Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decided it was a good day to start cleaning up the shorts/uglies pile and start filling the cage[/ATTACH] This is where shorts and uglies go to season. Just toss them in and forget about them. Got about 1/3 filled with that truck load. Theres at least one more truck load to go. The cage holds enough to heat the house for a couple weeks or more when full. Saves the good stuff for another time.

In the past I 'sorta' stacked them against a fence to season and then burned them first at the beginning of the season. Last year I cut around 16 cord and am still working at split/pile - still have about 3-4 to go. I got way more uglies than I can use so am tossing them on top of the 'sale' stacks. I'll have to explain to customers that that stuff is extra in addition to the cord(s) they bought. 2 years ago I sole over a cord of them to a new customer at leas than half price just to get rid of them.

So, apparently, I’ve been using a 3/16 stihl file to touch up my 3/8 chains for the past year...

I noticed when I was sorting through my files, and the pack of brand new files I bought last summer say 3/16. Guy at the local dealer must not have had his glasses on.

Ugh.
They still work, maybe not quite optimum though.

Indeed, they did. Looks like I’ll need to grab a pack of files when I grab my bar and chains from the other dealer I use.

Oh well. Such is life.
I have come across a lot of 3/8 and .325 chains that look like the were ground on one of those tiny wheels for 1/4" pitch chain. Little tiny gullet about the size of a toenail's thickness. They cut much better once you square things up with the right wheel or file!!

I have come across a lot of 3/8 and .325 chains that look like the were ground on one of those tiny wheels for 1/4" pitch chain. Little tiny gullet about the size of a toenail's thickness. They cut much better once you square things up with the right wheel or file!!

I was hunting for my last new 1/4 file for the 015L, which is how I noticed.

So, apparently, I’ve been using a 3/16 stihl file to touch up my 3/8 chains for the past year...

I’ll need to grab a pack of files when I grab my bar and chains from the other dealer I use.

Consider it as an experiment. Let us know what type of difference you notice when cutting?

Philbert

Sorry to hear about your Dad.
Is that a cutting axe or splitting axe, bit looks rather slim to me?
I have the 36” and 28” version in the wedged shaped splitting axe, love them both. I bought the 28” for my oldest son but I have fell in love with it, it splits almost anything but the really large stubborn rounds. The 36” gets those big ones or the 261 does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a chopper, handle is about 24inches. I think x17 is the equivalent. I love that thing!! I also have a 36in x27. The 28in I think is the x25

SVK is the guy to ask....

You may want to get some files for them toenails :laugh:.

Latest posts

Back