Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I close my windows when out scrounging this time of year so the truck doesn't fill with blackflies Lol

When I go fishing in summer, flies are a problem. Out typical flies don't bite but are annoying. But I have found that there are actually a finite number off them. I take some fly spray and after a while of buzzing around my face while fishing they eventually settle on my back. Then I sneakily grab the can of fly spray and give them a shot over my shoulder which just about kills the lot. Then no more flies. I figure that I already ingest plenty of poison so a bit more on occasion won't hurt.

Do you guys kill 'em, 'cook 'em, or just let them be?

Philbert
I thought about killing it but while I was thinking it disappeared into a pile of rocks I’ll be moving next weekend.
In any case I figure they’re all over the garden so what’s the point of killing it.

I continue to be grateful the worst insect (native) we have is a wasp or a bee, we've no nasty native arachnid, no bears or wolves, no sharks or crocodiles, and our worst snake, the adder is really quite rare (I have seen one.... when mtbing moving at speed so I surprised it crossing the trail....I had to hope over it or squish it). Even the adder bite is just a bad bee sting for most people I think. It's easy to relax in the UK in countryside!

I’ve worked on NF roads like that. Work right in the road, and nobody comes by. Usually. When one of my son’s was little there was a tomato plant at the end of the road. I told him a logger must have had tomato on his sandwich and some seeds dropped, then a tomato plant grew. He’s 21 now and still remembers that, he questioned me telling him that‘s how the plant got there. I asked him how he thought it got there, he thought about it, and no answer.

About 20 years ago my uncle had a dog that loved tomatoes. He would get into the garden and eat them off the vine. One day my uncle looks over at the horse manure compost and sees a giant tomato plant with huge tomatos on it. Could fiquire out where it came from till he saw rex the dog pooping on the manure. Seems he pooped out some seeds and they grew

We have more and more of those but luckily (knock on wood) they haven’t been destructive.
They have been raiding the barn cats food and started getting expensive. Plus growing all the sweet corn I do I'm not messing around. They go up the road 5 miles to the state hunting land.

They are the reason I don't even try to grow corn, but if I did grow corn, I would not be so generous with them. They likely find their way back in a day or two, and in NY you are not supposed to move them and let them go (can spread disease).

I trap wood chucks with a have a heart trap using sliced cucumber. You have to get rid of them if you want a garden.

They are the reason I don't even try to grow corn, but if I did grow corn, I would not be so generous with them. They likely find their way back in a day or two, and in NY you are not supposed to move them and let them go (can spread disease).

I trap wood chucks with a have a heart trap using sliced cucumber. You have to get rid of them if you want a garden.
I've had trouble with rabbits this spring. I planted some chokeberrie, dogwood, and nannyberrie bushes. The rabbits went to town on them, so the dog and I have been taking them out.

You can fence out rabbits and most other critters, but not Racoons or Woodchucks.
A guy I know fenced off his garden with 6' fence. One day he accidentally forgot to close the door and the garden was full of deer. He shut the door and they all just leapt the fence LOL

Another lesson learned the hard way this weekend. Don't coat with epoxy resin in high humidity. I now have a milky/cloudy coat over the legs to that coffee table project. Yes, the irregular/uneven surfaces that will have to be hand sanded to get into the nooks and crannies to get all the cloudy resin off. I have become a walking, cussing poster child for everything that a muppet can stuff up when epoxying.

Does anyone else notice that since we got the new format of AS, pics take much longer to load?
I'd be surprised if Xenforo (the forum platform this site uses) don't have an add-on that can automatically resize uploaded images. The bandwidth costs of this site must be yuge such that it surely must be worth paying for the add-on.

I'd be surprised if Xenforo (the forum platform this site uses) don't have an add-on that can automatically resize uploaded images. The bandwidth costs of this site must be yuge such that it surely must be worth paying for the add-on.
Xenforo probably does. But the owners and admin have made it clear they want to keep this place going with as little maintenance as possible. That’s not a dig, just the truth.

Well, protests were held in the second and third largest towns in the county over the past two days and not a single arrest was made to my knowledge. Reports of out of town looters were unfounded. Also unfulfilled were the promises of destruction by the terror organizers on Facebook.

Back to your regularly scheduled program.
8BBD3CBB-387A-4CDE-AF3B-F1BA7F0136F7.jpeg

Latest posts

Back