I’ll spend $100 to make the engine swap work.

some old pics of my “skidder” and the wood processor

good farm pix! I liked them. :)

In case you guys were wondering what I look like. Snowblower selfie!
d9c8836be309593e0693333dc543223b.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Back