Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll go with @MustangMike on the 261.CM. I did the upgrade from the old 026 last fall. Pretty much the saw that goes to the woods with me now. Like @chipper1 mentioned they can be a little finicky on intial startup (4-6 pulls cold). Air filtration is great compared to the old 026.
I'm gona have to stop up and take that thing for a spin one day. Still think the 462 would make a great 1 saw plan with a 20 and 28. Will the 261 change my mind?

I'm gona have to stop up and take that thing for a spin one day. Still think the 462 would make a great 1 saw plan with a 20 and 28. Will the 261 change my mind?
I thought you ran it at the GTG? Yea the 462 would be a good 1 saw plan if I was 30 years younger.:rolleyes: :innocent: :laugh:

I mean if the 261’s price tag doesn’t scare you away I’d go with that.

I liked my 241 but power wise it didn’t compare to a pro 50 cc saw. The M-Tronic ran superb though, better than any AT saw I’ve used. Granted I’ve not ran any AT or MT saws newer than 2017 model year. So it comes down to personal preference. Do you want to give up 25 percent of your power for a 10 percent weight loss?

I thought you ran it at the GTG? Yea the 462 would be a good 1 saw plan if I was 30 years younger.:rolleyes: :innocent: :laugh:
Nope didn't run the 500i either. My 490 and the 261 are the same weight so I don't see how i could be disappointed with the extra power the 261 has.

I mean if the 261’s price tag doesn’t scare you away I’d go with that.

I liked my 241 but power wise it didn’t compare to a pro 50 cc saw. The M-Tronic ran superb though, better than any AT saw I’ve used. Granted I’ve not ran any AT or MT saws newer than 2017 model year. So it comes down to personal preference. Do you want to give up 25 percent of your power for a 10 percent weight loss?
Yes price is what scares people away on the pro saws. I would have thought a lot harder at buy-in the 261 AT MSRP but over $100 less sealed the deal. My poor little 241 hasn't seen much action since the 261 came along. You wouldn't think 10 cc would make much of a difference.

The 261 is great power for it's weight (I'm talking the Ver II which is 1/2 lb lighter), but I would pick the 462 as an all around saw, even if I'm not 30 yrs younger than FS!!!

The two of them make for a great combo. You generally won't need anything else and the bonus of no tuning and infrequent air filter cleaning makes them no brainers!

Thanks all.

I think I’m sold on the 261CMv2.

I have a 361 and 461 right now; and a modded 310 as backup; which is up for sale locally.

Another member offered me a great deal on a 261CMv2, so I’ll probably jump on it.
That 310 is a great saw, to bad it weighs almost as much as the 461 :(.
You'll like the 261vs2, great saws.
Yes price is what scares people away on the pro saws. I would have thought a lot harder at buy-in the 261 AT MSRP but over $100 less sealed the deal. My poor little 241 hasn't seen much action since the 261 came along. You wouldn't think 10 cc would make much of a difference.
Right, did you see the one in the trading post the guy paid 750 for o_O(appears the thread was removed now, it went south pretty quick).
Glad you got yours for 650:laughing:.
I know a guy for the 241, or are you saving it for retirement :popcorn2:.
The 261 is great power for it's weight (I'm talking the Ver II which is 1/2 lb lighter), but I would pick the 462 as an all around saw, even if I'm not 30 yrs younger than FS!!!

The two of them make for a great combo. You generally won't need anything else and the bonus of no tuning and infrequent air filter cleaning makes them no brainers!
It's really hard to beat in the 70cc class its in or in the 60cc class, its so light.

The filtration is nice as is the AV, best husky that stihls selling :happy:.
Competition does produce better products sometimes and then we win, I thing we are all winning with the 462.
The ported 261vs1 I have and the 462 is a great 2 saw plan, I'm on the hunt for a ported vs2 and a ported 462 now :D.

It has been a great saw. When I got the 361, I was schooled on what a “good” saw is. So much faster and lighter for bucking up trees.
The 361 is a great saw, but with the weight savings of the 261vs2 I'd guess you'll have it around more as an extra saw with a sharp chain to keep things moving. To gain .4 hp for over a full lb just doesnt sound to great to me, while the 361 is a great one saw plan its not up to the performance per lb the newer mtronic saws have.

There are people out there trying to keep their one and only saw running, that cut more per month than most of us cut in a year or more. Respect to those peeps.

that said, my vote, if a smaller saw like the 241 isn't needed, the 261v2 is the go and may well bring yours back to a two saw plan. In fact, I'd sell the 361 and put the money towards the 261

Back