Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes. That reminds me, Cowboy, if you're reading this, did your old man get his 241 and if so how does he like it and what did it cost him please? They are absurdly expensive here. People look at them and go 'you gotta be sh1tting me'. I don't think Stihl NZ sold many.

Yes, I delivered the 241 in December. He gave it a squirt last week (too hot and full of bushfires until then) and this was his report:

"I gave the new chainsaw a workout yesterday. It certainly cuts well and is quite big enough for what I am likely to cut. And being lighter than my old one also helps"

The 241 has about the same power as Dad's old 031AV but about 6 tons less weight. It was $1500 AUD for the 241 but that also includes 2 x 0.325 RS chains, sprocket and bar to match and a bottle of stihl 2-stroke oil. That was the set-up that Randy recommended when I got mine so I just got the same again. I now have a spare picco chain, bar and sprocket. Gave Dad the receipt so I can't tell you exactly what the saw would have been in standard form.

If the saw works as you want it to, never mind what people said about it.
Just seemed like something fun to try since I have a second muffler. I don't really care what most people think. Lots of people on this site would tell me I'm nuts for putting a new rear handle and some other parts on a 36 year old busted saw. I have a soft spot for the 3400/4000 poulans. Someday I'll find a 4000 at a price I can afford.

Just seemed like something fun to try since I have a second muffler. I don't really care what most people think. Lots of people on this site would tell me I'm nuts for putting a new rear handle and some other parts on a 36 year old busted saw. I have a soft spot for the 3400/4000 poulans. Someday I'll find a 4000 at a price I can afford.
I doubt many of the modern saw fanboys or builder groupies have ran a larger cube Poulan from that era. People do not really understand until they do ;)

You can never have to big of a saw. My two go to saws now are my Dolmar ported 7910. And the 395xp I even bought a 24 inch bar for it. With the 36 inch bar I need two work benches to sharpen it.View attachment 795536 View attachment 795537
Well, I would agree that you can never have a saw too big. But, can you have too many big saws? I think I have 10 over 90CC's. I made 6 new shelves last week. The top one has 3 Homelite Super 1050's, 2 run. One has a 24" bar, one has a 36" bar, and the non runner is holding the 45 inch bar so I don't misplace it. I do stuff like that. The 99CC Mac starts, but I've never cut with it yet. Here lately, cutting all this dead Ash, I cut up all the stuff from wrist size to leg size with my Echo 305 or MS170. Then up to 20" with my Echo 500VL or MS290. The 660 with 25" bar gets most of the rest. The last time I fired up one of the big ones was when I finished putting the shelves up and started all of them, then I had to go lay down for two hours.

Spent Tuesday on the farm plinking. Mid 60's, sunny. Odd weather for WV. Shot all day off the 50 yard bench. First shot made a donut out of a clay pigeon, second shot made a necklace out of a quarter. That was the Ruger #3 Custom in 25-35. The more I shoot it, the more I like it. Shot the 22 HiPower, 250 Savsge, the AR, and several 22's.20200204_125012.jpg

Attachments

• 20200204_211115.jpg
    20200204_211115.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 11
Spent Tuesday on the farm plinking. Mid 60's, sunny. Odd weather for WV. Shot all day off the 50 yard bench. First shot made a donut out of a clay pigeon, second shot made a necklace out of a quarter. That was the Ruger #3 Custom in 25-35. The more I shoot it, the more I like it. Shot the 22 HiPower, 250 Savsge, the AR, and several 22's.View attachment 796006
Winning!

I would move to Idaho in a heartbeat. My buddy moved to Boise from LA a couple years ago.

If I could find a good It job and land for the homestead, I would relocate right now.
Oh... he’s one of “those” .., guess he didn’t get the memo, we are FULL, lol.
It’s still a great place and you would be welcome but it is changing a lot with all the people coming in.
Might have to move to Wyoming next:cool:

Oh... he’s one of “those” .., guess he didn’t get the memo, we are FULL, lol.
It’s still a great place and you would be welcome but it is changing a lot with all the people coming in.
Might have to move to Wyoming next:cool:
He’s a true Californian, a Gun loving one.

He owns Varminter.com. Huge hunter, and loved hunting all over California. But, their politics and anti-gun laws drove him out.

He’s good people.

He’s a true Californian, a Gun loving one.

He owns Varminter.com. Huge hunter, and loved hunting all over California. But, their politics and anti-gun laws drove him out.

He’s good people.
Yeah I figured, just giving you a hard time. Most of the people that come here are trying to get away from that stuff.

My wife called and told me the road a friend lives on was closed, to call and see if they could get out. It's a friend that had a stroke several years ago and he's just getting around in a wheel chair and cane on clean level ground. Turns out a Tornado went thru. He had at least 6 big White Pines snapped off about 30' up. 3 across his driveway.I got there and 3 neighbors were trying to gum their way thru the logs, all dull saws. One FINALLY got thru a cut with his Husky and said, "that thing sure has a tough knot in it". I laughed and said, "if you stop cutting the asphalt under the log the knots will get a lot softer." I finished up the two bigger logs with the 660 and 25" bar. They had a stupid woman out on the main road, the car in front of here drove over a downed power line, so to keep from running over it, she got out and picked it up and moved it. Well, she didn't move it far enough, ran over it, a loop flipped over her tire, and as she tried to speed away, it snatched her whole car sideways and down a bank. Anyway, every one was standing around admiring their good work. I said, "I'm getting the hell out here". They all looked at me like I was nuts. I said, "you are all standing here, in 30-40 mile per hour winds, talking about the big trees that blew down, In The Wind. More are on their way, see ya.".

Should’ve went with my gut. I stopped going to the tree service that has a logging road with piles of wood everywhere that you can take for free. I kept finding junk wood or nails in everything.

Ran out of wood to split so I thought I’d stop by to take a look. Couldn’t resist a giant oak.
Hardly even buried my brand new chain and 32” bar in a HUGE pc of oak.

Just destroyed every cutter on my brand new chain[emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

****ing nails in the tree[emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoj

Yes, I delivered the 241 in December. He gave it a squirt last week (too hot and full of bushfires until then) and this was his report:

"I gave the new chainsaw a workout yesterday. It certainly cuts well and is quite big enough for what I am likely to cut. And being lighter than my old one also helps"

The 241 has about the same power as Dad's old 031AV but about 6 tons less weight. It was $1500 AUD for the 241 but that also includes 2 x 0.325 RS chains, sprocket and bar to match and a bottle of stihl 2-stroke oil. That was the set-up that Randy recommended when I got mine so I just got the same again. I now have a spare picco chain, bar and sprocket. Gave Dad the receipt so I can't tell you exactly what the saw would have been in standard form.
Thanks for that. NZ$1300 here in standard set-up. I preferred picco up to 16" beyond which chip clearance made .325 better if burying the bar often. I tried to find a 20" picco bar, intending to try skip chain but never could before I sold the saw.

Back