Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i ran a tank through the 365 today and after last time when it seemed to be bouncing off the limiter constantly I went armed with my carb screw. 1/8th turn anticlock and it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa bur waaaaaaaaaburburblewaaa at WOT and clean in the wood. preet good i thought but just to check Iwent another 1/8th rich and yes it was burbling more although still ceaning up, bu didn't seem as willing in the wood. I went back lean that 1/8th....much better.

@muad 100LL as in avtur low lead aviation fuel? do you know that the octane scale/calc used for aviation fuel is different from road fuel? you'd think RON is RON, but no, there are many slightly different calcs/scales used. IIRC 100LL is about the same octane as UK 95RON, which is also about the same is US standard road fuel ...err 89? so while it may be a fuel issue, the fuel isn't tht different I think.

Skidding Cones

I miss the discussions of skidding cones for scrounging firewood, especially the home-made ones. Wasn't there a discussions somewhere in this thread (@dancan maybe?):

Homemade skidding cone
Aaron (Eccentric) stopped by today and we had a chance to test the skidding cone my buddy Jaye fabricated for me. The blue material is heavy plastic from large water drum. Jaye (the guy sitting on the log) put some bolts in the blue plastic to hold the shape, then inserted a traffic cone with...
www.arboristsite.com

Easier skidding?
I have been cutting some firewood off my property, and skidding it with my lawn tractor that I weighted quite heavily in desperate search of (free) traction. Right now I am in the process of making my own bolted rubber tire "chains" and I am going to weight the front of my tractor as well...
www.arboristsite.com

etc.

Philbert
There was only a surprisingly small difference between just using the plastic drums with the slightly tapered bottoms:
4307_1.jpg

compared to cutting the bottom out and tapering into a proper cone like you mentioned.

My first attempt was the latter and a mate 'borrowed' it because it worked so well. So, I had to make another but just cut the top 1/3 off the drum and a hole in the bottom and it worked almost as well if not the same as the fully tapered cone.

Some of you might remember last time I used my MS461 the idle started running the chain pretty fast. Well I just got to looking at it. I don’t know what the L screw was set at because I was turning it by the time I realized I engaged it. The H screw was close to where it was supposed to be, all the way out. I reset the L screw as per the Stihl manual I found online (All the way in, & back out a 1/4 turn). I also put on a new Stihl air filter. I had an aftermarket filter that was too fat to fit all the way in, and wasn’t sealing. I cleaned it with carburetor cleaner, with the saw bar pointed up, so everything would run back out. Then I let it air dry a while, before putting it back together. The spark plug didn’t look perfect, but still some life left in it. I ordered two new ones. It started up easy, and the chain was barely inching forward. I couldn’t set it per the manual. It says turn clockwise until the chain starts to run, then back off 1-1/2 turns. It died before I got to 1-1/2 turns, maybe a little past one turn. So I just went back to where it started running the chain, and backed off just enough to stop the chain.

60B69489-1890-4105-809C-3EB2697CCBC4.png

One of my friends wanted a hand to drop a few dead standing spruce around his property this afternoon so as I headed to his place around 1:00pm .
Had to do a detour loop because the Federales had the road closed , not a hint of fire when I pointed the Ef3Fiddy to my new planned route .
Well , it was on when I come through from the other direction
I parked the truck at his upper parking spot and walked down to his place , I had Spruce to cut !

i15DrS3.jpg
h7UGDhW.jpg
wcLIuHB.jpg

ofaYrrw.jpg

But
AUIFnS2.jpg

Even though the wind was blowing away from us the Federales came down and told us to evac .
dq2KwUn.jpg

My Spruce as well as my buddies house will be safe , this is the second go round for a fire with similar conditions , 2008 was the last one .

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/west-porters-lake-fire-halifax-evacuation-1.5582068

There was only a surprisingly small difference between just using the plastic drums with the slightly tapered bottoms:
4307_1.jpg

compared to cutting the bottom out and tapering into a proper cone like you mentioned.

My first attempt was the latter and a mate 'borrowed' it because it worked so well. So, I had to make another but just cut the top 1/3 off the drum and a hole in the bottom and it worked almost as well if not the same as the fully tapered cone.
I use these to ferment beer.

