Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Odd but nice weather eh Chipper?

50 degrees and sunny [emoji23]

Motorcycle are out and our yards still have snow [emoji1787]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
Crazy, got another row done in the woodshed today, almost done with that pile of locust. Gonna start pulling from the big pile in the front to finish this side and to get all the wood from around the big elm in the pile, then I'll split some of the big red oak/locust pile in the back yard.
Saw a couple bicyclist riding by this week/weekend, the guys who like a challenge come up the hill out of the river valley, the lightweights stay on the flats in the river bottom :yes:.
Man i missed out on a KILLER scrounge. About 10 BIG oaks and some other trees are being taken down by the county a couple miles from my house. They are widening the shoulders and re-paving With one of those fancy machines are county just bought that scoops up the old Blacktop and spits it back out new.

Appertaining it is ALL claimed by 2 guys[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

We will see how they handle it themselves. They now know im anxiously interested.
Don’t think they realize how much wood it’s going to be. Its so much wood it would justify a nice new 48” bar for my saw. ........ anyone make a lightweight bar that long?

Ill keep you posted chipper[emoji6]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
Just keep after them, most likely they won't get it all.
We'll be down that way sometime this month again, I could probably help out then :cheers:, that's for us working together, not drinking :lol:.
Had to add that in there since this has become the what you drinking these days thread :laughing:.

That was crocks, spell check didn't believe me and changed it.
I saw that and was like o_O.
I've had that happen many times when I'm posting from my phone :badpc:, then when I'm on the computer I see it and correct it ;). Most times it makes for a better experience for everyone, sometimes leaving it would be fun for others, but not as much fun for me lol.

Got another CL load of red oak on Saturday. As green and heavy as ever.
I was too sore to unload, so I thought I'd try the jackhammer on the rounds. It worked really well!
5-Gallon bucket for scale in some of the pics.
View attachment 794837
That's what I'm talking about :rock:.

Doesn't look like the hackleberry we have here. I think we're equally north so it is found in our region. Hackleberry has wide furrows with very smooth bark between narrow ridges.
My guess is 1st one is black walnut. 2nd one could be elm.
You sure about that :rolleyes::lol:.
Your description is exactly what this looks like, no way it's walnut, and it's not elm as far as I know.
Only reason I posted it was because Jeff brought up the other tree and it looked a bit similar and the range shown on the map for "hackberry" made me second guess myself. With all the guesses of it being elm I'm even more sure it's not :laugh:.

There are more than one kind of Elm out there, and trees that grow in different places often look a bit different.
When I was up in Wisconson a couple yrs ago there was an oak I was looking at, it was obvious from the leaves it was an oak, but the bark looked nothing like any oak we have here.
I have two types of elm here at the house.

20200203_145259.jpg Decided it was a good day to start cleaning up the shorts/uglies pile and start filling the cage.20200203_145830.jpg This is where shorts and uglies go to season. Just toss them in and forget about them.20200203_152652.jpg Got about 1/3 filled with that truck load. Theres at least one more truck load to go. The cage holds enough to heat the house for a couple weeks or more when full. Saves the good stuff for another time.

Hey guys was wondering if anyone new anything about Husqvarna 61? My uncle has one that hasn’t been used much maybe 100 hours and said I could have it for 100 bucks
Good saws, lots of available parts, several different cylinders fit them. If you do go with the larger cylinders you need to drill and tap one hole to mount the newer top cover that matches the taller cylinder. But we’ve covered that in a dedicated thread here.

Dragged a load home and did some hand splitting. My pops checked himself in to the hospital today with some intestinal issues this morning, so the hand splitting was a bit of “therapeutic relief” for me. Depending on the cat-scan results will determine if I head over the river after basketball or not....

@MustangMike Putnam Hospital Incase you didn’t know

Sorry to hear about your Dad.
Is that a cutting axe or splitting axe, bit looks rather slim to me?
I have the 36” and 28” version in the wedged shaped splitting axe, love them both. I bought the 28” for my oldest son but I have fell in love with it, it splits almost anything but the really large stubborn rounds. The 36” gets those big ones or the 261 does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back