Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love home grown tow-maters! Those look delicious!! My favorite variety are Brandywine's (spelling?). Stupid good sliced for sammiches, on burgers, or with just salt!

hi muad - thanks! we tried them as fall tomatoes, the big beefs... ok, but for summer stock have been very impressed with them. totally delicious, that is for sure. I am going to try a garden experiment. I like garden experiments. over on another thread... poster said his dog randomly ate the tomatoes (with gust) right off the vine out in their garden... the dog had to go... and relocated some of the seeds. right where the cows had pattied up... err, oops, down. dog relocated by chance the seeds to top of a patty. and omg, he said... big tomato plant and really big tomatoes. I am not short by any measure of 'patties' lol... and some accumulating outside our new Ranch Park area now that the cows have been keeping their social distancing off it and my bluebonnets areas. was thinking of stock piling some 'rounds' over in one spot... just build up a cow pattie compost pile. think i will bring one home and try a tomato plant in it this fall. sounds like a good garden experiment to me...

new Ranch Park at ranch. cedar posts. RR ties on the H's... will truck in some boulders for area over in corner that is a bit arid. was old county road back in the 20's... 3 gates now to get to main compound... :)
PA210029.JPG

hi muad - thanks! we tried them as fall tomatoes, the big beefs... ok, but for summer stock have been very impressed with them. totally delicious, that is for sure. I am going to try a garden experiment. I like garden experiments. over on another thread... poster said his dog randomly ate the tomatoes (with gust) right off the vine out in their garden... the dog had to go... and relocated some of the seeds. right where the cows had pattied up... err, oops, down. dog relocated by chance the seeds to top of a patty. and omg, he said... big tomato plant and really big tomatoes. I am not short by any measure of 'patties' lol... and some accumulating outside our new Ranch Park area now that the cows have been keeping their social distancing off it and my bluebonnets areas. was thinking of stock piling some 'rounds' over in one spot... just build up a cow pattie compost pile. think i will bring one home and try a tomato plant in it this fall. sounds like a good garden experiment to me...

new Ranch Park at ranch. cedar posts. RR ties on the H's... will truck in some boulders for area over in corner that is a bit arid. was old county road back in the 20's... 3 gates now to get to main compound... :)
View attachment 832845

LOL!

May have to grab a few cow patties and throw them in the raised beds then! Our three Jerseys make enough to spare! LOL

.....just build up a cow pattie compost pile. think i will bring one home and try a tomato plant in it this fall...
One year at the mill, the owner was hired to haul off a large pile of manure for the new owner. Behind the barn was another patch of poop that was full of 5' high volunteer? pepper plants of different varieties. The plants were full of huge peppers! We went home with a bag each.

LOL! May have to grab a few cow patties and throw them in the raised beds then! Our there Jerseys make enough to spare! LOL

ha! right, well... if u run out just give me a ring! :rolleyes: will send u up a bundle. but sorry, cannot guarantee 'Free Freight'... hmm... maybe if I put them on eslay... and include a Best Offer with Free Fgt... well, maybe that could help... ;)

Texas cow patties pix:

[ deleted ]

One year at the mill, the owner was hired to haul off a large pile of manure for the new owner. Behind the barn was another patch of poop that was full of 5' high volunteer? pepper plants of different varieties. The plants were full of huge peppers! We went home with a bag each.

on the way to downtown here in Houston there is a polo horse park and stables. in the past I got some of their 'savings'. but I found it to be a bit hot. lots of N! so let it cool off some. the peppers encourage me even more to try some Texas sun cooked (dry) cow fertz...

sorry, I ate all the tomatoes!
Image result for image tomato plant growing in cow manure

speaking of scrounges... does scroungy count as topically ok? ;) plenty of campwood and such, oak avail in my immediate area. few minutes walking distance away. missed some from last storm, next day was tree pick up. corners and curbs all over the city still have piles of wood. couple of my neighbors put some out day after pick up. should be there for a bit... month at least! lol.

so we had these scroungy spuds. picked up a 5# bag at grocery whiles back. looked like reds, new spuds to me. but more yellowish inside. almost yukon gold like. din't care for them as spuds. boiled or otherwise. ok, but just not as tasty or sweet as fresh new potatoes. go the urge yesterday to try and see if they would oven roast up nicely. well, wow! home run. glad we tried. and bette yet had these to much on at dinner. actually, its all I had for dinner! lol. plenty leftovers, too. I do like oven roasted spuds! :yes: that and a good cold :givebeer:

hot out of the oven, 'melt in mouth' type and totally delicious...
PB110036.JPG

on the way to downtown here in Houston there is a polo horse park and stables. in the past I got some of their 'savings'. but I found it to be a bit hot.

The University's Ag campus is only a few miles from where we live, and they used to have piles of sheep manure free for the taking. I used to be amused to see these really nice Volvos pull up, and folks filling nice, new, matching, Rubbermaid totes with _____ for their gardens. Then, they decided to monitize it, or not to deal with it, so now I have to go to a local nursery yard and pay for it.

Philbert

The University's Ag campus is only a few miles from where we live, and they used to have piles of sheep manure free for the taking. I used to be amused to see these really nice Volvos pull up, and folks filling nice, new, matching, Rubbermaid totes with _____ for their gardens. Then, they decided to monitize it, or not to deal with it, so now I have to go to a local nursery yard and pay for it.

Philbert
When anyone talks about manure I think of this track from Da Yoopers.

Philbert
I Hve a barn full of sheep manure. Come and get it. The last 2 winters have been to warm to haul it out. Good sh!t!!!!

I looked through my chains today, and took two 36s, a 28, and a little ole 24” to be sharpened. my 28s weren’t with the other chains, the 28 pouch was there, but empty. I need to look more places. Maybe they got stuck under the seat when they got dull.
I have nails marked for all of my chains, then on a rainy day I start sharpening. My Stihl dealer has a chain special, buy one, get one free. I used to think he jacked the price up for the first one. Then I bought a 20" 3/8 for my MS290 at Southern States, the dealer was 3 dollars cheaper. So, now I wait till I need several chains and drive the extra 10 miles to the dealer. Then I started stacking the new chains, in their boxes, over the nails. But, I have the habit of putting the dull chains back in the boxes when I'm in my truck. Don't want to snag my new interior. Now every time I grab a box off the shelf, it's a dull one I forgot to take out and hang on the nail.That buy one get one is a sweet deal when getting 25" and 36" chains. Only down part is, even though he has a couple 880's on the shelf, they don't stock any .404 chain.

Steve, where did you find that truck with no back seat? I didn't think they made them anymore?
I got a truck with an 8' bed in 2008. My brother got one last year. They're rare. I fact we say "if it's got a back seat, it aint a truck". Just not natural.

Well my new truck/station wagon has 2 back seats lol.
20200530_204942.jpg
Just swapped my shelf from the suburban to the excursion today along with the gobs of gear piled in the back :surprised3:.
I thought it was funny it fit. Also I had to trim a part of the smaller back piece so the door would close, which means the cargo area is smaller up to the height of the shelf, but it gets wide a little higher up and I think its taller overall.
I need to make a holder for the front of my pole saw, looks like there is a perfect slot in the console for a piece of plywood to fit, then I can cut a notch for the saw to rest in. This should keep it off the top of the middle seat and from moving forward. I may make something similar for the very back that will help keep it from moving forward even more. While it hasn't been an issue its good to think about these things.
20200602_210123.jpg20200602_211044.jpg20200602_212018.jpg

Back