Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Appalachian Trail is awesome. It ran within a couple of miles of my uncle’s former home in western NC. Would be awesome to hike it all. I’d probably start at the north end in late Summer and head south.
I did a thru hike in '96. Georgia to Maine, March to September. Was a good time.

Got out for a scrounge on Friday. Certainly glad that the trailer had electric brakes. Reckon there was close to 3 tonne on there. Was a beautiful day for it. 20200529_135849.jpg20200529_135302.jpg20200529_182132.jpg

Attachments

• 20200529_104000.jpg
    20200529_104000.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 19
  • 20200529_135849.jpg
    20200529_135849.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 20200529_135302.jpg
    20200529_135302.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 17
  • 20200529_092823.jpg
    20200529_092823.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 18
  • 20200529_121810.jpg
    20200529_121810.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 15
I had a bunch of zogger wood waiting to be cut up. I had 3 logs on the ground and the limbs laying cross ways on top. Previously I'd cut it in place. Cut until I'm tripping on pieces, then Huck em in the pile. I cut the rest of the pile today and I really like it. Load and cut a few pieces then toss the hunks and repeat. I found without having to move forward into the pile to cut, that I wasn't tripping over the cuts. Plus the lessened fatigue from using the saw at waist height instead of bending over. And I never nicked dirt or had to hold a piece with my foot while cutting. I'll call it a win.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
You raise a good point there Jeff, cutting small stuff with one foot on the log is never pleasant.

Visited the old man’s place with the kids yesterday to do some splitting, the neighbour had a large Tallow wood taken down and got the arborist to remove a section of fence and drop off about a cord. Started splitting with the X27 tried for some time but achieved zero split and 100% bounce, it was totally useless. Then tried my dad’s cheap box store splitter and it just cracked through each and every log pretty much first hit time every time.
1590925784320.png

Then went into the front yard to dice up an Angophora which hit the house in a storm a few months ago and finally got taken down by the insurance company. This time around the X27 was a dream and the box store splitter struggled. The little fella was very keen to help out, until he hit his shin with the hatchet

Put 2 tanks of fuel though the 7900 noodling the crotches.
1590925817254.png

Today did some gardening, converting a rose patch to a vegetable patch, the patch is currently full of onion weed (which I despise) so decided to dig it out.

Was digging under the onions and getting my hands under the plants to attempt to remove the bundles of tiny onions.

This guy was about 4” from my hand when I spotted it, it’s a Sydney funnel web the deadliest spider in the world. One bite can kill a grown man, luckily not me today!.
1590925862879.png

Attachments

• 1590925817627.png
    1590925817627.png
    626.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 1590925862112.png
    1590925862112.png
    943.1 KB · Views: 10
Just be carful there OZ lumberjack, I've heard some of the current utes have been known to snap in half 4WDing with heavy trailers.
What species is the Eucalypt?
Thanks @Jeffkrib took it pretty slowly. Yes I have heard of some of the old D40 Navara's bending chassis rails before. The wood was mostly stringybark, but found one decent log of yellowbox. Probably a third of the trailer is yellowbox and the rest stringybark.
Boy that yellowbox is tough stuff. I tried the tungsten chain because where I was cutting was an old logging coupe and the logs had dirt on them from being dragged by the skidded. Gotta say I was very impressed with the tungsten chain. Cut that full trailer load in a couple of hours. Usually I'd be touching up the chain every second tank of fuel because of all the dirt in the bark.

Visited the old man’s place with the kids yesterday to do some splitting, the neighbour had a large Tallow wood taken down and got the arborist to remove a section of fence and drop off about a cord. Started splitting with the X27 tried for some time but achieved zero split and 100% bounce, it was totally useless. Then tried my dad’s cheap box store splitter and it just cracked through each and every log pretty much first hit time every time.
View attachment 832389

Then went into the front yard to dice up an Angophora which hit the house in a storm a few months ago and finally got taken down by the insurance company. This time around the X27 was a dream and the box store splitter struggled. The little fella was very keen to help out, until he hit his shin with the hatchet

Put 2 tanks of fuel though the 7900 noodling the crotches.
View attachment 832391

Today did some gardening, converting a rose patch to a vegetable patch, the patch is currently full of onion weed (which I despise) so decided to dig it out.

Was digging under the onions and getting my hands under the plants to attempt to remove the bundles of tiny onions.

This guy was about 4” from my hand when I spotted it, it’s a Sydney funnel web the deadliest spider in the world. One bite can kill a grown man, luckily not me today!.
View attachment 832392
Must be a bad time of year for the funnel web. My brother in law lives in western Sydney and went out to get a load of wood yesterday and was just stacking it at his house and nearly put his hand on one that was in the timber. Reckons it was a cranky beast too. IMG-20200531-WA0000.jpg9bfe11a1a956443fb19bbec12e3a0e7a.jpg102b7e2a139c4001981ef04b51b1768b.jpg

My brother in law lives in western Sydney and went out to get a load of wood yesterday and was just stacking it at his house and nearly put his hand on one that was in the timber.
Do you guys kill 'em, 'cook 'em, or just let them be?

Philbert

The domestic terrorists destroyed several things in Duluth and even dragged a convenience store employee out into the lot while kicking her. Of course everyone videoed it and didn’t lend a hand. Thugs were lucky that the law abiding citizens were at home due to curfew.

We’ll see what happens today when they show up on smaller towns closer to me.

I’m going to go out and start noodling/splitting some aspen rounds.

Some pics of the big silver maple my brother had to have dropped. I noodled a bunch of the log and my brothers cut limbs. I'll be hauling some later this week.View attachment 832454View attachment 832455View attachment 832456

Tree company caught me coming out of the grocery store the other day, asked if I wanted a load of silver maple. I, stupidly, said sure, i'll take it. I don't need it but couldn't turn it down. Full 1 ton truck of logs not bucked rounds. Now I am trying to find someplace to stack it when cut/split. I estimate about 1.5 cord.

Wild, wild wind after downpours most of the night - wiped out all my plans for the day.

Latest posts

Back