Some of you might remember last time I used my MS461 the idle started running the chain pretty fast. Well I just got to looking at it. I don’t know what the L screw was set at because I was turning it by the time I realized I engaged it. The H screw was close to where it was supposed to be, all the way out. I reset the L screw as per the Stihl manual I found online (All the way in, & back out a 1/4 turn). I also put on a new Stihl air filter. I had an aftermarket filter that was too fat to fit all the way in, and wasn’t sealing. I cleaned it with carburetor cleaner, with the saw bar pointed up, so everything would run back out. Then I let it air dry a while, before putting it back together. The spark plug didn’t look perfect, but still some life left in it. I ordered two new ones. It started up easy, and the chain was barely inching forward. I couldn’t set it per the manual. It says turn clockwise until the chain starts to run, then back off 1-1/2 turns. It died before I got to 1-1/2 turns, maybe a little past one turn. So I just went back to where it started running the chain, and backed off just enough to stop the chain.

View attachment 830181
Hope this helps
http://www.madsens1.com/saw_carb_tune.htm

@muad 100LL as in avtur low lead aviation fuel? do you know that the octane scale/calc used for aviation fuel is different from road fuel? you'd think RON is RON, but no, there are many slightly different calcs/scales used. IIRC 100LL is about the same octane as UK 95RON, which is also about the same is US standard road fuel ...err 89? so while it may be a fuel issue, the fuel isn't tht different I think.

Not sure. But, Kevin helped me out and I'm getting close. She easier to start now. I think we're almost there. I can at least start her now without holding it WOT and cranking forever.

That last bit is the key bit. I wiped the glass of the stove at our old place when the glass was stihl quite warm (could touch it) and it clouded the glass permanently. :(
I usually clean mine with a terrycloth towel dripping wet when the glass is warm, but not hot, then I hit the streaks with steel wool and she looks great afterwards.
I like the glass door for sure so I can see :blob2: .
Had some friends over yesterday since it's "legal" now :rare2:, had a nice little fire.
Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 9.32.57 AM.png

Yeah just little stronger, lol. You need one;)
A dealer...?.:oops::omg: , sorry to hear that, lol. Hopefully it’s a good one. Good luck buddy, let me know when your coming through and I’ll put the coffee on:drinkingcoffee:
I have one of the Reese hitch style ones, but then I have to hook it to a battery. Sure I've only used it one time, pulling a buddies MG onto the trailer to take it to the paint shop, he just let me know he's ready to take it to the engine shop now :).
Yes, they seem to be pretty good, they do a lot of shipping to other states. One of the big issues you can run into is extra cost relating title/registration/taxes buying out of state, I usually find a dealer that knows how it works and at least talk thru the options with them. One I talked to said "we don't do that"(sell out to of state buyers, this one was like "we do half our sales to out of state buyers". I talked to the guy for 50 min lol.
A ford I hope ;)

I need a winch in the f-tree fiddy. would make pulling on a log, or yanking someone out of the ditch, much easier.
Well, I just found a chevy down in ohio today, it even has a winch :rock:.

I use these to ferment beer.
Now for something completely off-topic: i finally got some resin from my local supplier after they got back to bidness after the lockdown. Proceeded to roll a sealer coat on the bottom of that coffee table project. There was some sort of contamination on the surface and i was getting major separation and fish-eys, etc. Looked terrible. Sand and clean it down real well, change the pots I mix the resin in, new roller, etc. Same result. You probably know this but I had to learn the hard way that laundry detergent sometimes has silicon in it to limit the foaming/suds produced. I was using rags I buy in bulk, that are cut up clothing. So, sand that mo-fo surface down again but wipe it clean with acetoned paper towels and let it dry. Apply the third coat and it goes well. Thank fark for that as I was gonna have conniptions in a major way if it failed again. Looking forward to seeing the back of this project.

Well, I just found a chevy down in ohio today, it even has a winch :rock:.
A strong winch is worth it's weight in gold. Takes the FEL to put this one on & take it off.
Bought a portable 1 ton Champion yesterday for little stuff. A little concerned with the duty cycle but I don't work very hard any more ;)
1547418526951.jpg

Thought maybe you guy's that scrounge wood, might share some of your scrounging methods with the seemingly growing crowd of newbie wood burners. From what I have been reading, they would be quite appreciative to hear how you score, and where you score. There is a lot of useful and interesting information scattered throughout the firewood forum. I thought it might be nice to share some of your experiences in one thread, for those who are just starting out and maybe those who are struggling a bit. Thanks to anyone who cares to share.
I put an ad on face book and craigslist for tree companies a place to drop off their wood. I offer to accept large rounds because I have a 3 foot splitter that goes on my Bobcat. I take pine and hardwood. I get a lot of wood from 3 different companies. Even sold some because I have some much and do not want it to rot before use. Good Luck

Back